Why vintage hardware?

Davo

Reaction score
Gotta be period correct for me . Swivomatic pedal , Swivomatic hi hat and Samson cymbal stands . Even my 10" splash sits on its own double braced Samson stand .
I can't help it .
I recently had to make the move from my Samson to a Roc-N-Soc throne though .
The old bones couldn't take the old thrones no mo .
image.jpeg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the hardware works - puts what you need to play on in the right position for you - and doesn't disintegrate when you walk into the room, maybe it's worth trying. If it doesn't, why put your instrument or gig at risk?

For me, Walberg and Auge hardware fails at least one, of not both of these tests.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of the professional drummers I know both local, semi-famous and famous ALL use modern hardware.

The only person I know who has vintage everything is a collector who doesn't gig. He is a doctor and has 3 round badge kits set up with vintage hardware. Its his own museum

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cymbals sound better when mounted to a lightweight stand as do drums mounted to lighter weight hardware.
This is a new one to me. I love gear as much as the next guy, but this is where I have to say a blind test is required.

A lot of good reasons here but at my age I also consider the stuff my kids are gonna be 'stuck' with after I depart the planet. I'd rather they have an absolutely complete and accurate catalog kit to sell off than just a shell pack.
If you’re thinking like that, why don’t you sell the gear now so they don’t have the hassle? Seriously, my mom passed recently. She has so much valuable antique furniture and art that I feel I’m practically giving away due to my lack of knowledge, room, and patience to get the right price.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 66/68 Round Badge hot rod kit- 16/12/14/snare- gets the vintage hardware treatment 1) if the gig is casual for example. St. Paddys Day with Johnny's ( an old friend who's like 80) Accordion trio because I know nothings going to get too serious.. ancient but like new Buck Rogers snare stand, old 70s Ludwig Atlas (not Herc) hihat stand, Premier Lokfast 1971 Cym stand left,, 70s Atlas (not herc) Ludwig cymbal stand right...even a Speed king pedal. So it's not all same make as the drums but qualifies as "old'. And it works.

2010 Gretsch set get's "new" (probably 10 yrs old maybe 15) Gibraltar flat base (2) cymbal stands, and Gib. flat base snare stand, DW 5000 Pedal (probably 20? or more years old), Tama HH45 Rockstar (probably 20) hi hat,

So I can see it. It really depends on the gig how serious I know beforehand it might get..
If anything collapsed on a Kenny Blake gig I'd be banished to 'never again'

I have a vintage 3rd cymbal, Japan Rogers-copy tripod base with a Ludwig Atlas mid and top tier, cymbal stand, when if ever I take a 3rd cymbal (like hardly ever) . Works.

old Ks work on all my stands. My tops have been slimmed down modified and reinforced. Whether the Gibraltar Flatbase for gigs or the Premier 700s (yama design tripod single brace) I use at home or any of the vintage 70s Ludwig Atlas stands I've had since 75. All take old Ks, old Js, old anything (and new B's and a new AK) cymbalwise

Last edited:

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a new one to me. I love gear as much as the next guy, but this is where I have to say a blind test is required.

If you’re thinking like that, why don’t you sell the gear now so they don’t have the hassle? Seriously, my mom passed recently. She has so much valuable antique furniture and art that I feel I’m practically giving away due to my lack of knowledge, room, and patience to get the right price.
Seriously, I'm enjoying the gear at the moment. I gig them and play them at home. You wanna put me in an assisted living facility too? I have my 2 best resale kits listed out in detail so they'll know exactly what they're dealing with.
If you're giving your mom's cherished stuff away for lack of patience or motivation to get a proper art and antique consultant don't throw that on me dude.
PS: My son has my DFO password. Don't even try to cheat him.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't want to haul around double-braced hardware, it's heavy and it takes up too much space. Recently some nice single-braced new hardware has become available, but I haven't seen any need to replace my original stuff. It still works perfectly and I like the way it looks. Also, every new piece of hardware I've seen has something about it that I don't like.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been gigging for a few years with Ludwig 1400 stands. I love them! They're light, but extremely well made. I get the feeling that if I don't abuse them they may outlast some of the light hardware packs people are buying of late. Three 1400's & a bass drum mounted cymbal arm probably weigh about the same as one triple-braced stand. The Premier Lokfast stuff is top notch as well. The locking mechanism (for the legs) under those is brilliantly designed!

I'll use old basket snare stands for a tom, but for a 'dedicated' snare stand the lightest solid stand I've got is a 70's or early 80's Tama. I don't know the model, but the stuff that came with Swingstars. It also goes low enough for deeper snares. The Pork Pie tractor throne stays! I gigged for too many years on shitty thrones & my @SS deserves pampering.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I'm enjoying the gear at the moment. I gig them and play them at home. You wanna put me in an assisted living facility too? I have my 2 best resale kits listed out in detail so they'll know exactly what they're dealing with.
If you're giving your mom's cherished stuff away for lack of patience or motivation to get a proper art and antique consultant don't throw that on me dude.
PS: My son has my DFO password. Don't even try to cheat him.
Easy, dude. You’re taking this quite far to the point of making accusations to me and possibly others that I’m/we’re going to rip your family off. What the...

Do what you’d like. I’m saying this only because you brought it up. I’m just sharing my situation.

I know what the stuff is worth as she gave me a book that had everything she had in it. But because she spent $350 for a very nice painting of Holstein cows by an unknown artist it, it does not mean I am getting anything remotely to it. What it is worth to her doesn’t mean it’s worth that to anyone else. I’d be surprised if I could get $50 for it.

I have her 1940’s Art Deco dining room table that I’ve seen listed between $4-$6K. I have no place for it. It’s sitting in my basement because that’s something I cannot give it away for the $800 someone offered me.

What it comes down to is I had at one point two houses worth of things in one house. I felt I could have started an antique shop. It would have been a great help if she would have started to sell some things as simple as her furs, things she didn’t need but have some real value. In the end, Upper-Middle Class First World Problems. Woah as me. :)

A66FD041-830F-437F-A95C-96A1A6EBFF7F.jpeg

Deafmoon

Reaction score
For me, it depends on the equipment. I love the Slingerland Ball - Tom Holder, Buddy Rich Cymbal Stands, Rogers Swivo stuff, Gretsch Monster Hi Hat stand. I played these on drums throughout the years and I have a warm spot for their engineering and aesthetic look. If you like it, go for it.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I can see both sides of it. I guess it depends on the gig I am doing. The vintage stuff looks cool and it pretty light. Most of my modern hardware is basically modeled after a vintage stand with some nice upgrades. I like when I can position a cymbal with a tilter rather than using teeth. Teeth put things in a fixed place, which isn't bad sometimes but sometimes I just like a better range of option. I am actually starting to get into vintage hardware a little more though. I have a fair amount of Ludwig stuff but it would be cool to get to a point where every set had it's own set of hardware. I'm talking vintage Ludwig sets and one 60's RB Gretsch so that is maybe 6 sets and I already have a good amount.

I never really paid much attention to the vintage hardware unless I got an absolutely complete set as I like to keep things original. I think it would be cool now to make sure all of my sets had period correct hardware. maybe as I am getting older I am looking at a lot of my collection as an investment and when the sad day come that I will be letting stuff go, I want to have it pretty complete.

I did have some of that ridiculous double braced hardware in the 80's though. I was young and everyone had it. I think I had a Zildjian 16" crash on a Rogers boom stand with the double braced legs and big boom weight at the end of the boom arm. It must have weighed 50 pounds! It looked so stupid with that small cymbal on there. Live and learn....

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy, dude. You’re taking this quite far to the point of making accusations to me and possibly others that I’m/we’re going to rip your family off. What the...

Do what you’d like. I’m saying this only because you brought it up. I’m just sharing my situation.

I know what the stuff is worth as she gave me a book that had everything she had in it. But because she spent $350 for a very nice painting of Holstein cows by an unknown artist it, it does not mean I am getting anything remotely to it. What it is worth to her doesn’t mean it’s worth that to anyone else. I’d be surprised if I could get $50 for it.

I have her 1940’s Art Deco dining room table that I’ve seen listed between $4-$6K. I have no place for it. It’s sitting in my basement because that’s something I cannot give it away for the $800 someone offered me.

What it comes down to is I had at one point two houses worth of things in one house. I felt I could have started an antique shop. It would have been a great help if she would have started to sell some things as simple as her furs, things she didn’t need but have some real value. In the end, Upper-Middle Class First World Problems. Woah as me. :)

View attachment 461087
I'm saying quite the opposite. My son will have access to the DFO community for guidance and a marketplace to sell my vintage gear. No accusations, just a little smart*** jab.
I answered the OP's question and you came at me foisting your estate planning agenda knowing absolutely zip about me. I'm sorry for your loss and all the material hassles that go with that and wish you the best.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
Here is an example of a catalog correct 1958 Slingerland set in Capri pearl. My dad bought these brand new and only used them for a few weeks. The club he had played in for many years burnt down and he retired. The drums sat in a closet for years until my mother gave/sold them to my brother, a guitar player. I don't think she remembered who the drummer was. After many years of sitting in his closet he sold them to me. As I am circling the drain, three weeks ago, I gave them to my son, also a drummer. They are where they should be now. View attachment 461014
I have a 5x14 snare in that finish. Radio King with 3 point. Coolest wrap imo.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
My Dad gave me a vintage Johnson 6hp outboard. It's in great shape. It was new in 1966. Do I depend on it? No. Same with the old flat based stuff & basket snare stands/thrones. Pedals? Forget about it.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
For me, on smaller set-ups especially, there is something that just feels good about your classic telescoping 60s straight stand. Incredible innovation has happened in drum hardware but while all the double-braced, aircraft aluminum, machine drilled, super-duper stuff is definitely cool, it isn’t essential. Personally, that gives me a different feeling on the kit.

Also, for how far pedals have come - is anyones right foot smoother and faster than Bonhams? Is anyone’s left foot as masterful and expressive as Tonys? For stands, I heard that Buddy didn’t even have cymbal stands that tilted for most of his career. The limitations inform the art I guess is all I’m trying to say.

Last edited:

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, for how far pedals have come - is anyones right foot smoother and faster than Bonhams? Is your left foot as masterful and expressive as Tonys? For stands, I heard that Buddy didn’t even have cymbal stands that tilted for most of his career. The limitations inform the art I guess is all I’m trying to say.
Wow, just think how much better they could have been. ;)

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I can see both sides of it. I guess it depends on the gig I am doing. The vintage stuff looks cool and it pretty light. Most of my modern hardware is basically modeled after a vintage stand with some nice upgrades. I like when I can position a cymbal with a tilter rather than using teeth. Teeth put things in a fixed place, which isn't bad sometimes but sometimes I just like a better range of option. I am actually starting to get into vintage hardware a little more though. I have a fair amount of Ludwig stuff but it would be cool to get to a point where every set had it's own set of hardware. I'm talking vintage Ludwig sets and one 60's RB Gretsch so that is maybe 6 sets and I already have a good amount.

I never really paid much attention to the vintage hardware unless I got an absolutely complete set as I like to keep things original. I think it would be cool now to make sure all of my sets had period correct hardware. maybe as I am getting older I am looking at a lot of my collection as an investment and when the sad day come that I will be letting stuff go, I want to have it pretty complete.

I did have some of that ridiculous double braced hardware in the 80's though. I was young and everyone had it. I think I had a Zildjian 16" crash on a Rogers boom stand with the double braced legs and big boom weight at the end of the boom arm. It must have weighed 50 pounds! It looked so stupid with that small cymbal on there. Live and learn....
Oh I’ve seen stands that were that massive back then with a splash on the stand. To each his own.