WHY.......Drilled holes on my new 2019 Ludwig snare drum.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
I had my ludwig dealer check as to why the Ludwig stickchopper top hoop / rim has two sets of half drilled holes on the inside. The hoop was installed with two partly drilled holes in the 12 o'clock position and two at the 6 o'clock position. Ludwig said it's needed for the gold plating process / application. Seems weird to me.

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
That has to be done to appease the gods. Otherwise the drum would be perfect, and perfection is not allowed in earthly things wrought by human hands.

Still, I’m surprised Hephaestus lets them get away with making such a stunning drum.

(I do believe Ludwig, as you probably do as well, and I’m sure someone here, wiser than me, will be able explain the idiosyncrasies of that plating process.)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I can't explain it in detail, but it has to do with the electrical current needed to do the plating. Current in and current out.

Could be done with one hole on each side but ny guess is they used two in order to keep the rim from spinning around.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Rogers metal shells had the same thing - two tiny holes inside the flange . I was told they were for suspending in the plating bath.

If I remember correctly , early TAMA too .

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rogers metal shells had the same thing - two tiny holes inside the flange . I was told they were for suspending in the plating bath.

If I remember correctly , early TAMA too .
You beat me to the punch, Benny. You were told right. That's exactly what the hole are for.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can't explain it in detail, but it has to do with the electrical current needed to do the plating. Current in and current out.

Could be done with one hole on each side but ny guess is they used two in order to keep the rim from spinning around.
It is not in and out the way you describe it. The part to be plated connected to a cable with a negative charge. The path to the other charge is through the plating solution to the other electrode which has a positive charge. This causes the material to be plated, in this case gold to be attracted to the part being plated and deposited on the surface.

I suspect the dimples are to allow for some sort of hook that the rim hangs off in the plating tank. It probably has two pointed tips that the dimples sit on. The dimples keep the rim from falling off the hook tips during the process. The hook is connected to the negative cable, thus making electrical contact with the rim. If they used some sort of clamp then the plating wouldn't get under the clamp and you would be asking about a spot with messed up plating.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. . .they can't hide that better????

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am guessing that is a bottom hoop "snare side" and the string goes between the holes. Of all the vintage snares I've had that range back to 100 years old, I've never seen this style hoop needing holes like that.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
How much actual Gold is on that drum...I'm thinking pawn shop..
seriously what's the List Price on that..
Why would you want actual Gold on a frreaking drum.
Well I could think of a couple of reasons none of them good
mostly involving pagan worship.
Yeah I know I'm funny..
nonetheless it's a beaut.
Truly looks like something from the 19 (roaring)20's

It's hypnotic in a way.

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am guessing that is a bottom hoop "snare side" and the string goes between the holes. Of all the vintage snares I've had that range back to 100 years old, I've never seen this style hoop needing holes like that.
The holes don't go all the way through. As other said, they are indents.

With flanged hoops they can hang the hoop by a couple of the tension rod holes for the plating process, and hardly anyone will notice the plating flaws left inside the tr holes. For these no-flange hoops, there's no place to hide marks from whatever tool or system could be used to suspend the hoops in the bath.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Are you saying the holes on that above drum don't go all the way thru?
ah ok they're indents & can't see them from the outside.. there I feel better..

"Holes don't go all the way thru Harry call Off the Dogs..."

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
They don't go through so holes really isn't the correct word to use.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They don't go through so holes really isn't the correct word to use.
So, if you try to dig a hold into the ground, you have to start digging very young? :icon_e_biggrin:

Anyway, according to the dictionary, a hole doesn't need to go through to be a hole.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is not in and out the way you describe it. The part to be plated connected to a cable with a negative charge. The path to the other charge is through the plating solution to the other electrode which has a positive charge. This causes the material to be plated, in this case gold to be attracted to the part being plated and deposited on the surface.

I suspect the dimples are to allow for some sort of hook that the rim hangs off in the plating tank. It probably has two pointed tips that the dimples sit on. The dimples keep the rim from falling off the hook tips during the process. The hook is connected to the negative cable, thus making electrical contact with the rim. If they used some sort of clamp then the plating wouldn't get under the clamp and you would be asking about a spot with messed up plating.
I was going to say this. They need a way to hold the parts in the tank for the plating process. If they just hnf it around the hoops the plating would be compromised in those area.

Latest posts