Why I prefer my Pearl Sensitone Over my Supraphonic

dxtr

Reaction score
Hi

My name is dtxr (not really...but ya know..) and I hit my drums hard. Like really hard...not regular hard...and because of this, I prefer my Pearl Sensitone

Elite Aluminum snare to the Ludwig Supraphonic.

Blashpemy they will shout in the streets! They shall beleive me to be a heretic! You will want to see me hung at the gallows!

But please hear my side of the story!

Power is a funny thing. When playing a venue with a sound system that can barely pump out vocals its a terrible thing. Yet when playing a venue with a

venue with a great sound system but not enough mics it becomes your best friend.

When wanting to light up the meter bridge in a studio it is great. Yet when recording live it can ruin everything.

I generally keep my power in check for I have much of it. But even when I am at half of my volume, I am double some other drummers.

When I play a snare I need roundness not attack. I need it to be warm not cutting. For with my power comes attack and cut.

Being the most recorded drum of all time its hard to argue with Supra and it's legacy. But it is BRIGHT. Very bright. Bright isn't bad for most but for me

it is.

This is the same reason I left Paiste cymbals and went back to Sabian. Paistes brightness and my heavy hands are a bad combination. They sound great

but they cut a lot on their own. My Sabians are much warmer, and rounded, so when I hit them hard they don't kill everyone in front of me.

I owned a 71' Supra 402 for just over a year. And I used it quite a bit and I loved it. I found it articulate and clean. It has a great presence and sits well in

a mix. It has a naturally dry sound so you don't have to dampen the head to control overtones. This is obviously why it is used so much in studios.

Only a week ago I got a Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum and its fantastic!! Its everything my supra was (except half an inch shorter) but just the right

amount of different (notice I did not say better!). Less top end to it. A more rounded mid range. A decent low end and a really good tuning range (not

great, but really good). I also got it in mint condition, with pretty well new heads (in fact the heads I put on all my snares!) for only $120!! So its also a

great deal which is nice.

The heads (and wires) for anyone who is curious that I use on all my snares and always sounds great is:

Evans Power Center Reverse Dot and Hazy 300

Puresound Custom 20 Strand wires.

Wood or metal, shallow or deep, 13 or 14 inch. It doesn't seem to matter. This combo always seems to bring out the tone and character of the drum to

me.

Well after that long and extremely wordy post,

Thoughts?

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own two Pearl Sensitones size 14x5.5: brass and steel. I'm a big fan as well and actually prefer the less expensive steel version to the brass one. They're both fantastic and don't see the point of spending lots of money on some boutique snare when my humble sensitones do the job so well.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I've got me a steel 5x14 I picked up on MF for 99 a month ago. Great drum. Especially for the $$'s.

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Based on these comments and others, I'll be on the lookout for an alluminum. Thanks! I loved the Dave Weckl signature aluminum Yamaha, but thought it was overpriced. I expect the SE to be in the same league.

Speaking of steel, what's the sound difference in the Sensitone Elite Stainless Steel and normal Steel? My Elite Stainless is LOUD.

PureRockFury

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My sensitone elite aluminum was by far my favourite snare I have owned. Full bodied, fat, punchy workhorse. I find it very easy for metal drums to be all top end crack and sound a bit thin out front.

I loaded up my 14x6.5 with a coated emperor and 42 strand wires. That drum punched you silly!

dxtr

Reaction score
View attachment 121809

What depth is your Sensitone? I'm confused by your "half inch shorter" than a 402 comment.
Sorry I wrote that wrong. Mines a standard 5" depth.

Played it again last night at rehearsal. it was fantastic! throughout rehearsal i tuned it a few different ways for fun and they all sounded great.

One of the best purchases Ive made in a long time.

Thwack

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my brass Sensitone (5.5x14). It's become my go to snare over my 402.
I have an Ambassador on it, but liked the Evans Power Center reverse dot a lot too.

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Based on these comments and others, I'll be on the lookout for an alluminum. Thanks! I loved the Dave Weckl signature aluminum Yamaha, but thought it was overpriced. I expect the SE to be in the same league.

Speaking of steel, what's the sound difference in the Sensitone Elite Stainless Steel and normal Steel? My Elite Stainless is LOUD.
I have a 6.5x14 steel Sensi, and it is also loud. It's also one of the best sounding snares I've ever heard, let alone owned.
Never played the stainless Sensi, but I used to have an Ayotte Keplinger stainless. The stainless drums are a little warmer than regular steel, IMO-not as bright.

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My sensitone elite aluminum was by far my favourite snare I have owned. Full bodied, fat, punchy workhorse. I find it very easy for metal drums to be all top end crack and sound a bit thin out front.

I loaded up my 14x6.5 with a coated emperor and 42 strand wires. That drum punched you silly!
I had an aluminum 6.5 Sensi. I sold it, like the bonehead I am. :cry:

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my supras, glad you are happy with your pearls........

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Good post on the Sensitone. I have owned one and I really liked it. I sold it for some other drum - I can't remember which. Pearl make great drums. If the Supra - shelled Drouyn I just purchased sounds good, I'm going to sell my Ludwig Supra. I don't really play it. I'm just not into that sound. I sold my Acro for the same reason. I hardly play metal snares anymore and if I need to I have my Ludwig bronze 552, which to me has all the best qualities of metal and wood. $00.02

dxtr

Reaction score
My rehearsal space is going to be rigged to record soon. I'm hoping to record a real demo of the sensitone so people can hear it. Not the poor quality youtube ones they have.

Also I'm hoping to do a sound check of my kit.....but who knows if I'll actually have the time lol

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sensi's are great work horses both live and studio,i've recorded a CD yrs. ago w/ my brass 5.5 x 14 and my 5.5x13,they track wonderfully.
wish I still had the 13!

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sensi's are great work horses both live and studio,i've recorded a CD yrs. ago w/ my brass 5.5 x 14 and my 5.5x13,they track wonderfully.
wish I still had the 13!
I had two of the 13's a few years ago-a brass and a steel. The brass may have been my favorite recorded snare sound I've ever lucked into. Great drum. Sold it, too-because I'm a chucklehead. :blackeye: