Why do we love cymbals so much??

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can tune a drum, but you can't tuna fish, eh, cymbal.

A great cymbal is almost like magic: just one piece of metal, a simple shape, but such a complex sound. A good cymbal also reacts to your playing: Even though you can't change the cymbals itself, the way you play can make such a difference.

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Because they're shiny! And it is no secret that humans are attracted to shiny things!
Cymbals are to both sexes of drummers what diamonds are to ladies. Gotta have em ! After years of so,so cymbals I think I finally found the sounds I craved but it wasn't cheap but cheaper than wine and women. But then again at 82 i'm not sure I even remember them. But Cymbals.. wow i'm in my happy place with what I now have. I admit buying and selling quite a few before settling into my current setup but i've had over 50 autos/trucks over the years. Some were company provided so I had little or no choice. But of those I bought on my own I went the route of multi brands so changing cymbals isn't any different. And, gee I just heard some great Hats.. maybe just maybe...

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
Now that I've had y'alls input and some time to think...I'll give it a shot.

Cymbals each have an original sound of their own. They are FAR more nuanced and have way more character than pretty much any drum, comparatively. Every time I hit a cymbal it brings a much stronger reaction than when I hit a drum. From recoiling at the frequencies, all the way to a near ecstasy of sound. As some have already mentioned, you can tune drums but not cymbals. They are more unique in nature and not quite as malleable as drums, unless you take drastic measures.

Last edited:

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
Cymbals are to both sexes of drummers what diamonds are to ladies. Gotta have em ! After years of so,so cymbals I think I finally found the sounds I craved but it wasn't cheap but cheaper than wine and women. But then again at 82 i'm not sure I even remember them. But Cymbals.. wow i'm in my happy place with what I now have. I admit buying and selling quite a few before settling into my current setup but i've had over 50 autos/trucks over the years. Some were company provided so I had little or no choice. But of those I bought on my own I went the route of multi brands so changing cymbals isn't any different. And, gee I just heard some great Hats.. maybe just maybe...
That's a good way to put it, cheaper than wine and women. I'm glad you've found your happy place with cymbals, I'm still searching for mine but maybe you'll get those hi hats and I'll find a great ride cymbal!

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So what got me thinking about this is that I'm a relatively new drummer (about 2 years on the kit) and I have a friend who's been drumming for roughly 20 years. He's actually in a band, while I am not currently. However, I seem to have a much greater appreciation for cymbal quality and sound than he does. He's been using the same relatively inexpensive cymbals for years, while I find myself lusting after ones that are way beyond my pay grade so-to-speak. When I talk to him about cymbals he seems to shrug his shoulders and not have much input on anything lol. I practice every day so I'm trying not to be the guy that thinks gear fixes everything. What gives??
What gives is that you are fixated on gear instead of music. Your friend who is actually playing music has you beat by a country mile. He has the cymbals he needs and sleeps soundly. If you think he doesn’t care, I’m guessing he cares far deeper than you know. If he can’t talk about it, then maybe that’s also the point, since the point is music in the end.

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
What gives is that you are fixated on gear instead of music. Your friend who is actually playing music has you beat by a country mile. He has the cymbals he needs and sleeps soundly. If you think he doesn’t care, I’m guessing he cares far deeper than you know. If he can’t talk about it, then maybe that’s also the point, since the point is music in the end.
I disagree because I am totally fixated on music, but I'm a new drummer and still trying to find my sound and what works for what I like to play. I'm playing on a 50 dollar kit for Pete's sake. Obviously he's beaten me "by a country mile" because he's been playing drums since high school, been in multiple bands, while I literally just picked it up in my late 30's. I want to be in a band but I have had a hard time finding people who want to jam with me. And it's not that I think he doesn't care, my guess it's probably just that he's not "shopping for sounds" so-to-speak, since he found a setup that works for him. I don't think gear fixes everything but I enjoy the process of figuring out the sounds that I like.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are many lifer players who smoke as players and are way more obsessed with cymbals than him. I’m not one of them but that’s inaccurate and unfair to say that he doesn’t care as much about the music.

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now that I've had y'alls input and some time to think...I'll give it a shot.

Cymbals each have an original sound of their own. They are FAR more nuanced and have way more character than pretty much any drum, comparatively. Every time I hit a cymbal it brings a much stronger reaction than when I hit a drum. From recoiling at the frequencies, all the way to a near ecstasy of sound. As some have already mentioned, you can tune drums but not cymbals. They are more unique in nature and not quite as malleable as drums, unless you take drastic measures.
Very poetic and true all around. Great post, you are truly a man of letters !
salute'

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Such an powerful and organic instrument derived from raw minerals borrowed from Mother Nature I feel a strong spiritual and human connection. Roberto was one of few that held the key to unlocked the magical sounds of the universe.
Another Poet. Man I don't think about the universe when I hit a cymbal but I can see how one would. Nothing more satisfying than playing a great sounding ride or crash ride and it is magical for me!
ciao