Why Precision?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was on the phone with Precision Drum Co. about ordering some custom sparkle wrap (burgundy sparkle) and I asked them what their current supply of 60's Oyster Black looked like as I had another project in the works that I needed some of that for. Of course a verbal description is useless but 3 or 4 days later I received a large (5x4 inches) sample in the mail at no charge. Conversely two weeks before I had ordered a sample from another wrap supplier (not one of the Delmar distributors or in the USA) for a sample of their version of Oyster Black. I paid $4 for the sample. It took two weeks before there was a response and then another two weeks before a postage stamp sized sample showed up in my mailbox. Really a disappointment as the purchased sample is really too small to tell much from. That oyster black project is off the books now anyway due to the purchase of a complete drum.

I've had such great service from Precision for nearly 3 full decades I'm not sure why I even bother considering other sources. Some do have unique wraps that no one else has so there's that. But for the classic wraps you really can't go wrong with the folks in New York. They've sent me innumerable samples thru the years, and always for free. Whenever I have ordered from them it has been super smooth. Just felt like giving them a public shout out.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm not surprised you had good service from them, KO.
I had them make a snare for me last year. The drum maker got on the phone with me to discuss exactly how I wanted my edges done, and how I wanted the seams on the wrap. I asked him to try to find an undersized shell, and he took the time to do that for me. I asked him to sign the inside of the shell, and he did so. The snare is top-notch; quality workmanship all around. The drill holes were finely done with no splintering. The lugs were straight. The parts were right the first time. The edges were like butter. Every time I've dealt with them, it has always been a very satisfactory experience.
There's something about looking at a snare, and knowing you had such a good experience getting it.

Last edited:

Skeet6

Reaction score
I own one of the earliest kits they ever built, an 8 ply Keller 20/12/14 (later added 16) had it lacquered by a local luthier. I became an endorser through the 90's and 2k's and over the years had them build 2 more kits. The giant beast of a double bass kit is gone, but the original 20" kit is still here, as is my 10/12/14//14/18 Bermuda Sand bop kit in my avatar. Incredible attention to detail, great sounding and great looking drums - and really incredible people as well. You can do business with them in full confidence. They truly do things the old fashioned way.
Mike B

Attachments

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think I've heard a bad word or negative comment uttered about Precision Drum. Most rave about their work, whether it be a re-wrap, cutting down of a shell, or re-cutting of bearing edges.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I know it's not wrap-related, but they cut down some shells and did bearing edges for me several years ago and their work was perfect. It was fast too. Nice people to work with and I think they even supplied the Star Trek transporter wall too!

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Precision rewrapped and did edge work on a 1967 club date 12" tom with horrible edges. They wanted to refuse the job because they thought the drum was too far gone. I persuaded them to do it and it came out great. Rewrapped in Vintage Sky Blue Pearl which turned out to be a very close match to Ludwig's current SBP, close enough for rock and roll at least. Major props to Precision.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sent them some very toasted 60s Rogers drums and asked them to “fix” them.
I mean ... ROACHED.
The bearing edges were ground into. The wrap was split and shot in several places.
They worked the edges and the wrap.
They sent them back ... PERFECT!
Unbelievable job.

I sent them a bare wood 60s Slingerland 14 floor tom I picked up to match my 60s kit. I sent the 12 tom so they could match it.
They went into their ridiculously complete supply and pulled some 60s wrap and absolutely matched the wrap perfectly.
I couldn’t believe it.

They will ALWAYS be my first call.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Through the years I've dealt with Precision on numerous occasions and always with total satisfaction. I think the reason is simple...they are drum people and they understand what you want and deliver in spades. Everything in the previous posts bares this out. Like you, K.O., I don't even consider anyone else when it comes to my drums.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another satisfied Precision customer here. Great craftsmanship and great customer service. I'm actually waiting (patiently) for a joint project between them and Ludwig right now. But things got delayed because of the current situation.

Bob Blackwood

Reaction score
They have done outstanding work on edges for me. Sent them my three DW toms to get an outside round-over and inside 45 degree edges to warm up the sound. Excellent work which gave me just what I wanted. Sent a 1930s Leedy walnut snare shell (Frankenstein parts and drilled holes) to get sharper edges done. Excellent work which gave me just what I wanted. Complete professionals.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Never have bought from them but they have always been quick to answer questions I have had. They are the gold standard for all they offer.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was on the phone with Precision Drum Co. about ordering some custom sparkle wrap (burgundy sparkle) and I asked them what their current supply of 60's Oyster Black looked like as I had another project in the works that I needed some of that for. Of course a verbal description is useless but 3 or 4 days later I received a large (5x4 inches) sample in the mail at no charge. Conversely two weeks before I had ordered a sample from another wrap supplier (not one of the Delmar distributors or in the USA) for a sample of their version of Oyster Black. I paid $4 for the sample. It took two weeks before there was a response and then another two weeks before a postage stamp sized sample showed up in my mailbox. Really a disappointment as the purchased sample is really too small to tell much from. That oyster black project is off the books now anyway due to the purchase of a complete drum.

I've had such great service from Precision for nearly 3 full decades I'm not sure why I even bother considering other sources. Some do have unique wraps that no one else has so there's that. But for the classic wraps you really can't go wrong with the folks in New York. They've sent me innumerable samples thru the years, and always for free. Whenever I have ordered from them it has been super smooth. Just felt like giving them a public shout out.
Kevin,

How closely does that sample look to authentic Ludwig's OBP wrap? I have a few Jazzfest snares I would like to do something with. Thanks!

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
They helped me with a center lug Gretsch shell. I contacted Gretsch and even though they made the drum and drilled it for center lugs they would not help me with those lugs. Precision Drum was very helpful with the parts. Even though they have non-Gretsch lugs and hoops I really love the drum. The worst part about the snare is the Lightning throw I put on it. What a lousy design with the slotted screws. I love Gretsch but I've never been fond of their Micro/Lightning throw offs.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kevin,

How closely does that sample look to authentic Ludwig's OBP wrap? I have a few Jazzfest snares I would like to do something with. Thanks!
Here's a picture of the sample placed in front of my original Jazz Fest. Looks pretty good to me. I'm no longer pursuing that project (I bought a factory built one) but if I were I'd be getting some of this wrap because you never know how the next batch will look. I've been down this road before.

20200627_232602.jpg

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I drove my old MIJ kit up to their shop to have the edges re-cut. They did the work while I waited, and I even stayed in the shop and watched and chatted with George, who does most of the actual work. The thin Luan shells didn't scare him at all! Lol. I was on my way home in a couple of hours, and yeah, the drums really sing and tune very nicely now.

Great guys, and I highly recommend them!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the sample placed in front of my original Jazz Fest. Looks pretty good to me. I'm no longer pursuing that project (I bought a factory built one) but if I were I'd be getting some of this wrap because you never know how the next batch will look. I've been down this road before.

View attachment 448414
Thanks Kevin. I will order some. Thank you!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I get some edges recut and shorten a bass drum, Precision will be the ones handling it. I've been planning to have it done there for a long time because I've never once heard a negative review or experience with Precision. In fact, it's been the opposite every time.

Latest posts