header.nohb.html

Why was the 18” Turkish K the most common size?

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had around 100 of them..(all sizes ..from small Splashes to 24” Rides) so..I know from experience…

Curious why…..

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks,as always…

I did not really figure hats into the equation….

it just seems like I had so many 18”s…that they were the most common…I just sold one recently..and can get 3 more now…

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks,as always…

I did not really figure hats into the equation….

it just seems like I had so many 18”s…that they were the most common…I just sold one recently..and can get 3 more now…
Makes me think of that beautiful, otherworldly 18" old K that we played at your place back in the late '90s. Wasn't familiar with "eras" at the time. But boy ol' boy, wish I would have bought it! Lol.

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I know which one..of which you speak of!

Paid $50 for it.late 1980s….had factory rivets..

Should have kept it!..DOH….
You guys lucked out being able it get it while the gettin was good! Everything is so crazy overpriced now

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is 1) it’s a common size so a lot of them were produced, and 2) more of them survived compared to all the 20’s and 22’s that have been broken over the years.

egw

Reaction score
I think 18 being a less desirable size, people are more willing to put them up for sale. Compared to the more desirable 20s and 22s, which people hang on to.

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it have to do with volume “norms” way back when when everything was acoustic?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's how the cymbals "were used" Istanbul Old K weren't and right up to the end never tailored, never specifically "built" drum set Cymbals; they were 'all orchestral'

Can't talk about old K Istanbul as if talking about "Sabian". (unless it's the Orchestral section)

they never adopted what western set drummers were about; only thru Phil Grant sending them some/ few hints....about Drum set.
They were Pairs/ Singles/ weight and diameter.

They weren't ever 'tailored' for drum set.
That was just a...how NY and other drummers used them

they were band/ orchestral/pair/suspended/ weights/ diameters. Ideally each had all the partials like an orchestral cymbal. NO drum set consciousness. That was just a fluke side use

"left Side Dark Ride Heavy" was nOt in their consciousness;
that was what drummers found them out to be (or not)

They weren't tailored for drum set
They never had no internal " Drum Set artist development program director"..

Avedis were tailored; soon after their conception thanks to Avedis, Krupa , Cliff Leeman, et al putting their heads together
Istanbul and Bosphorus later on were more aware conscious and tailored product to drum set use

Old K Istanbul were more like the eternal Symphonic section of the Avedis catalog
It was just happenstance some set players found good use for them in a drum set

you can't think in Sabian/ Avedis drum set terms with them; they were band cymbals/ singles/ pairs/ weights/ diameters/
Not Tailored for drum set use

They internally never got to that; any advertising or ink stamp to the contrary came from the outside; either from a distributor, from Phil Grant/ Gretsch adding some spice to their promotion..

they were band and hand cymbals ( standing cymbals not sitting at a drum set cymbals)
that just happened onto "cross-use'..

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
It was a reasonably common ride size back in the early 60s. I am talking instrumental rock mostly (i.e., Ventures, etc.) My main ride back then was an 18" Zildjian.