Why is the used market FLOODED with PORK PIE Brass snares??

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I look at Guitar Center (online) used stuff frequently, and have gotten a few great deals there.

Well, lately I have been wanting a cheapo 6.5 BRASS snare (either Ludwig Black Magic, PDP Ace, DW Design or PORK PIE BIG BLACK).

I checked GC this morning... nothing from Ludwig, PDP, DW... BUT...

GC online currently has FIFTEEN used Pork Pie brass snares, eight of which are the blue/green swirly patina ones. WOW! Are people buying them on a whim and then getting rid of them?

I have never owned a Pork Pie... clue me in! Why so many used ones?

(IMHO those funky blue/green patina ones ARE butt-ugly. They might induce some buyer remorse, and also might be really hard for GC to unload... Wouldn't mind one of these tho...)

pkpp7x13pb-xl.jpg

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know WHY everyone is selling, but because so many are may be a red flag about these drums.

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sound a lot like a drum that’s three times the price in a blindfold test. The reason there’s a “glut” is that there’s a lot of them in circulation. It’s not a reflection of quality as much as it is the quantity in circulation.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are reviewed well, so I'm not sure why they're is a glut. They're priced right as well.

I play PP drums, and I can't say enough good things about their sound, construction and overall quality. They won't be a dog if that's what you're worried about.

RBagg454

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
C
I look at Guitar Center (online) used stuff frequently, and have gotten a few great deals there.

Well, lately I have been wanting a cheapo 6.5 BRASS snare (either Ludwig Black Magic, PDP Ace, DW Design or PORK PIE BIG BLACK).

I checked GC this morning... nothing from Ludwig, PDP, DW... BUT...

GC online currently has FIFTEEN used Pork Pie brass snares, eight of which are the blue/green swirly patina ones. WOW! Are people buying them on a whim and then getting rid of them?

I have never owned a Pork Pie... clue me in! Why so many used ones?

(IMHO those funky blue/green patina ones ARE butt-ugly. They might induce some buyer remorse, and also might be really hard for GC to unload... Wouldn't mind one of these tho...)

View attachment 524497
Can't speak to the brass, but I have a maple pork pie snare that I love. High quality. I suspect with covid, a lot of people bought some atca fair price. And are just now selling. I've been considering one.
Just my opinion...

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve heard one of the patina’d Pork Pies out in the wild at a street fair.

From my spot hearing it at their sound check it sounded excellent. If I didn’t have a 6.5 and 5 inch brass snares already I would not hesitate on one of the P. Pies.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are fantastic drums, especially at the price. Some of the patinas I love, some not so much at all, Bill says the result is dependent on the weather that day… idk. I’m not a fan of the throws, but they work. It’s the shells that are the star of the show, he’s got great metal shells - brass, aluminum, copper - with good brass tube lugs, good wires, and good heads. I have brass 13x7 and 14x8, aluminum 14x6.5 and copper 14x6.5, and they’re all excellent. Seriously, as good as anything. (With an INDe universal throw on them, they’re better than most!)

At their price point, they’re more likely to end up with someone who would sell a drum to GC than say a Ludwig Raw Brass. And because GC carries them, a lot of lazy folks probably just brought it right back where they bought it and took a beating. It’s definitely one of the better drums you’ll find on the shelf at GC, so it’s a likely pick for someone’s first “real” snare drum. Fast forward to rents due and the drum thing didn’t pan out, and GC is ripping you off for your Pork Pie.
They’ve done a couple of inventory blowouts on PP brass too, iirc they were moving BB’s for like $199, maybe something similar for the Patina… so I’m sure lots of those end up for sale.

And just because I love it, and somebody said Pork Pie:
4A647330-FCAB-45A1-969A-869BDDFE18EE.jpeg

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a 14” one and it was just as good as any other bob snare I would
Love to pick up a 13”

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 13x7 brass patina snare , I’m not a big fan of the patina . But it hasn’t left my kit since I got it in a trade . My wife who is a musician went OOOOOO when I played it .

My buddy wanted my trailer bad and he had that snare and really loved it a lot .
So I told him $$$ + that snare or no deal ..

We are a- holes to each other ..

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The following is just my opinion: Over the last few weeks I have been searching for a 6.5 brass snare. I have been doing a lot of YouTube research to narrow down the search and always try to listen blindly when I can so I’m buying the sound I’m hoping for rather than buying a drum for its ‘prestige’ (in other words I’m trying to find an alternative to a full price Black Beauty but I damn sure like how they sound).
Anyway, occasionally these PP snares come up in the brass comparisons. I’ve yet to hear one that I wanted to buy. Lately I just skip them in the comparisons as for whatever reason they just don’t sound as good as the various Pearl Sensitones or Ludwigs, etc. I don’t know if that plays any part in the glut you are seeing, but it would seem that if they were a truly comparable alternative in sound that there would be less floating around at $199.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They sound great. Plus without a lot of live shows and the employment market being what it is it could be both the amount of drums built is larger and just people selling them off to guitar center to pay a couple of bills.

No one worries about the quality of Fender strats because of the amount in the used market.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that there are just a lot of them out there relative to some of the others. A few years back they were part of a Black Friday promotion for Musician's Friend or someplace like that. They sold a boatload of them for crazy cheap. I was tempted when I found out about it but by then they were gone. However, a LOT of people (including here on the DFO) snagged them on impulse (much like the $100ish FG Ming snares on ebay earlier on, and a bit more recently those $100 natural maple "Slingerland" snares, both of which I also participated in the buying frenzy). When you can get a quality snare for cheap it seems a no-brainer and lots of people jump in with relatively little to lose.

When it comes time to downsize the collection though I'd bet a lot of folks would decide that that cheap snare they bought on a whim a few years back would be one of the first to go. That could be a reason so many are turning up now on the used market.

None of this is to imply these weren't/aren't great sounding snares. Somehow it was arranged to sell a bunch of them for cheap at that time and that moved a lot of them into the wild. When it comes time to release some I'd guess the owners are a lot less attached to that impulse buy "black-Friday" snare than they might be to ones they paid a lot more for.

Heck in some instances people might be actually unloading these at a profit via unknowing GC workers.

Last edited:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess is that there are just a lot of them out there relative to some of the others. A few years back they were part of a Black Friday promotion for Musician's Friend or someplace like that. They sold a boatload of them for crazy cheap. I was tempted when I found out about it but by then they were gone. However, a LOT of people (including here on the DFO) snagged them on impulse (much like the $100ish FG Ming snares on ebay earlier on, and a bit more recently those $100 natural maple "Slingerland" snares, both of which I also participated in the buying frenzy). When you can get a quality snare for cheap it seems a no-brainer and lots of people jump in with relatively little to lose.

When it comes time to downsize the collection though I'd bet a lot of folks would decide that that cheap snare they bought on a whim a few years back would be one of the first to go. That could be a reason so many are turning up now on the used market.

None of this is to imply these weren't/aren't great sounding snares. Somehow it was arranged to sell a bunch of them for cheap at that time and that moved a lot of them into the wild. When it comes time to release some I'd guess the owners are a lot less attached to that impulse buy "black-Friday" snare than they might be to ones they paid a lot more for.
Makes sense.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 13x7 brass patina snare , I’m not a big fan of the patina . But it hasn’t left my kit since I got it in a trade . My wife who is a musician went OOOOOO when I played it .

My buddy wanted my trailer bad and he had that snare and really loved it a lot .
So I told him $$$ + that snare or no deal ..

We are a- holes to each other ..
That’s gonna be my next snare

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill makes a hella lotta those drums, doesn’t surprise me that there would be plenty out there.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
KOs nailed it,I believe.
Lots were bought.
I love mine,every bit like my BB.
and the Inde throw works great on the BoB and my copper PP.
A good honest brass snare that does it all.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know but I had one of those 7x13 blue green patina snares and it was awesome. I loved the tube lugs and finish. As crazy as it sounds, I was tempted to buy one of the 8x14 models to use as a base, and I was hoping they had a tenant to Piccolo so I can make a crazy brass micro Bop kit. It would be killer because I've never had an all metal shell kit and I really like the color. If I recall, I reached out and they said they don't make the 10" so I ended up selling that snare. I wish I would have kept it. I'm excited about checking out the used ones at GC.....

Well I looked at them. That's more than I want to pay. I scored a killer deal on the one I had so I'm bummed I let it go.....

As an aside, that Rosewood zebra snare looks pretty sweet. I saw a show once where the guy had that snare and it sounded fabulous

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with K.O.’s take. I got in on that Black Friday deal, as well as the Ming and Slingerland Music Yo deals. I don’t love my Big Black but it’s perfectly suited to leave on a practice space kit for one of my bands. If I needed to sell something off it might be the first to go because I could sell it for no less than what I paid and I’m not emotionally attached to the drum. The MusicYo snare lives a similar existence at another practice space on a shared kit. The Ming, however, is one of my favorites and goes to many gigs with me as a backup or primary snare.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're priced to sell and they do just that. Good marketing strategy. Flood the market with a good product , get everyone talking about it then raise the price. Import/Foreign Car companies been doing this for years.

I remember Pearl, Yamaha doing a similar thing in the 60's