Why so few Paiste Signature 22" Rides out there?

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DrumKeys said:
No love for the 21" Masters Medium Ride? It's a true gem!
I played one several years ago, I really liked it at the time. It belonged to another drummer who was sharing his cymbals on a Christmas show I was involved with. He had it paired with 18 & 20 Twenty Custom full crashes and a pair of original 14 Twenty hats. The whole set sounded great together.

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the Innovations line was basically 2002 bronze alloy with Signature lathing, hammering, and finishing, no?

I never bought any, but it was an interesting hybrid. Found them interesting in shops, but never committed...wishing I had...or that they bring it back in some form or fashion.

I'm suddenly feeling a need to seek them out on the 'Bay, Reverb, GC, etc.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
dje31 said:
IIRC, the Innovations line was basically 2002 bronze alloy with Signature lathing, hammering, and finishing, no?

I never bought any, but it was an interesting hybrid. Found them interesting in shops, but never committed...wishing I had...or that they bring it back in some form or fashion.

I'm suddenly feeling a need to seek them out on the 'Bay, Reverb, GC, etc.
The Innovations were their own thing. There were some finishing/lathing/hammerings that were developed with that line that trickled into some of the later Dimensions models (Crunch hats, Medium Heavy Wild ride, etc). It certainly wasnt the Signature treatment.

Black Label

Reaction score
I own a few 20" Paiste rides (the 20" Signature Power Ride is a beast with a bell from hell) but my 22's get way more stand time - 22" 2002 red label for rock and blues, 22" Dark Energy Mk 1 for lower volume and 22" 602 Dark Ride ANYTIME!!!!! Oh, and I have a 22" medium 602 from '74 which only really works as a ride in acoustic settings but then it works better than any other cymbal that I own.

nickg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've used a Paiste 22" ride since 1986. The only thing I would change to would be a 24" 2002 or a 22"/24" 602.

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny because my favorite rides are 22" Paiste Signature!

22" Sig Dark Dry Ride - to me, this is what a dry ride should be. Musical, not overly dry, great bell separation and definition. Records amazing.

22" Sig Dark Metal Ride - similar to above, but just slightly more wash due to the lathed edge. Bell is a little more cutting, being lathed.

22" Sig Bell Ride (Powerslave) - bright, cutting, but not crazy though. Musical and shimmering, with great bell. Good amount of wash, but overtones are under control.

Paiste18

Reaction score
Ahh okay. Definitely believe you it's just that the PST8's look very similar to the alphas.

Btw apparently the alphas are still going strong on the paiste thailand website :icon_lol: http://www.paistethailand.com/store/c8/Alpha.html

I used ALPHAs about 10 years ago and really liked the sound. I could kick myself for getting rid of them. But this go around I went with the PST8s and I can tell you they sound just as good. I did a sound test on my youtube. Its a rock recording EQed and mixed and it gives you a good idea of how they perform in a rock environment. Check it out:

pgm554

Reaction score
The Alpha flat ride was a gem.
As for the 8 line from Paiste,OK hi hats and crashes,rides liack character.
Too thin sounding for my tastes.

Paiste18

Reaction score
I usually like my cymbals a bit thinner and brighter. Guess it's just a matter of taste. I prefer the Signature sound, but these fit my budget and the sound in my opinion is great for the money.

Latest posts