Why Don’t I Have Desire to Check Other Bands Out?

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
My wife and I used to go to concerts and classy jazz shows and then with my bandmates and their girlfriends we’d go to funk shows at clubs to check out better bands as a way to learn and be inspired.

Now we have a young child so that’s just not happening. The time outside of work and family that I would have spent seeing live music is now saved to be spent at rehearsals or gigs.

I do enjoy playing multi band gigs in that it brings other bands together in a positive way. In San Francisco this happens a lot so a club can bank on each band bringing in a crowd. For the bands a good way to cross pollinate potential fans. One of my bands has a few members young enough to be my kids. I tell them not to be discouraged when another band is “better”. Stay in your lane. We do our thing and own it. They do theirs. Let it stimulate you, not discourage. Of course, I’m telling myself this as much as I’m telling them....

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also rarely go to see another band but that is related to the genre. I like playing and listening to jazz and no group in town is playing that other than the trio I play with.

1990rookout

Reaction score
When I have time, I'll go. Mostly for a set, maybe two. . . I always learn something, and seriously. . How can I expect others to see my sorry butt on the stage if I can't get out and do the same?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
When I have time, I'll go. Mostly for a set, maybe two. . . I always learn something, and seriously. . How can I expect others to see my sorry butt on the stage if I can't get out and do the same?
True, true. I agree. And I have a few guys that always come out and support both bands. I'm feeling guilty now...

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Remember when you used to go out to see gigs and there would always be one or two old guys, and you and your friends would be like "Who's Grandpa" or "What are those Geezers doing here tonight?"

It's always been this way.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll still continue to support live music in my community on nights that I'm not gigging.
Always have and always will, even though I no longer drink.
I figure it's good networking & public relations to attend and support your fellow musicians on their jobs even if you can only stay for one set it can mean a lot to them and they've expressed that to me many times.
i'm with EvEn .... i love going out and listening to bands

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd say best to know your competition and get out there once in a while....especially if your crowd is talking about some other band in passing.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me, one of the great aspects of being a musician is being a part of the community. I don’t get out as often as I’d like because Im generally gigging, rehearsing , preparing or recovering from my musical activities. But when I can I thoroughly enjoy hearing other musicians live. The bands I favor play Jazz, classical, free improv or original music. Although I occasionally will check out a blues/R&B, heavy metal, punk or hip hop/rap group if they are playing close to home.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, Dan, who feels this way. Nothing personal against other bands or people.... I used to go out a lot when I was younger but nowadays, in my 40's, I just ain't feeling it.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A big reason I don't check out local music as much as I should is that if I can't learn from the drummer on stage, I should be home practicing.
If the drummer is miles ahead of me, I should be home practicing. I feel guilty if someone in the room is holding drumsticks and I'm in the corner holding a beer.

That said, I still go out to support any friend's bands and of course my favorite larger acts when they come near my region.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i think there's two paths...

"discovery" or "mimicry"

in the first, you strive to find something new

in the second, you strive to imitate

not surprising those who choose to mimic can't appreciate the unfamiliar

its down to whatever floats your boat

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm one of those "old guys". I still play in a rock [psyche surf] band, whenever I can get us gigs. Averages about once a month. But I rehearse every week.

I live in Santa Cruz, California and am very fortunate that we have the music scene that we have. Some touring big names, and tons of smaller names and local bands. Plus one of the greatest jazz clubs in the US.
I go to see a few big names whenever they play here. I generally DO NOT go to San Francisco to see anybody. I have a few friends in bands and we go to each other's gigs every so often. I also have a favorite brewery close by that I play at as well as watch bands at.
How often do I go out on a night I'm NOT gigging? Maybe 2-5 times a month. I go out because I sometimes make connections for future business.

Here's the old side of me. I sit at bar concerts if it's more than 30 minutes long.

Stretch

Exploder

Reaction score
The driving, the parking, the obnoxious drunks and the ear-splitting volume.

I love to go see great bands, but a lot of people can't be bothered. Vintage Trouble, a great band that opened for The Who on its U.S. tour four years ago, recently played my town on a Wednesday night, I think it was.

They were absolutely outstanding in every way, and my wife and I had a great time with the approximately 100 people who were there. They played like we were 10,000.

Vintage Trouble Come down to Australia quite regularly and play at a Blues Festival in a Hippy Town on The Australian Coast..that singer has the James Brown thing going on ..love them !!