Why do we buy vintage drums vs modern drums?

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

I also think that there is a very powerful point in ones life, somewhere in the early 20s where everything is more vibrant and profound, the booze, the women, the music and the culture.

Anything that reminds you of that is Gold Pony Boy.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

I also think that there is a very powerful point in ones life, somewhere in the early 20s where everything is more vibrant and profound, the booze, the women, the music and the culture.

Anything that reminds you of that is Gold Pony Boy.
True — some people want the kits of their heyday!

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Old drums have a story to tell. And, often, you can hear it and feel it when you play them. Sometimes you get the real story from the single owner, which is the best.
There might be new drums that mimic that experience in sound and feel, but they’re offen 3x the money.

And then there’s the search... the all powerful and sometimes decades long search that can be so gratifying.
Buying new can’t touch that.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t aware that “most of us “ preferred vintage ?
That’s what I have observed, whether it’s the average age of the members here on the forum or something else, there is more hype for vintage drums. I may be wrong! I don’t think this is true if you look at a larger population.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any modern drum at the moment, oh wait no I have a Yamaha club custom snare and it is in the coolest orange finish But it is still lacking the charm and Mojo my Premier Royal Ace has.
I do agree that vintage drums have the mojo and charm that modern kits don’t have, but I don’t think they have lower build quality or are inferior sound-wise, I’d take a modern kit I like if I need to, no problem.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ever assemble a new drum kit? Those things smell gross & come with various cancer warnings! At our last drum fest I assembled about 20 of those health hazards. Once a drum kit has aired out for 50 years or so they are good to go! A lot of my cymbals are new, but the folks at Sabian beat the newness out of them with hammers :icon_e_biggrin:

MrYikes

Reaction score
I traded in my 4 piece Slingerlands for my 5 piece Rogers in mid sixties. I already had my Zildjians. I had no need to go into a music store and playing 6 nights a week, I had no time to go. In the early 70s, I went in to get some sticks and saw a chain drive bass pedal. I was shocked and thought it was just a gimmick. I have never looked at or paid attention to what other drummers used for equipment nor have I paid attention to what they were doing in a song. I did listen for the feel of the tune. My Rogers sit here now with shiney metal and the cymbals are cleaned, but the BDP has the faded green tint to it. I could clean that off, but when I see it, they remind me of all the smoke filled bars and clubs we've been working. When I sit behind them, I am home.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some great answers here :) I limit my vintage purchases strictly to snare drums, and I have a mix of old and new. They are all set up to use, and I rotate them in and out fairly regularly. It’s not really a “favorite” sound per se - my current go to is a cheap Pearl “Limited Edition” birch that I got for $60 - as much as what snare will work best in the current room.

Someone mentioned mystique earlier, and that’s the draw for me. Being a part of an instrument’s history while knowing little or nothing about it has a unique appeal for me. At some point, someone may obtain a snare I currently have but will know nothing about me, and that’s kinda cool too.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many of us buy Vintage kits that we dreamed about and could not afford when we first started playing . I wanted a Slingerland 80n Buddy Rich kit when I was a kid . Found one at the Chicago Vintage Show a few years ago . It was a in great shape and sounded great but the hardware left a lot to be desired and was not reliable enough for playing gigs IMHO. I got that out of my system and sold the kit and went back to modern kits .

Would I buy another vintage kit ? Potentially , it would be something specific that really strikes a chord with me .

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every time I've ventured past the 1980's, I ended up moving that kit along. Latest was a 2000's Starclassic Birch Performer. Just didn't make me smile and feel good like my 60's through 80's kits. There is a difference in sound in 60's and earlier kits that newer kits don't seem to reach. Since I'm a light player, the hardware and mounting is more than adequate....even on my 60's Slingerlands. I sort of consider my 1980 Yamaha 9000D and 1984 Tama Superstar kits as "vintage,".........and they were built like tanks for their time. And still hold up to modern hardware. I've had a "collector" gene in me since the early 1960's which has no doubt skewed me in that direction.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I loved vintage drums but they became so overhyped it almost felt you warent part of music if you didn’t had a vintage kit.

The only pro for me now would be the light weight, but that is also my con as I like meat when I play. It feels to light for me.

And they don’t work for every style too.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I don't necessarily prefer vintage stuff, I just look for pro stuff that's inexpensive, with decent hardware.... that usually means 70s-90s vintage. And I'm only interested in real Gretsch, heavy beech Sonors, and Yamaha RC, so that kind of narrows the possibilities.

ThomasL

Reaction score
In 10 years your vintage drums will still be vintage, but in 10 years a new drum kit will be old, and the sizes will likely be out of fashion (perhaps even sooner).

This was just a thought. It's really about the sound and vibe your after. Play drums that inspire you to play and make you smile. Of course, the question was (literally) about buying, not playing drums... ;-)

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Lots of good drums being manufactured today . Vintage drums , like Dayton Rogers , represent a different kind of value I doubt will ever pass this way again and some people need to acquire proof of the life which existed from the factory floor to the Saturday night gig .

Last edited:

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I love old things which can tell a story. I also love old craftmanship which seemed to be more sophisticated yesterdays. I mostly own old things: cars (daily ride from 1988), furniture (mainly 1960-s1970s stuff). It's also fun to get quality things for some bucks which costed a fortune when new.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can’t explain the cool feeling I get when looking at an old drum with re-rerings vs a new one . Even my 96 Fibes don’t evoke the same feeling . A well preserved mahogany interior Radio King set with those Deco lugs really does it for me ..

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, you had an understanding mom to let you set your drums up in the living room! I became a guitar player because my mom said, "drums? haha, here's a guitar!" :icon_lol:

Oh, nice tube socks...:-D
I can play some guitar too and every time I picked up the guitar and started palying my mom would say “see, that is an instrument to play, not drums“ lol and I’d say Mom I like drums more haha

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can play some guitar too and every time I picked up the guitar and started palying my mom would say “see, that is an instrument to play, not drums“ lol and I’d say Mom I like drums more haha
Mom's...you gotta love em!

Latest posts