Why did Roger's rebrand there gear to those Big R kits?

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had 5 ply memriloc and eight ply xp8.Those one inch tom mounting pipes suck away tone and volume.
If i get hold of another one i would look into a different tom mounting system.Rims ?
Still wish i had kept them all the same.
I’ve heard this and while they do reduce the resonance some, tuned properly and in the range the drum likes, mine sing just fine either mounted or on a stand. They’re just great drums that sound great are affordable and were the most innovative company at the time (IMO).

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
People crack me up talking about how ugly Roger's Big R kits are.

Come on people, it's a badge and bass drum spurs. Do you think the ladies out on the dance floor are looking at the drum sets whispering to each other "yeah that drummer ain't half bad but did you get a look at those god awful R's on the badges and those fat legs holding up the big drum"?

Get over it and listen to the drums. I mean no one says a word about those ugly Pork Pie plates used for badges so why so stuck on the Roger's Big R?

Actually, you guys are right. The Big R kits are just hideous and not worth playing let alone being caught in public with. Better to leave those unwanted cheap ugly kits to us bottom feeders.
So you would have no problem wearing a lime green sweater with purple polka dots if it kept you warm? Same theory, no?

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Am I reading this right? KOA is a wrap. Ace
Yes, KOA is a wrap. KOA or "Koa" is actually a true wood, and the Rogers KOA wrap is a plastic copy of that wood.

Amosguy's drum set was rewrapped by member Jccabinets. As his name references, he's a cabinet maker. He rewrapped a set of Big R drums in genuine Koa wood veneer--not plastic. These are those drums. Phenomenal. Incredible, actually. The effort was documented in detail on the Rogers Owners Forum website a couple of years ago.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, KOA is a wrap. KOA or "Koa" is actually a true wood, and the Rogers KOA wrap is a plastic copy of that wood.

Amosguy's drum set was rewrapped by member Jccabinets. As his name references, he's a cabinet maker. He rewrapped a set of Big R drums in genuine Koa wood veneer--not plastic. These are those drums. Phenomenal. Incredible, actually. The effort was documented in detail on the Rogers Owners Forum website a couple of years ago.
Here is that post on DFO as well.

dexter74

Reaction score
I did 4 gigs this weekend with my 5 ply big Rs. Loved every minute with them. And just try to tell me this isn't a classy looking kit. (Yes, I've added new spurs)

Attachments

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember when Rogers switched to the Big R badge and memriloc system. I thought it was state-of-the-art cool at the time. So versatile and modern looking. I still feel that way.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score

Just to be technical. That makes them XP9s..............ba dum crash Ace

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I love my 1980 XP-8 Londoner Six outfit

Been steadily gigging 'em since last fall & they're perfect for my jobs
Stock tom pipes (cut shorter) and they resonate with full tone just fine using Aquarian Texture Coated batters over Remo Ebony resonants.
Got the matching-year 6.5 Dynasonic to complete the set so I'm always ready for action!
My band loves 'em too!

SN852209 (2).JPG

!SN852208 (2).JPG

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I love my 1980 XP-8 Londoner Six outfit

Been steadily gigging 'em since last fall & they're perfect for my jobs
Stock tom pipes (cut shorter) and they resonate with full tone just fine using Aquarian Texture Coated batters over Remo Ebony resonants.
Got the matching-year 6.5 Dynasonic to complete the set so I'm always ready for action!
My band loves 'em too!

View attachment 393035

!View attachment 393032

Cutting the tom arms shorter is the way to go, if a player feels the tone is a little off. They are not that expensive to replace if the need arises. In fact, a person could buy some spares on ebay, maybe not in pristine condition, and cut those - while putting the originals aside. For most setups, it's only 1 or 2 arms---not really a big deal....

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cutting the tom arms shorter is the way to go, if a player feels the tone is a little off. They are not that expensive to replace if the need arises. In fact, a person could buy some spares on ebay, maybe not in pristine condition, and cut those - while putting the originals aside. For most setups, it's only 1 or 2 arms---not really a big deal....
That's what I did! My originals are safely stored. Also, shove a champagne cork into the tubes for even better isolation.