Why do US sellers NOT want to ship to Canada?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining your point again but I got it the first time. You seem to not be getting mine however. My point is whenever you buy something (product) to re-sell it for more money (profit) to people you don't know (Customers), you are running a "business". Most businesses looking to make it "worth the effort" look to reach as many customers as possible to make the most revenue. If you wanna sell your product to people only in your home town, that is your choice. I don't care what you do with your odd cymbal or snare. We will be fine. Most of the really nice rare stuff is in Europe, Australia and Japan anyway. I was pointing out to my fellow Canadians that there are easy ways to ship and receive shipments Globally. I think that that "sheer laziness" comment from another member has struck a nerve. Ha!!!! Oh, and stop using "What you are saying is....". What I said is exactly what I said. I don't need you putting your skewed interpretation on my words.
And perhaps you could stop imposing your viewpoint concerning every US seller's obligation to act like an international sales conglomerate to enhance your buying experience.
And enjoy those sour grapes you get from Europe, Australia and Japan.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Higher shipping costs within the US have also been a frequent theme on the forum. Shipping across an international border is inherently more expensive, unless you are ok with contraband of all sorts flowing across (in either direction). Any tariffs involved have not changed in decades. And if buyers are paying shipping, the extra cost is not a disincentive for sellers to ship to Canada. You are using a tenuous connection to the subject of the thread to make political points.
Shipping from California to Buffalo is less than Shipping from Buffalo to Toronto, which is kind of goofy. The border should not be that big of a deal when we have a Free Trade Agreement. The extra costs are not Tariffs, they are provincial tax and brokerage. Having said that, no idea why anyone would want to buy from there under these conditions, unless it is something rare and cannot be found here.

Canbeats66

Reaction score
And perhaps you could stop imposing your viewpoint concerning every US seller's obligation to act like an international sales conglomerate to enhance your buying experience.
And enjoy those sour grapes you get from Europe, Australia and Japan.
Where did I say that every Ebay seller should ship globally an act like an international sales conglomerate? You must have a very active imagination. Let me say this for the 3rd time!! I don't care what YOU do with YOUR property. Comprehend English much?? Lots of people are saying that its a hassle to ship here when it isn't. Just because you didn't do it properly, thus creating yourselves "hassles". doesn't mean that is the norm, thats all. Imposing my viewpoints? Perhaps you should understand what "my viewpoint" actually is before making a statement like that, ya? Its not sour grapes that most cool and rare stuff is outside North America because most drum companies offered limited editions in those regions that were not offered here. I buy tons of gear from all over...and I thought the comments section is the place specifically for individual opinions, no?..yet you tell me to keep them to myself. Who exactly do you think you are to make said demand? Give your head a shake man.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since my last post in THIS thread, I have had an issue shipping to Canada.

The package was opened at customs and not sealed back well. It arrived open or partially open. The cardboard I had put around the cymbal was loose in the package and at some point, with the more sets of hands touching the package, it was dropped without the proper protection and the cymbal is now damaged.

Sooo... There goes more time dealing with a mess.

I love this thread, by the way. "Loss of revenue due to laziness" is just a massive misunderstanding when it comes to someone ready to replace their drum set.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Shipping from California to Buffalo is less than Shipping from Buffalo to Toronto, which is kind of goofy. The border should not be that big of a deal when we have a Free Trade Agreement. The extra costs are not Tariffs, they are provincial tax and brokerage. Having said that, no idea why anyone would want to buy from there under these conditions, unless it is something rare and cannot be found here.
That's how I have felt for a few years now..There is a lot of vintage stuff that I would like but I basically double the price in my head and then realize I may as well wait until something comes available around here..I'm luck to have a shop near me that is going strong and gets a steady supply of new, used gear which is basically what I am into..

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. Both of us dealing with shipping to Canada during this thread. Both of us had problems. I think the proof is in the pudding here, as Americans say.

If someone doesn’t want to ship to another country, just move on. It is in FACT more of a headache.

It is up to the seller to open their product up to a larger market, taking a higher risk, to make more profit. Period. We’re all smart enough to understand the concepts of Risk vs. Reward and Time is Money. So why is this even a discussion?

I was actually in the process of shipping some cymbals to Canada at my expense when this thread started. First time. And I gotta say, without some pretty different circumstances (i.e. the other guy paying the shipping charges instead of me), I would probably never do it again.

The main reason being the cost of shipping: $92 to ship a 24x24 box.

On top of that, the package got held up in customs for a week or more as it switched over from USPS to Canada Post, during which time the tracking was completely useless. I’ve had some pretty garbage experiences with USPS recently, so watching such a high-value package just sit there in limbo was a little anxiety-inducing.

Then there’s all the stuff involving declaring the value/not declaring the value, which just makes the whole experience much more of a headache than its worth.

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I try to make the box size and weight economical as well as protecting the items sent. After I figure out what those dimensions and weight will be I enter those numbers into the eBay shipping calculator and that does the rest of the work for me; if the item is the proper sizes and dimensions for eBay to send overseas via the global shipping program then the buyer at the various countries outside of the USA can choose whether or not they wish to purchase my item based on the estimate that has given them on the auction. I’m not aware of what the numbers are for Canadian or other overseas buyers but I do feel that this global shipping program has allowed me to send more items overseas than I was just prior to them instituting the program (I felt that the work involved was more than I wanted to do as I was having an easy time printing labels and sending domestically but when I needed to send something overseas there would be a sizable percentage of buyers asking me to lie on the forms so that they could avoid paying customs fees—and I honestly believe that there’s a huge flaw in the countries of recipients laws about customs but nevertheless it’s not my fault).

Now, if your country is serviced by the global shipping program then maybe I’ll send you something if you decide that you want to pay the amount that is already stated. eBay helps the seller and ensures that they will not get a bad situation by having to deal with shoppers who are confused or frustrated by the customs office in their own home country.

I’d be happy to sell something as long as it’s something that eBay wants to handle on the labeling end. If eBay will handle processing it, I can print a label on the box, take it to FedEx like I do everything else and then I have a much lower stress level wondering about the point in time in which it will arrive or any glitches thereof. It’s about enjoying the process, and, as somebody said earlier, it’s nothing personal.

Hopefully you’ll find this explanation satisfactory and it will help to alleviate any frustration that you felt in the past about your being unable to purchase something from sellers in the United States!

Last edited:

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since my last post in THIS thread, I have had an issue shipping to Canada.

The package was opened at customs and not sealed back well. It arrived open or partially open. The cardboard I had put around the cymbal was loose in the package and at some point, with the more sets of hands touching the package, it was dropped without the proper protection and the cymbal is now damaged.

Sooo... There goes more time dealing with a mess.

I love this thread, by the way. "Loss of revenue due to laziness" is just a massive misunderstanding when it comes to someone ready to replace their drum set.
What a thread and timing!
I wanted to prove it is perfectly fine shipping between US/Canada. I always send label to seller to just drop off item.

I don’t know what the workers at customs did but my cymbal inside found with a big bent edge and ding from drop. Couldn’t check whether the box was opened and re-sealed. I was just too excited to check out the new cymbals.

Yes, I took the risk and took chances. Cause out of nearly 100 packages from US under my label had zero issues like this. I also trust people in this forum especially when Ive been seeing around for a long time. It’s just sad to be in this situation where there is no solution.

I dont want this to be sounding like ‘here is what happened please the judge”. I accepted whats happened and moved along. It is what it is. I did not predict this to happen. I didnt insure it. Cause I did not have any issue ever...til now.

Will this stop dealing with folks in the States? Probably not. ill continue looking for great gears and take responsible for what I decide to do. If seller doesn’t want to get involved with int’ shipping, fine with me. He can move on. No hard feelings. I understand things can always go wrong and sometimes only have myself to blame. Whether you choose to do or not, completely up to you.

what a shame to such a beautiful cymbal by the way...

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where did I say that every Ebay seller should ship globally an act like an international sales conglomerate? You must have a very active imagination. Let me say this for the 3rd time!! I don't care what YOU do with YOUR property. Comprehend English much?? Lots of people are saying that its a hassle to ship here when it isn't. Just because you didn't do it properly, thus creating yourselves "hassles". doesn't mean that is the norm, thats all. Imposing my viewpoints? Perhaps you should understand what "my viewpoint" actually is before making a statement like that, ya? Its not sour grapes that most cool and rare stuff is outside North America because most drum companies offered limited editions in those regions that were not offered here. I buy tons of gear from all over...and I thought the comments section is the place specifically for individual opinions, no?..yet you tell me to keep them to myself. Who exactly do you think you are to make said demand? Give your head a shake man.
Calm down Skippy! Your posts on this thread stress how if someone sells something they are a business. OK. Semantics. You infer they are poor businessmen for not going the extra mile in effort and expense, (and risk if they don't fully insure?) to take care of you, their customer.
The title of this thread is "Why do US sellers NOT want to ship to Canada?" Saying, "We'll be fine. Most of the really nice rare stuff is in Europe, Australia and Japan anyway." sounds pretty much like the definition of sour grapes as I understand it.
Now it's time for you to get all righteously indignant. This is a drum forum, not the comments section.
Take your passive aggressive insults elsewhere.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a proud Canadian. But shipping here sucks, customs suck and 'brokerage' is a scam, even with a 'free trade agreement'. We are in the dark ages with a 'voyageur canoe express' of a postal system that costs far more than US shipping. The low scattered population is of course one reason but shipping to major center like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver should not cost that much.
The ebay premiums from USA are a huge mark-up. I rarely look at drums from the USA due to these obstacles, and I completely expect a hobbyist seller to rarely want to ship here.

Canbeats66

Reaction score
Calm down Skippy! Your posts on this thread stress how if someone sells something they are a business. OK. Semantics. You infer they are poor businessmen for not going the extra mile in effort and expense, (and risk if they don't fully insure?) to take care of you, their customer.
The title of this thread is "Why do US sellers NOT want to ship to Canada?" Saying, "We'll be fine. Most of the really nice rare stuff is in Europe, Australia and Japan anyway." sounds pretty much like the definition of sour grapes as I understand it.
Now it's time for you to get all righteously indignant. This is a drum forum, not the comments section.
Take your passive aggressive insults elsewhere.
Skippy. Thats cute. Is that what your husband Neil calls you Bob? Name calling like a 5 yr old is fun, ya? I am calm. I don't like people changing my words, telling me to shut up or inferring their own ideals to said words, thats all. I choose my words very carefully. Read them again. I wasn't rude or negative to anyone. You say I infer this and that, blah, blah, blah. Did I hurt your little feelings BOB? The fact is it is incredibly simple to ship anywhere in the world. Those are facts .Globalization...look it up. Just because a few morons here are too stupid or lazy to take a few seconds to figure out how easy it actually is, does not mean it is a huge hassle. It just means that they don't know what they are doing. And for the fourth time, I don't care what you sell or where. Burn your drums in the backyard for all I care. I posted this information to help Canadians and US drummers trade more easily for everyone's benefit, and several will start shipping here after doing their own research ...but lets hope they are smart enough to take two minutes to get a few online quotes and learn the rules first so they aren't "shocked" at how expensive it is, that it takes longer and that shipping insurance is a good idea... or when they get a bill or a damaged shipment, they too will think its a hassle and be on here bitching how they got ripped off. Oh, and they just might wanna have the International Buyer pay for shipping all all fees associated therein as well. Stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Skippy. Thats cute. Is that what your husband Neil calls you Bob? Name calling like a 5 yr old is fun, ya? I am calm. I don't like people changing my words, telling me to shut up or inferring their own ideals to said words, thats all. I choose my words very carefully. Read them again. I wasn't rude or negative to anyone. You say I infer this and that, blah, blah, blah. Did I hurt your little feelings BOB? The fact is it is incredibly simple to ship anywhere in the world. Those are facts .Globalization...look it up. Just because a few morons here are too stupid or lazy to take a few seconds to figure out how easy it actually is, does not mean it is a huge hassle. It just means that they don't know what they are doing. And for the fourth time, I don't care what you sell or where. Burn your drums in the backyard for all I care. I posted this information to help Canadians and US drummers trade more easily for everyone's benefit, and several will start shipping here after doing their own research ...but lets hope they are smart enough to take two minutes to get a few online quotes and learn the rules first so they aren't "shocked" at how expensive it is, that it takes longer and that shipping insurance is a good idea... or when they get a bill or a damaged shipment, they too will think its a hassle and be on here bitching how they got ripped off. Oh, and they just might wanna have the International Buyer pay for shipping all all fees associated therein as well. Stupid is as stupid does.
Do you want a juice box?

Status
Not open for further replies.