Why Precision?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Multiple projects and top notch work, quality and customer service. The only thing that sucks is that I'm on the left coast and they're on the right coast so shipping is an arm and a leg but other than that, I love them, too!

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Multiple projects and top notch work, quality and customer service. The only thing that sucks is that I'm on the left coast and they're on the right coast so shipping is an arm and a leg but other than that, I love them, too!
Take them apart, nest them up with bubble wrap to save on shipping. Whatever the cost, if the drums are special to you, then it's worth it because you know it will be done right.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Take them apart, nest them up with bubble wrap to save on shipping. Whatever the cost, if the drums are special to you, then it's worth it because you know it will be done right.
Yes that's how I've always done it when yhey worked on 3 of my RB kits in the past......
And I have project #4 almost ready for them... :)

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder if they'd do the Greyhound option? Forum member Treviso has a lot of experience with this, as I recall.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago I botched one of my first snare drum rewrap attempts. Andrea sent me a new piece (purple sparkle) at no charge. Always helpful. Yep my go to company as well.
Coy in Idaho

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have dealth with precision in the past...good people...good work

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sent them some very toasted 60s Rogers drums and asked them to “fix” them.
I mean ... ROACHED.
The bearing edges were ground into. The wrap was split and shot in several places.
They worked the edges and the wrap.
They sent them back ... PERFECT!
Unbelievable job.

They will ALWAYS be my first call.

Wanted to post some pics of the Rogers kit ... before and after ... to highlight their unbelievably good work.

They re-edged the bass, the 16, and the 13. The 12 was good.
They repaired the wrap on the bass and the 13.

They ended up pulling the wrap from the 16 and wrapping it with old old old wrap they had in inventory. Unbelievably good match.

Here's the original kit as found in the music store.

rogerskit.jpg

The Bass Drum

bass.jpg

The 16 floor tom BEARING EDGE and trashed wrap

16edge.jpg

13 Tom BEARING EDGE

13edge.jpg

THIS IS THE MATCHING WRAP!!!
A SIDE BY SIDE OF THE ORIGINAL (BOTTOM RIGHT) AND THE NEW 16 WRAP.
ALL NEW EDGES AND A VERY VERY PLAYABLE KIT.

IMG_0475.jpg

ToBBa

Reaction score
I can Just add to the praise. Gary and George are legens!
I live in Europe, but that has never been a problem for them. They are top notch every time.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
The folks @ Precision all take extreme pride in their business ethic and show a love for all things percussion !
I have had the pleasure of driving an hour + up to their shop and observed George's quality workmanship, then leaving with product in hand.
I've had Precision custom drill out mounts on acrylic drums, re-edged a kit, re-edged a few DIY steam bent shells from a notorious former builder, and cut down some old stock drums and remove re-rings and reinstall rings in shortened drums.
George is a great source of building knowledge and ps, they do O.E.M. work, like wood hoops, for some high profile builders !!
I highly recommend Precision Drum !

Attachments

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was on the phone with Precision Drum Co. about ordering some custom sparkle wrap (burgundy sparkle) and I asked them what their current supply of 60's Oyster Black looked like as I had another project in the works that I needed some of that for. Of course a verbal description is useless but 3 or 4 days later I received a large (5x4 inches) sample in the mail at no charge. Conversely two weeks before I had ordered a sample from another wrap supplier (not one of the Delmar distributors or in the USA) for a sample of their version of Oyster Black. I paid $4 for the sample. It took two weeks before there was a response and then another two weeks before a postage stamp sized sample showed up in my mailbox. Really a disappointment as the purchased sample is really too small to tell much from. That oyster black project is off the books now anyway due to the purchase of a complete drum.

I've had such great service from Precision for nearly 3 full decades I'm not sure why I even bother considering other sources. Some do have unique wraps that no one else has so there's that. But for the classic wraps you really can't go wrong with the folks in New York. They've sent me innumerable samples thru the years, and always for free. Whenever I have ordered from them it has been super smooth. Just felt like giving them a public shout out.
This is good to hear. I am about to do a wrap project with 60s BOP and I am considering Precision and Jammin Sam. The big question is, which wrap most closely resembled 60s BOP?

Johnnythunder

Reaction score
I decided a couple of years ago to recover my old and pretty large DW kit. I came up with an idea(jet contrails in black and red) and sent it to Gary, We discussed the color scheme and I gotta say they just blew me away with how it turned out. My order took exactly how long Gary told me it would take, kept me updated and everything fit perfect. To say I was impressed would be an understatement!

Attachments

Olrocker

Reaction score
+1 re: Precision. Always great service. I have multiple snares I've built from their shells (Keller) & parts and they all sound & look great. Also scored some vintage BDP to re-wrap a '40s Leedy 7x14 snare that was totally legit!

bob meyer

Reaction score
Precision Drum Co. are the best! Can you tell which one is a rewrap and which is original mid 50's Gretsch Red Sparkle?

Attachments

poetman

Reaction score
I dropped off an ugly aqua satin RB Progressive Jazz kit with them, and they sent me back a merlot sparkle BEAUTY with the rewear (per my request) applied matching the original specs! The NICEST, MOST PATIENT (corresponded about a year in advance), FRIENDLIEST, METICULOUS (they asked me a question before they did anything about which I was not explicit), and KINDEST people in ANY business! I have sung their praises on every drum forum I have passed through!!!

georgelawrence

Reaction score
Gary Folci and crew at Precision are the cats pajamas. Very conscientious.

A couple weeks ago I was on the phone with Precision Drum Co. about ordering some custom sparkle wrap (burgundy sparkle) and I asked them what their current supply of 60's Oyster Black looked like as I had another project in the works that I needed some of that for. Of course a verbal description is useless but 3 or 4 days later I received a large (5x4 inches) sample in the mail at no charge. Conversely two weeks before I had ordered a sample from another wrap supplier (not one of the Delmar distributors or in the USA) for a sample of their version of Oyster Black. I paid $4 for the sample. It took two weeks before there was a response and then another two weeks before a postage stamp sized sample showed up in my mailbox. Really a disappointment as the purchased sample is really too small to tell much from. That oyster black project is off the books now anyway due to the purchase of a complete drum.

I've had such great service from Precision for nearly 3 full decades I'm not sure why I even bother considering other sources. Some do have unique wraps that no one else has so there's that. But for the classic wraps you really can't go wrong with the folks in New York. They've sent me innumerable samples thru the years, and always for free. Whenever I have ordered from them it has been super smooth. Just felt like giving them a public shout out.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been dealing with the fine folks at Precision Drum for decades now! Always first-rate service! When I converted a Rogers 12x15 Tenor Drum to a floor tom, it was a no-brainer to send the shell to PDC for wrapping. They put the overlap exactly where I wanted, including the direction of the wrap. I also requested a 1" overlap, just like Rogers would have done, and they were able to accommodate the request. I love the way all the wrap edges are blended into the bearing edge. Just excellent craftsmanship!

-Mark

Attachments