Why so many sticks?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Why? I'm superstitious..

not overly superstitious but somewhat.
I carry 1 pr.Roy Haynes-1 pr. Elvin Jones - (those besides being used, are for good luck)
Fat SD2Maple and Light SD4Maple.
Maybe another hickory.
brushes and mallets

another reason: different styles. different settings, not the same band, not same volume, not same musicians every time

Last edited:

TPC

Reaction score
Three VF PE Rides (not three pairs, three sticks), one pair brushes, one pair mallets. Bag optional.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A sort of side note after seeing some of the comments.

I found myself with 30-40 pair of sticks that I'd used for a time and discarded, all sitting in a box and taking up space. Some were unused, others were lightly used. I called a fellow drummer who's also a band director and is part of a group helping young musicians. We met for lunch and he took all the sticks off my hands and distributed them to kids who could use them. When name brand sticks cost $10 a pair there are a lot of kids who can't afford them. Those excess sticks, brushes, etc., in your bag could be put to good use.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two stick bags.

One is loaded with tons of everything from sticks to rods to small repair parts, even a flask of brandy. Very heavy bag.

Another thread in this wonderful forum hipped me to the small Tama Powerpad stick case, and now that’s what I take to rehearsals, and, of late, gigs as well.

Six pairs (I think?) split between Vic Firth Gadds for quiet and Promark Shira Kashi for rocking it.

I think the switch to oak sticks facilitated the downsize. I was cracking a lot of Promark hickory and felt a need for backup arrows in the elvish quiver. The oak holds up.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even if that's true, why take sticks to the gig that you're not going to use? We don't do that with other drum gear. I use one model stick for everything because I like the way those sticks sound on my drums and cymbals. That means that my sticks always feel the same, and I can adjust my playing to the style needed for the song/gig.
To be honest just laziness, they're already in my stick bag so I don't mind . Maybe 8 pairs total, I have a friend that brings a plastic bag full of sticks probably 30 pairs to a gig. Why? I have no idea....:dontknow:

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I’ve got a fair number of sticks in my bag. Mostly 5A’s and different brands. Probably about 10 pair. I also have a pair of brushes, a pair of hot rods, some timpani mallets and misc stuff like drum keys, ear plugs, wireless blue tooth in ear headphones. And a bottle of water. Gotta stay hydrated.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have two stick bags.

One is loaded with tons of everything from sticks to rods to small repair parts, even a flask of brandy. Very heavy bag.

Another thread in this wonderful forum hipped me to the small Tama Powerpad stick case, and now that’s what I take to rehearsals, and, of late, gigs as well.

Six pairs (I think?) split between Vic Firth Gadds for quiet and Promark Shira Kashi for rocking it.

I think the switch to oak sticks facilitated the downsize. I was cracking a lot of Promark hickory and felt a need for backup arrows in the elvish quiver. The oak holds up.
I'm with ya. I also have two stick bags. One has all my mallets, tympani, marimba and bell. The other has all my other drum sticks and timbale sticks, and pitch pipe.

Latest posts