header.nohb.html

Why do I hate almost every China I play?

DavedrumsTX

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So when you say wuhan are you talking about a brand name or are you talking about the old ones I used to get in the 70's and 80's for cheap and that I think were actually from WuHan China. I went through a lot of them they were easy to get in the San Francisco bay area at that time. They were my favorites. I also liked the A Zildjian swishes from that time - they had a very nice Ahhhhhhh... sound to them. pahhh pahhh p-pahhh. I think that's what Mel Lewis used back in the day.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
20" Sabian B8 Pro (my favourite China cymbal, very thin and washy sounding)
22" Wuhan China (Much thicker and can be used as a 2nd Ride cymbal)

Some of the best sounding China cymbals, to my ears, are in the lower price ranges.
Mick

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have my Zilly 18" Swish. unimpressive finger hit, but maybe it will get better once I hit it with a stick. It seems pretty one dimensional from finger hits, but that is a pretty lame way to pre-judge a cymbal LOL

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Zilly Swish speaks a bit easier, the PST5 speaks pleasantly and the Sig Precision speaks nicely when struck hard- however: struck too hard, it's brash.

If I could combine the Swish and the PST5, we'd have a winner...

ivmike

Reaction score
I use only one china: the Paiste 2002 Novo (18") - I use it like a crash; there's a wonderful obnoxiousness to it and it records like a dream. It has a longer sustain than a typical "mounted-upside-down" china type and I prefer it to the Swiss Crash.

I also have a 22" Paiste Traditional Swish (which again, I use as a crash) and it comes out for the more "polite" gigs, and it too sounds like magic in the studio.

One of these days, I'm going to get a bog-standard 2002 China Type (20" or larger) and drill it for a pile of rivets, just for fun.

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think I am narrowing it down: bigger and lighter is what may get that elusive sound I am wanting. If I could find a 20" lighter weight swish or Paiste China, I may find the sound. Maybe a 602 or Masters could be the one. It can't be a custom. I think as cool as the JR Robinson 24" Swish is, that's too much between the size, weight, and B8 alloy. Lighter weight and larger diameter would probably be the recipe for perfection.

Reaction score
I think I am narrowing it down: bigger and lighter is what may get that elusive sound I am wanting. If I could find a 20" lighter weight swish or Paiste China, I may find the sound. Maybe a 602 or Masters could be the one. It can't be a custom. I think as cool as the JR Robinson 24" Swish is, that's too much between the size, weight, and B8 alloy. Lighter weight and larger diameter would probably be the recipe for perfection.
What weight would you be looking at?

markkarj

Reaction score
I too have a love/hate relationship with China-type cymbals. I suppose the brashness of the sound takes some getting used to.

I had a Sabian B8 Pro 18" for a number of years, which in retrospect was pretty good for an intermediate cymbal.

I tried a Sabian AA Fast Chinese, but it never quite gelled for me.

Today, I have a couple of EFX cymbals (a 16" Zildjian ZHT, and a Sabian SR2), plus a 22" Zildjian Crash of Doom. My favorites though are my 16" and 20" Istanbul Agop traditional series China-types... just the right combination of brashness and musicality.

chakosticks

Reaction score
My current Chinas. I don't ride on them, just use them for trashy crashes, usually in unison with the snare for explosive effect.

18" Zildjian A China Boy Low (1323g): low pitch as the name implies, trashy, darker medium loud. My only China for most of my life until I went on a binge.
17" Zildjian K China Boy (1164g): Trashier than the above, explosive, LOUD
18" Paiste 2000 Mellow China (1247g) - As the 'mellow' in the name suggests its probably best for low volume settings, metallic trash sound, I'm selling this one as I have no use for it
19" Zildjian K Custom Dark China (1488g) - Almost as loud as 17" K, capable of being both trashy and gongy. Sounds very similar to 17" K actually. Contrasts nicely with the Sabian below.
16" Sabian AAX China (785g) - low-pitched, fast, paper-trashy, really like this one actually, it's a bit on the quiet side though especially compared to the Zildjian Ks.

Azoth

Reaction score
Maybe I buy them too small, or heavy. Maybe I buy them too expensive, as well. I don’t know.

I am hoping to try a Paiste PST5 18” soon. The sound sample seems promising, but so has every other sound sample. There was one that I hated behind the kit, but sounded decent on recordings. I would like one that sounds great both behind the kit and on recordings.

Input?
I was just about to start a "Am I the only one who hasn't found a decent china-type?" thread, before finding this.
I've just come to realize that I really need to test them behind a kit. Listening to them on Memphis' MyCymbal.com always sound horrible the way they demo them as if they're a ride. I'm a Paiste guy that uses a mix of 2002's and Dark Sig. I'm sure they can't all suck. I wouldn't even consider them, except I now can see a place for one with the new band I'm playing for. The search continues...

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was just about to start a "Am I the only one who hasn't found a decent china-type?" thread, before finding this.
I've just come to realize that I really need to test them behind a kit. Listening to them on Memphis' MyCymbal.com always sound horrible the way they demo them as if they're a ride. I'm a Paiste guy that uses a mix of 2002's and Dark Sig. I'm sure they can't all suck. I wouldn't even consider them, except I now can see a place for one with the new band I'm playing for. The search continues...
I only laugh because I resemble those remarks!

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alpha was a very underrated series.
Agreed. I have three currently but will only buy the ones made in Switzerland. I like the look of the Swiss made ones better and I have it in my mind that they are better cymbals. Absolutely nothing to base that on, just my thought. Well, it seems as the years went on the Alphas became kind of a "Heavy Metal Music" line for Paiste and that is not my thing.

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
Agreed. I have three currently but will only buy the ones made in Switzerland. I like the look of the Swiss made ones better and I have it in my mind that they are better cymbals. Absolutely nothing to base that on, just my thought. Well, it seems as the years went on the Alphas became kind of a "Heavy Metal Music" line for Paiste and that is not my thing.
I have a Swiss made Colorsound Alpha.