Why so few Paiste Signature 22" Rides out there?

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
michiganice91 said:
Are you sure the 900's replaced the alphas? I thought it was the PST8 line that replaced them maybe? I agree I have no clue why they shut down the alpha line as I thought it had a lot of brand recognition in the industry.

I get introducing the 900 colorsounds, but for the life of me as a Paiste fan I don't get the standard 900's. IMO they look extremely hideous and sound rather average. As a paiste-holic that was pretty disappointing to see.
Positive. The PST8 & Alpha were both available until the 900 was released. Check the website, Alpha is gone and the PST8's remain.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nacci said:
I own a 22" and a 21" Signature ride and it took me some serious time, $$ and a painful trade to get them. Paiste is a confusing company who's supply side does not seemingly correlate to demand. For instance, there is a significant demand for 15" Dark Energy and 15" RUDE Sound Edge Hats so why discontinue them then refuse to make them special order? The Innovations is one of the best sounding line of Paiste's I've ever played, most of my Past friends agree yet it was both extremely limited in available sizes and discontinued. To a degree the same can be said for the Dimensions line which are great cymbals.

I have seen an increased interest in 15" hats and 22" rides lately. For the longest time it really was a fringe thing now it appears they are in demand everywhere in the Paiste world. I am curios to see if Paiste respond to this on the supply side.

I am in complete agreement with slinginit, the precision line is loud as fcuk. Ridiculously so. There is just no way to balance them with a kit unless it is controlled by a sound man. I have said this before but I took my Signatures to a show one time and half way through the guitarist turned to me and said: "What is up with your cymbals? They are way too loud". Signatures are very loud cymbals and Precisions even more so.
I know there was major blowback when Paiste tried to discontinue the 2002 line in favor of the 3000's, but typically cymbal sales run their course and are discontinued. They are not intentionally discontinuing cymbals in high demand.

michiganice91

Reaction score
mgdrummer said:
Are you sure the 900's replaced the alphas? I thought it was the PST8 line that replaced them maybe? I agree I have no clue why they shut down the alpha line as I thought it had a lot of brand recognition in the industry.

I get introducing the 900 colorsounds, but for the life of me as a Paiste fan I don't get the standard 900's. IMO they look extremely hideous and sound rather average. As a paiste-holic that was pretty disappointing to see.
Positive. The PST8 & Alpha were both available until the 900 was released. Check the website, Alpha is gone and the PST8's remain.
Ahh okay. Definitely believe you it's just that the PST8's look very similar to the alphas.

Btw apparently the alphas are still going strong on the paiste thailand website :icon_lol: http://www.paistethailand.com/store/c8/Alpha.html

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bri6366 said:
I own a 22" and a 21" Signature ride and it took me some serious time, $$ and a painful trade to get them. Paiste is a confusing company who's supply side does not seemingly correlate to demand. For instance, there is a significant demand for 15" Dark Energy and 15" RUDE Sound Edge Hats so why discontinue them then refuse to make them special order? The Innovations is one of the best sounding line of Paiste's I've ever played, most of my Past friends agree yet it was both extremely limited in available sizes and discontinued. To a degree the same can be said for the Dimensions line which are great cymbals.

I have seen an increased interest in 15" hats and 22" rides lately. For the longest time it really was a fringe thing now it appears they are in demand everywhere in the Paiste world. I am curios to see if Paiste respond to this on the supply side.

I am in complete agreement with slinginit, the precision line is loud as fcuk. Ridiculously so. There is just no way to balance them with a kit unless it is controlled by a sound man. I have said this before but I took my Signatures to a show one time and half way through the guitarist turned to me and said: "What is up with your cymbals? They are way too loud". Signatures are very loud cymbals and Precisions even more so.
I know there was major blowback when Paiste tried to discontinue the 2002 line in favor of the 3000's, but typically cymbal sales run their course and are discontinued. They are not intentionally discontinuing cymbals in high demand.
Then they must be doing it unintentionally.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nacci said:

At times...lol. But for all the demand for 15" Rude hats they probably had them in stock for years with only an order here and there.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bri6366 said:

At times...lol. But for all the demand for 15" Rude hats they probably had them in stock for years with only an order here and there.

Bri, do you work at Paiste? You have a very suspicious insider knowledge of what is going on over there in upper echelon decision making and stock inventory.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nacci said:

Bri, do you work at Paiste? You have a very suspicious insider knowledge of what is going on over there in upper echelon decision making and stock inventory.

I wish I did. I am an accountant and I work for a manufacturing company (metal packaging). We do have our European HQ in Switzerland, so maybe I can get over there one of these days and visit the Paiste factory.

My speculation is based on my experience in the manufacturing world and not any insider knowledge.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bri6366 said:

I wish I did. I am an accountant and I work for a manufacturing company (metal packaging). We do have our European HQ in Switzerland, so maybe I can get over there one of these days and visit the Paiste factory.

My speculation is based on my experience in the manufacturing world and not any insider knowledge.

Great insight!

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
Great insight indeed, Bri. An observant friend who deals with mineral commodities uses the price of copper as a barometer for the world economy. I once asked her to explain why & how, but that was like asking someone to explain "War and Peace" in 10 words or less. I was definitely out of my element...get it?

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
Back on topic (sorta), I'm surprised Paiste wouldn't just make a custom cymbal order as mentioned above. Given, they have their production runs across a range of cymbals so I imagine an economy of scale is at play (1 custom order or filling 100 orders of product X).

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really like the Sigs. Including DEs. For my money, theyre excellent for modern music...country, pop, rock, R&B, etc. You can mix them among different models.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
slinginit said:
Great insight indeed, Bri. An observant friend who deals with mineral commodities uses the price of copper as a barometer for the world economy. I once asked her to explain why & how, but that was like asking someone to explain "War and Peace" in 10 words or less. I was definitely out of my element...get it?
Thanks (Treviso1 as well)!! I'm by no means an expert.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
slinginit said:
Back on topic (sorta), I'm surprised Paiste wouldn't just make a custom cymbal order as mentioned above. Given, they have their production runs across a range of cymbals so I imagine an economy of scale is at play (1 custom order or filling 100 orders of product X).
Same here. I would like to think that they are not filling custom orders because the factory is at capacity filling regular orders. I'm a big Paiste fan, so I hope they are successful these days.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
There's a 22 Signature Full Ride for sale near me, maybe I should check it out.
I never thought about the Signatures being overly loud; I recently got a couple of A Customs and played them after the Signatures and they seemed so quiet. I play a Precision Crash with another Signature, can't remember the model, but never noticed a difference in volume.

Balance

Reaction score
tillerva said:
There's a 22 Signature Full Ride for sale near me, maybe I should check it out.
I never thought about the Signatures being overly loud; I recently got a couple of A Customs and played them after the Signatures and they seemed so quiet. I play a Precision Crash with another Signature, can't remember the model, but never noticed a difference in volume.
Wow. I'm actually thinking of switching from signature fulls over to custom A's. Mainly because they've gotten rid of some of the sig fulls in their lineup and will probably downsize more when I've finally saved enough money for more.

Which signatures did you compare the A customs to? Fulls? IMO there's a big difference between fulls and anything else. It's also very hard to determine volume up close.

I think you should get the ride if you play rock/metal, I have the 20" and it's pretty sweet.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've owned a few but never a 22" Signature that I really liked. I'm going between a 22" Masters dark crisp ride and a 21" Alpha Groove.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
They just don't make that many any way you look at it. For some reason, Paiste drummers tend to be 20" ride users...but, look at the mother of all rides...the 22" Sound Creation Dark Ride...it's a 22", not a 20"!

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find this weird too, Rob. Especially because I think the pendulum is seemingly swinging back toward the 22" size these days.

I am loving my 22" 602 ME ride for my pop gigs, and I have my rare holy grail ping-monster at home, the 22" Signature Reflector Power Ride. I almost never use my 20" Dry Heavy these days, although it's quite nice.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
kickassdrummer said:
I find this weird too, Rob. Especially because I think the pendulum is seemingly swinging back toward the 22" size these days.

I am loving my 22" 602 ME ride for my pop gigs, and I have my rare holy grail ping-monster at home, the 22" Signature Reflector Power Ride. I almost never use my 20" Dry Heavy these days, although it's quite nice.
I am really loving my 22" ME 602 too! I just love the stick feel, sound, and mojo that the ride has. By the way, the 20" Dry Heavy Signature is a great one too. I have a pretty rare (these days) 22" Dry Heavy Signature too that I really wish they still made without the silly purple colorsound coating.

Latest posts