Why so many sticks?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My stick bag. About 4 pair of ~7A wood tip or jazz stick equivalent. Vater whips, heavy brushes, and some cymbal mallets. Drum key.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The thread about what's in our stick bags got me thinking. I notice a LOT of sticks in people's bags, and I wonder why? Do you expect to break 10 sticks tonight? Do you use multiple different sticks in the course of the night? Do you just like carrying all your sticks everywhere?
I sympathize with your stance, I do, and in my experience you're correct. But when eight more pairs takes up barely any more space, why not?

Like when I golf. I rarely use more than three balls a round. But, I already have a gigantic Titleist staff bag in my cart that'll serve as overnight luggage along with the clubs—why not have twenty balls on me? :)

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a good amount of sticks but I play different genres of music. My stick of choice is a Promark 747B Super Rock or the Vic Firth 5B American Rock. Great sticks for rock and heavy metal. I play R&B, oldies, and some jazz. Need other sticks for those types of music.
Even if that's true, why take sticks to the gig that you're not going to use? We don't do that with other drum gear. I use one model stick for everything because I like the way those sticks sound on my drums and cymbals. That means that my sticks always feel the same, and I can adjust my playing to the style needed for the song/gig.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My stick bag has a lot of sticks in it as well, usually though I will admit it has a lot of sticks with wood tips that are almost worn off or the tips split. for some reason I just replace them and don't bother to go through them and throw them out until I cant zip it up anymore after a gig. I'm lazy that way...

prplx

Reaction score
I like to use new sticks on gigs. I hardly ever break a stick and I play nylon tips. So I end up with lots of sticks. And I only have one stick bag.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting... I had no idea that my orgional thread would illicit such deeply held opinions from such an iniquitous question.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I don't play out, but if I was playing SD5's out I sure would have several backups. ( Still wish they'd make an SD5 with a nylon tip)

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Even if that's true, why take sticks to the gig that you're not going to use? We don't do that with other drum gear. I use one model stick for everything because I like the way those sticks sound on my drums and cymbals. That means that my sticks always feel the same, and I can adjust my playing to the style needed for the song/gig.
They may sound different in different rooms. If you're in a really bright room you probably want to avoid nylon tips, but those may work better in a larger venue. I'd rather just keep them all together so I have all my options with me. Plus, there's a difference in bringing a couple sticks vs another drum. Some people do bring extra snare, either to swap for particular songs or as a backup. I bring extra heads for my snare. My stick bag doesn't change size if I only have one pair or 10-15 pairs and we're talking like an extra pound of weight. If that's what breaks it, then I'm in the wrong line of work.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't play out, but if I was playing SD5's out I sure would have several backups. ( Still wish they'd make an SD5 with a nylon tip)
That'd be nuts! They certainly could do it....I remember seeing nylon tipped Boleros in the catalog, and maybe even in the store. They didn't last too long on the market. It was pretty much the Dave Weckl nylon tip used.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Back when I was gigging regularly, I admit to keeping a couple dozen sticks in my case, and now that you ask, I'm not sure why. They were all the same size. I guess it was my reluctance to throw any away. I did though develop a liking for sticks with chipped tips. You can angle those differently and get a slightly different cymbal sound. But I surely didn't need dozens, and actually had to sort through the pile to find some without chipped tips. I should have thrown some away and lightened my load.

Now that I'm only jamming, I bring three sticks with me. Hey, you never know when you'll drop or break one, and the drummers who bring only two strike me as overconfident. If I were to play a full gig, I'd probably have half a dozen, just insurance.

But I don't have a stick bag. Since they seem like a good idea, I have a plastic grocery store bag on my floor tom to substitute. I'm used to putting spare sticks on the bass drum and don't see the need for a dedicated bag. But in the old days I built my own hardware case that doubled as a table behind my floor tom and I kept brushes and mallets on it (along with my beer and ashtray). Now my grocery store bag handles that and I sadly don't drink or smoke. However, I still put at least one spare stick on the bass drum

sammy123

Reaction score
I went through a stick finding mission last year and bought a ton of Zildjians, LA Beats, Vics, and Vaters, which are my usual brand. After all that I still mostly play Vater maple bebop 525s. However, the LA Beat 535x jazz sticks are amazing as well. I just prefer the durability of the maple tips.

Oh and they are all stuffed in my bad to the point where I can't even close it. Haha.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always have 8 sticks in my snare pouch so I can just rotate them and not beat up any particular pair. I have two standing floor bags, with 8 of different sticks for different reasons, and then mallets, brushes, rods, and other stuff.

I find some days my favorite sticks just don't quite feel right so, I reach for another batch and switch them out. Plus, I tend to drop sticks for different reasons: just whipping around and I catch a cymbal the wrong way, or finger injuries effect my grip. 8-10 sticks in front of me is my safe number.

MrYikes

Reaction score
My stick bag has always been a sock hung off the floor tom. No one ever stole it and it held two pair of sticks and my brushes. It was all that I needed.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been on a mission to lighten the load for gigs lately. I purchased a Rock N Roller cart and I've been slowly replacing my old double-braced cymbal stands with lighter ones. That logically led me to my stick bag, which was crammed.

I picked up a Tama Powerpad bag and now I only bring 2 prs of 7a wood tips, 2 pr of 5AN, 1 pair of brushes, 1 pair of Vic Firth Rutes, a drum key and earplugs. I'm not playing loud aggressive music and haven't broken a stick in a few years now so these more than cover a gig.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn’t think your question was that morally wrong. You mean innocuous? Durn spell check!

LOL!!! Well, that's what I get for trying to type above my schooling! I'm leaving it... it's even better this way!

Last edited:
Reactions: CSR

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I usually bring 3 pairs to a show. Anymore for me isn't that practical. They just go in my stand box.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the thin Vic Firth stick bag.
4 pairs - 2 smaller 8As and 2 AH5As
Plus a set of synthetic brushes to play Bun’s version of Don’t Be Cruel.

I keep an extra set of sticks and brushes under the car seat just in case too!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t really have an explanation or excuse. I was in my drum room and estimated about 300+ pairs of sticks.

No, I definitely don’t need that many, can’t even recall how I accumulated them but that goes for most of my gear.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The thread about what's in our stick bags got me thinking. I notice a LOT of sticks in people's bags, and I wonder why? Do you expect to break 10 sticks tonight? Do you use multiple different sticks in the course of the night? Do you just like carrying all your sticks everywhere?
I like your website.