Why Precision?

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
Another vote for Precision Drum Co. I ordered a 14x14 Keller shell and had them cut the bearing edges. They were nicely cut. I then later needed some shell wood samples to match this shell to a particular stain color. They sent these for free, I paid for shipping. Here is the finished drum, it sounds great.

IMG_20200502_200513.jpg

cruddola

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was on the phone with Precision Drum Co. about ordering some custom sparkle wrap (burgundy sparkle) and I asked them what their current supply of 60's Oyster Black looked like as I had another project in the works that I needed some of that for. Of course a verbal description is useless but 3 or 4 days later I received a large (5x4 inches) sample in the mail at no charge. Conversely two weeks before I had ordered a sample from another wrap supplier (not one of the Delmar distributors or in the USA) for a sample of their version of Oyster Black. I paid $4 for the sample. It took two weeks before there was a response and then another two weeks before a postage stamp sized sample showed up in my mailbox. Really a disappointment as the purchased sample is really too small to tell much from. That oyster black project is off the books now anyway due to the purchase of a complete drum.

I've had such great service from Precision for nearly 3 full decades I'm not sure why I even bother considering other sources. Some do have unique wraps that no one else has so there's that. But for the classic wraps you really can't go wrong with the folks in New York. They've sent me innumerable samples thru the years, and always for free. Whenever I have ordered from them it has been super smooth. Just felt like giving them a public shout out.
I won't deal with anyone else either. They're the best of the best.

plumbndrum

Reaction score
1007152026.jpg 1007152108a.jpg
I had Precision rewrap this mid '60's Slingerland floor tom a couple years ago and now my 14" floor tom isn't lonely any more.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have nothing to add that hasn’t already been said. Precision is my go-to. I’ve used them for several projects, including this very recent 6x3 side snare I built. There was no hesitation on Gary’s end when I asked for the shell and edges. Super quick turnaround too. E6A803EC-56B0-4581-92EB-C2260EE2642D.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is good to hear. I am about to do a wrap project with 60s BOP and I am considering Precision and Jammin Sam. The big question is, which wrap most closely resembled 60s BOP?
It's going to be the same wrap from either source ( made by Delmar) but the question is what batch of wrap are they filling orders from, and even then there can be fairly wide variation between sheets from the same batch. Buying this particular wrap is a bit like a box of chocolates as Forrest Gump once said, you never know what you'll get.

I would suggest that since these vintage style acetate wraps are more prone to shrinkage than the more modern pvc stuff you're going to want to glue it down to the shell, not just tape it at the ends, even if you do ultimately buy it from Sam.

Last edited:

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
Through the years I've dealt with Precision on numerous occasions and always with total satisfaction. I think the reason is simple...they are drum people and they understand what you want and deliver in spades. Everything in the previous posts bares this out. Like you, K.O., I don't even consider anyone else when it comes to my drums.
GW I also think they are wonderful because it is a family affair. One famous drummer told me this, “ They make drums better than any brand name on the market so why go anywhere else to purchase a set of drums “.

They aren’t cheap drums but you get exactly what you want and the quality is undeniable.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wanted to post some pics of the Rogers kit ... before and after ... to highlight their unbelievably good work.

They re-edged the bass, the 16, and the 13. The 12 was good.
They repaired the wrap on the bass and the 13.

They ended up pulling the wrap from the 16 and wrapping it with old old old wrap they had in inventory. Unbelievably good match.

Here's the original kit as found in the music store.

View attachment 448698

The Bass Drum

View attachment 448694

The 16 floor tom BEARING EDGE and trashed wrap

View attachment 448693

13 Tom BEARING EDGE

View attachment 448692

THIS IS THE MATCHING WRAP!!!
A SIDE BY SIDE OF THE ORIGINAL (BOTTOM RIGHT) AND THE NEW 16 WRAP.
ALL NEW EDGES AND A VERY VERY PLAYABLE KIT.

View attachment 448696

Finally found the pics of the finished Rogers kit.

This has been a multipage entry ... sorry.

The wrap was a perfect match. Check out how close the original bass wrap is to that rewrapped 16. Unreal.
The edges were spot on. The kit sang.

IMG_1406.JPG

Snowdog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When Tom Soder at MusicalCloseouts.Com was selling NOS Slingerland Niles shells, I had him ship a set of shells to Precision. They cut the shell depths to my specs and cut beautiful bearing edges, as smooth as silk. Those completed drums sounded and FELT fantastic, and they still do. Precision is aptly named, and truly professional artists.

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had work done by them several times now over the years, and the work is always fast and perfect.
Great, great people to work with.
I get a bonus in that they actually are in my region.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great work, and reasonable prices. There was a recent post about a member paying quite a lot for a hot rodded Ludwig kit.
Precision recently cut down a BD from 18x16 to 18x12, took off badges, drilled new holes for replacement and perfectly re cut one edge. That was sort of hot rodding to me
$119.00
All done while I had a great lunch in town