Why do we love cymbals so much??

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
So what got me thinking about this is that I'm a relatively new drummer (about 2 years on the kit) and I have a friend who's been drumming for roughly 20 years. He's actually in a band, while I am not currently. However, I seem to have a much greater appreciation for cymbal quality and sound than he does. He's been using the same relatively inexpensive cymbals for years, while I find myself lusting after ones that are way beyond my pay grade so-to-speak. When I talk to him about cymbals he seems to shrug his shoulders and not have much input on anything lol. I practice every day so I'm trying not to be the guy that thinks gear fixes everything. What gives??

Last edited:

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So what got me thinking about this is that I'm a relatively new drummer (about 2 years on the kit) and I have a friend who's been drumming for roughly 20 years. He's actually in a band, while I am not currently. However, I seem to have a much greater appreciation for cymbal quality and sound and he does. He's been using the same relatively inexpensive cymbals for years, while I find myself lusting after cymbals way beyond my pay grade so-to-speak. When I talk to him about it he seems to shrug his shoulders and not have much input on anything lol. I practice every day so I'm trying not to be the guy that thinks gear fixes everything. What gives??
You’ve answered your own question...you’re still fine after two years...now imagine another 18 + yrs. of cymbal plonking.....what’s that you say...;)...what was that?...
The kinds of musics played plays a huge difference...do you folks listen to or play similar musics?
Some folks may also be myopic in their “palette“, although this at times can be used in a positive way...again depending on music and sounds required.
Now how about them snare drumz....!!!!!
bt

Pibroch

Reaction score
I'm like you. Into nuance and texture. For example my most memorable guitar listening experience was being close to Ava Mendoza's amp when she free improvised with no groove, tempo, or melody to speak of, but the timbres were the richest and most sensational I've ever experienced.

Applies to taste and aroma too when I become obsessed with the complexities of malt whisky nosing and tasting.

At home with the drum kit I have to combine at least 5 ride cymbals and keep exploring new combinations from my collection and new models of drum stick to play them with. Wifey used to get frustrated at my spending hours on the internet obsessing over ride cymbal demos.

Last edited:

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
I'm designer / maker, so I appreciate the time and care that goes into making hand hammered cymbals. No two are the same.
Two cymbals can be 80 years old, similar weight, same maker, and they may sound, look, and play very differently.
You can't tune them like a drum. You can lathe, add rivets, or tape to alter the sound, but its voice is its own.
They are very difficult to make well. It's a true craft and it takes years to master.
Most are ok, some are great, some are turds.

Machine hammered? Meh. Not my thing.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Same reason any musician loves any particular instrument...extension of one's particular emotions and personality and all that kind of stuff.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Harvey Mason's take on cymbals from the old Sabian 'Hear the Difference' video always stuck with me.
04:27 in case the time stamp didn't work.

5stroke

Reaction score
Harvey Mason's take on cymbals from the old Sabian 'Hear the Difference' video always stuck with me.
04:27 in case the time stamp didn't work.

Love Harvey Mason and use mainly Sabians, so this historical retro-view and all the other drummers was really fascinating.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
The unique sounds are what drive me. I mean...I have tons of drums and snares. And they do sound different. But not that much different. I LOVE buying cymbals without sound files. Once I verify the era/stamp and the weight, it's a big excitement for me to see what they actually sound like compared to my expectations of them. I've bought hundreds of cymbals. I have never been disappointed in any of them.

Mike

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
I'm like you. Into nuance and texture. For example my most memorable guitar listening experience was being close to Ava Mendoza's amp when she free improvised with no groove, tempo, or melody to speak of, but the timbres were the richest and most sensational I've ever experienced.

Applies to taste and aroma too when I become obsessed with the complexities of malt whisky nosing and tasting.

At home with the drum kit I have to combine at least 5 ride cymbals and keep exploring new combinations from my collection and new models of drum stick to play them with. Wifey used to get frustrated at my spending hours on the internet obsessing over ride cymbal demos.
Yes I also am very sensitive to smells, colors and sounds etc... Appreciating nuance is one of the joys of life I suppose.

The unique sounds are what drive me. I mean...I have tons of drums and snares. And they do sound different. But not that much different. I LOVE buying cymbals without sound files. Once I verify the era/stamp and the weight, it's a big excitement for me to see what they actually sound like compared to my expectations of them. I've bought hundreds of cymbals. I have never been disappointed in any of them.

Mike
Wow, that's a lot of cymbals! I've purchased 4 lol
but yeah I agree about the unique sounds, and how much more different they sound from each other than drums comparatively.
I'm designer / maker, so I appreciate the time and care that goes into making hand hammered cymbals. No two are the same.
Two cymbals can be 80 years old, similar weight, same maker, and they may sound, look, and play very differently.
You can't tune them like a drum. You can lathe, add rivets, or tape to alter the sound, but its voice is its own.
They are very difficult to make well. It's a true craft and it takes years to master.
Most are ok, some are great, some are turds.

Machine hammered? Meh. Not my thing.
That makes sense. I'm a craftsman myself...finish carpenter by trade. The process of making cymbals, the alloys and the different methods to shape the metal, and how no two are alike is so interesting. And that's a good point that you can't tune them like a drum.

You're also on a forum. Of course you're not happy with your cymbals
I'm happy with most of my cymbals but I am still after a really good ride... and maybe a splash and cowbell lol