Why does only 1 lug always detention?

JHBon4am

Reaction score
My friend bought a Bonham 70’s Supraphonic Ludwig snare.

When I visit his place every 3rd week or so, the same lug’s tension rod is always completely loose.

It’s only 1 on the batter head nearest the throne and right side of snare strainer.

Is it time for a replacement of the thread nut inside the lug?

Any suggestions or ideas what to do?

I guided him to buy this drum. My supra never has this problem.

thanks,

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Two things:
Most likely: it's under where he does a lot of rim shots.
Less likely: that one threaded insert is worn out.

Those little plastic Lug Locks on just that rod will fix up the first problem.
The second problem is a pretty easy fix as well, but requires a little disassembly.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thats the rimshot lug, its perfectly normal

Pull that tension rod and see if it was lubed by the previous owner. Wipe any oil off in a paper towel and reinstall. You can add a lug lock of some kind, but adjusting a rod every three weeks seems easy enough

Last edited:

Tubwompus

Reaction score
+1 to all the above PLUS the possibility of a low spot at the hoop right there and it takes less tension to get it evened up with the rest. That’ll mean less resistance than the others, which of course, means more likelihood of loosening compared to the rest of them.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can also be the cross-stick lug. (This is my issue with my black beauty). I tune it so regularly it isn’t a huge problem, plus I’ve changed out the original hoop for a slightly beefier hoop, also due to my cross sticking.
But yes, know this problem well.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ludwig solved this problem long ago
B4CDCC2A-B930-487A-93B9-4389EEB14BAC.jpeg

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You/he should also check that lug's tension rod on the bottom head. If that's the rimshot lug it's likely the bottom rod could be loose as well.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Always happened to me until my tuning and technique got better. I’d say it’s probably a tuning issue or a separate mechanical problem, like a bad head/rim/insert/etc.

If you all can swap drums, do that, and then see if the lug detunes under your own playing during that three-week time stretch. At least then you can isolate a lot of the variables (either it’s a player issue or it’s a hardware issue)

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always happened to me until my tuning and technique got better. I’d say it’s probably a tuning issue or a separate mechanical problem, like a bad head/rim/insert/etc.

If you all can swap drums, do that, and then see if the lug detunes under your own playing during that three-week time stretch. At least then you can isolate a lot of the variables (either it’s a player issue or it’s a hardware issue)
Right ON!

sherm

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happens to me on most of my snares at the rimshot lug (or two). I still haven't found a lug lock solution that I really like but this works ok.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use these on every single snare I own. If it’s only a problem lug or two, you can get a 4 pack and just change out the offending rods. I personally find it’s worth it to have all of them changed out. My snares hold tunings all night long, no matter how hard I hit.

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stick technique or lug? Have him rotate the drum 90+ degrees and see if the same lug has the problem, or the new lug now in the same position has a problem.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nasty lug.
Send it to the dean's office,
and have it write
"I will NOT lose my tension" 1000 times,
and it mustn't stop until you get tired.
:-D