Why so many sticks?

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The thread about what's in our stick bags got me thinking. I notice a LOT of sticks in people's bags, and I wonder why? Do you expect to break 10 sticks tonight? Do you use multiple different sticks in the course of the night? Do you just like carrying all your sticks everywhere?

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOL That's why I purchased a smaller stick bag. It's like a magnet, so many things seem to be attracted to the stick bag, it get heavy, mixed up inside.

I do realize some people have a need for larger bag. I recommend you should only get a bag large enough to accommodate your actual need.

sherm

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a good amount of sticks but I play different genres of music. My stick of choice is a Promark 747B Super Rock or the Vic Firth 5B American Rock. Great sticks for rock and heavy metal. I play R&B, oldies, and some jazz. Need other sticks for those types of music.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The thread about what's in our stick bags got me thinking. I notice a LOT of sticks in people's bags, and I wonder why? Do you expect to break 10 sticks tonight? Do you use multiple different sticks in the course of the night? Do you just like carrying all your sticks everywhere?
Personally, its just a way for me to keep my sticks together, so I always know where they're at.
If I were out gigging regularly, I'd find another way to keep my collection together.

Elvis

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
because i wear the tips off my sticks after about 8 hours. and i have gotten defective sticks and had several break alomost at once. I Started using Slingerland 3A hickory wood tips in the early 70's until they went out of business. Those Slingerland stick are the best I ever used. I tried other brands and in the mid 80's started using Pro Mark 808 hickory wood tips until they became crap about 10 year ago and were splintering at the tips and some were even wet. About 7 years ago I went with Vater 3A hickory wood tips. I carry about 20 pairs and keep 2 extra pairs on the kit in various places in case i drop one which is rare or Juan breaks. A stick bag ! LOL ! Thats like a fanny pack , I dont need no stinking badges ! FANNY PACK !!!???

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the pics. Personally my gigging bag has 3 sticks of one type (you never know if one will break but never has yet), three different brush pairs 'cos I play those a lot and switch them to suit, a pair of mallets, a couple of drum keys and a pen in case I need to note a set list down.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, to each his own and thats what makes our instrument fun.. the individualism of it all.

As I mentioned when I started that thread, I was stunned myself at everything I carry in my bag. I have 3 main types of sticks depending on the gig with 3 to 4 sets of each (plus my mallets and various brushes) so they can really add up. While I tend to play one style of stick per job depending on the need, I have awful technique and I tend to be a dropper, so through the night, I may finish the gig with just the one pair in my hand and 3 or 4 sticks on the floor! I buy in bulk so I have deep reserves at home, but this is what I choose to carry for myself.

Though I would not recommend it for others, I dont see mine as being particularly bad (I say to make myself feel better) as it is a lot of different tools in the box, not a lot of the same tool over and over again. But then maybe I'm just compensating for the lack of actual talent! I could trim out more sticks but in my case it's not actually heavy and I dont hang it off of the floor so no dampening as well.

Last edited:

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Its good to have options
At the moment its

Regal Tip 8A Maple, 5A-X, 5A-E (2 prs each)
Regal Tip Std, Jeff Hamilton and Ultraflex brushes
Flix Plastic Rods
Pair of Marimba Mallets (for cymbal swells)

I have a seperate stick bag for "Loud" gigs which is Regal Tip 5B-X (6 prs) only

Cheers
Mick

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have my DW/Erskine Free Standing Stick Bag for bigger gigs and storage, and the Vic Firth Essentials bag for daily usage.

In the bags, there is a selection of different sized sticks, mallets, brushes and rods.

I rarely break sticks. I do splinter them after a while, that is the moment they get replaced.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have two stick bags crammed full of different sticks, Rods and brushes, First off I never gig with my stick bags, I take two pairs of sticks to the gig play with one pair the other pair I stick on the bass drum. But it is funny how we drummers love our sticks.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't do it, but keeping a bunch of the same stick in your bag could make sense if you constantly rotate them. That way you don't have a couple sticks that wear down quickly and don't feel the same as new ones.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I have different sticks for different reasons, I could play with only my 5B's, and get the loudest or softest playing, but I have some poplar sticks that are good for a quiet set, I like the way barrel tips respond on songs where I'm soloing doing more rolls, nylon tips for some cymbal clarity on some songs. A lot of stuff in my bag are things I once needed but not now, still I like the options.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
1. Do you expect to break 10 sticks tonight?
2. Do you use multiple different sticks in the course of the night?
3. Do you just like carrying all your sticks everywhere?
1. For some people/playing styles, yes.
2. For some people/playing styles, yes.
3. For some people, Yup.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Four sticks ... two different pairs
One brushes ... jazz baby
One drum key ... never without it
Two kittens ... for soft passages

Rick

Reaction score
Two pair of VF X5A’s, one pair of brushes, one pair of VF Talawands, and one pair of Mike Balter cymbal mallets. Plus, a drum key, pencil, soft cloth, Vibes ear plugs, and my in ear monitors. All in a Tama Powerpad stick bag.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tend to buy new sticks to try them out, and see if I like a different model (I don't, so I have no idea why I continue this trend). So my bag is full of barely used stick models, that I'll likely not touch unless something seriously goes haywire at a gig.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I keep a few (3 or 4) pairs of my "regular" sticks, 5B's. Whatever comes in a brick. I tend to drop my sticks regularly that it's nice having extras right there ready to go.
Then I have a pair each of 7A, 2B, Johnny Rabb I think the Jim Keltner model, metal brushes, plastic rods, and mallets. These don't often get used, but it's nice having them when I do. I never know when I'll need them since we don't use a regular set list and some rooms need a quieter or a louder stick.
Then I have a few pairs of broken/worn sticks to hand out to kids at our gigs. I'm hoping it sparks an interest in the instrument and if nothing else, they have more fun at the gig.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I carry a bunch of extras so that I can sign them for fans after.

Latest posts