Why you shouldn't do $100 gigs....

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ooops.....didn't see this was done before. Mods...do your thing!

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, accepting or not accepting gigs is like that old Dr John tune. “If you don’t do it, somebody else will.”

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If one enjoys playing, the gig is music one likes, the distance is not too far, the other players are good, then one can accept $100 gigs (or even less). From my point of view, it's $100 more than I would have had if I stayed home.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
For me, accepting or not accepting gigs is like that old Dr John tune. “If you don’t do it, somebody else will.”

Evidently in some places, that could qualify you as an enemy of the state .

Nubs

Reaction score
If you're gigging for money, then yes $100 isn't worth it.

I play because I love playing. I drive an hour one-way to get to practice, then set up, practice, tear-down, then come home & set it up again. I don't get paid one dime for it and I don't care.

I play for the love. Sure the money is nice, but if you set yourself up to play without expectations of making a lot of money, then you'll be much better off.

Don't play for the money.

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Evidently in some places, that could qualify you as an enemy of the state .
If you're gigging for money, then yes $100 isn't worth it.

I play because I love playing. I drive an hour one-way to get to practice, then set up, practice, tear-down, then come home & set it up again. I don't get paid one dime for it and I don't care.

I play for the love. Sure the money is nice, but if you set yourself up to play without expectations of making a lot of money, then you'll be much better off.

Don't play for the money.
This I agree with.

Brandtwi

Reaction score
I agree with this message, but how do you get everyone else to comply??? As you see from the other post, a lot of people are willing to work for free (love of the music). People that want to play music as a profession are screwed. It's gotten so bad in New Orleans, that you are lucky if you go home with $50 in tips because the club owners feel they don't have to pay bands anymore.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I agree with this message, but how do you get everyone else to comply??? As you see from the other post, a lot of people are willing to work for free (love of the music). People that want to play music as a profession are screwed. It's gotten so bad in New Orleans, that you are lucky if you go home with $50 in tips because the club owners feel they don't have to pay bands anymore.
Good question, if all the weekenders quit (I'm one) would we see more bucks for full time players? And what are the chances that might happen? If bars paid more for music, how many venues would have music?
In 1970, in San Francisco, there were so many bands that it was common to have 4 or 5 bands at a gig, with their gear. My band often had a union contract for $300 (which we paid dues on) but in reality were paid $50 (which we gave to the roadies), we did that just to get the gig. AF of M and AFTRA only help those at the higher levels of the biz.

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOL!! Send this video to all venues in Austin TX then get laughed out of town.

Yes it would be nice to get $100 dollars and I have at times but like others said; I do it for he fun of it and for the seniors enjoyment where they dance. It does my heart good when I look up at crowd of people of all ages having fun in their lives. People need that and that's why I do it. I used to drive three hours, play 4 hours, then three hours back, then trip in my front door with one eye asleep at 3:00 in the morning for 100 bucks plus gas. LOL

sherm

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In all the year's I've been doing this, I've come across very few who could match me in terms of talent and ability. So I'm sorry, $100 isn't worth me leaving the couch for anymore, especially doing tired Skynyrd covers.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
It is simply supply and demand, if bands are willing to play for a 100/man so be it. I was in an original band in the late 90s, we got 300 per gig.
4 guys, and sometimes free beer. To make the big bucks, gots to be in a band that hits it, well big, better luck playing the lottery.

But not impossible, a high school friend of mine was a drummer in an original band in 1970, his parents forbade him to
pursue it and demand he get an education, that band was Aerosmith......oops........who knew ?
True story, he is in the book "Walk this Way"