Wide open bass drum

Tubwompus

Reaction score
I’m with ya.
I don’t put anything in any of my bass drums. I do use pre-muffled heads on them, except for a couple of kits where I want more or less the old-school dealio where they have felt strips.
Good on ya!

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The real power and tone of a bass drum is empty. Maybe not the sound for many kinds of music, but it definitely maxes the drum. One reads these threads complaining about bass drum tone with not enough 'oomph', - and yet one sees the bass drum is full of stuff or has incredibly muted heads.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
The real power and tone of a bass drum is empty. Maybe not the sound for many kinds of music, but it definitely maxes the drum. One reads these threads complaining about bass drum tone with not enough 'oomph', - and yet one sees the bass drum is full of stuff or has incredibly muted heads.
THIS^^^^

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I still haven't figured out how to get a quick enough sound from my drum that way.
I keep trying every so often.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Halldor is more about a large port in the fornt head here, look at the pic. There's a muffled head and a pillow in there. Single-headed drum, or one with a large port, has a lower pitch at the same batter head tension, this might cause that rumble.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
I still haven't figured out how to get a quick enough sound from my drum that way.
I keep trying every so often.
By “quick”, do you mean a shorter note?
Just my own personal experience here, but for open BD’s where I want a more “modern” sound instead of with felt strips for a more old-school thing, I’ve had the best luck with Aquarian’s Superkick II on the backs and a Regulator on the fronts. Heard by themselves, someone that likes a pillow inside-type sound might find it the tiniest bit “boomy”, but that all goes away when it’s used in the middle of a band. All that’s heard is a louder, short, fat (if it’s in tune) “thump”.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
2D728A09-C89E-44C1-A2EC-B7166C2922AD.jpeg

I use this Kicker by Sonitus as mute and still get a crazy open tone.

Too much even for the last gig

I love it. Some engineers, not so much.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used to agonize over head combos until I started switching beater types - felt, wood, rubber sheepskin, whatever . I''m able to adjust my sound without fundamentally altering it :

SK 1 with a clear Ludwig Silver Dot un-ported reso . I may lean a little bit of folded material on the front bottom to shorten the sustain or tension to be less pitch-specific .

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
By rumble I didn’t mean a long note but lots of low end. The sound is gorgeous; nice, quick and powerful with lots of low end. The sound I am going for is a Stewart Copeland a’la Zenyatta Mondatta type feel.

Regarding the SKI and SKII; I’ve tried them and really disliked them; the feel, the sound (or lack thereof).

Rock Salad

Reaction score
By rumble I didn’t mean a long note but lots of low end. The sound is gorgeous; nice, quick and powerful with lots of low end. The sound I am going for is a Stewart Copeland a’la Zenyatta Mondatta type feel.

Regarding the SKI and SKII; I’ve tried them and really disliked them; the feel, the sound (or lack thereof).
I think that is what I am trying for too. I think I got it close, inspired by your thread.
Find out on Friday when we practice again.
I have a 14"x20" with a clear Emperor batter and a Calftone with a port on the reso. It is kinda cranked but surprisingly has rumble still, and nice stiff action.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Same. They're just so DEAD. I recently got a set of Doc Sweeneys that had an Aquarian Modern Vintage bass drum reso head with the 1.5" felt ring. The bass drum tone was a little anemic, especially as compared to the toms and snare. Just today, out of frustration, I threw a Hail Mary and slowly removed the glued-in felt ring. Instant reward: the drum now sounds huge! And no residue on the inside of the head. I banish said ring to the dustbin!

20200707_220846.jpg

20200707_221100.jpg

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure the sound your looking for but I use REMO PS3 just about any type on both sides and a 4" port on my 14x20. It has a nice low end and a folded hand towel just touching the batter head if I need it. I think one thing that helps shorten duration is a tighter Reso head than the batter. Playing in low volume venues and foot petal control any lingering tone are lost in the band. For Rock style music it may have too much boom.

sherm

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Haven’t done this in years and I’m diggin it A LOT. I was looking for a short punchy sound for a project I’m working on. I was surprised how much rumble it gives me and the response is pure fun.

View attachment 449829
I think some folks may be mis-reading what you are doing with this bass drum - as so often "wide open" means two heads, no holes, no muffling. Exactly the opposite from what I think I'm seeing in this picture - gigantic port (almost making the drum single headed) and some kind of pillow (an hourglass type?) with a pinstripe, PS3, or what? batter.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it sounded great!

Oh and I'm with you on the SK1's and SK2's - totally worthless for me. Every time they've shown up on a backline/rental kit, I've had to literally pull the muffling off of them in order to restore some upper mids for FOH to work with.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think some folks may be mis-reading what you are doing with this bass drum - as so often "wide open" means two heads, no holes, no muffling. Exactly the opposite from what I think I'm seeing in this picture - gigantic port (almost making the drum single headed) and some kind of pillow (an hourglass type?) with a pinstripe, PS3, or what? batter.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it sounded great!

Oh and I'm with you on the SK1's and SK2's - totally worthless for me. Every time they've shown up on a backline/rental kit, I've had to literally pull the muffling off of them in order to restore some upper mids for FOH to work with.
Yes, I was probably not clear that with “wide open” I meant physically, a big hole not wide open sound. The purpose is getting a fat, short sound, which this set-up does wonderfully.

Head is a PS3 and the pillow is a KickPro weighted.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I purchased my 24 x 14” N&C Horizon bass drum - I ordered the drum with a clear Remo PS3 batter and Remo Fiberskyn PS3 resonant side . I took it out to a guy the week I bought it as is - no additional muffling and I used the square red wood JR Robinson Danmar beater . It sounded glorious ! Huge and boomy ! The bass player loved it , the singer/guitar player not so much . I compromised and put an Evans EQ pillow in the bass drum , but just flat on the bottom of the shell , not pressed up against the batter head . I also put on a posted Band logo head from Evans . It still has lots of body and resonance but just controlled enough .
This particular bass drum has become my favourite bass drum .

beatman

Reaction score
Same. They're just so DEAD. I recently got a set of Doc Sweeneys that had an Aquarian Modern Vintage bass drum reso head with the 1.5" felt ring. The bass drum tone was a little anemic, especially as compared to the toms and snare. Just today, out of frustration, I threw a Hail Mary and slowly removed the glued-in felt ring. Instant reward: the drum now sounds huge! And no residue on the inside of the head. I banish said ring to the dustbin!

View attachment 449917
View attachment 449923
im not familiar with this brand.the drum looks beautiful

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I purchased my 24 x 14” N&C Horizon bass drum - I ordered the drum with a clear Remo PS3 batter and Remo Fiberskyn PS3 resonant side . I took it out to a guy the week I bought it as is - no additional muffling and I used the square red wood JR Robinson Danmar beater . It sounded glorious ! Huge and boomy ! The bass player loved it , the singer/guitar player not so much . I compromised and put an Evans EQ pillow in the bass drum , but just flat on the bottom of the shell , not pressed up against the batter head . I also put on a posted Band logo head from Evans . It still has lots of body and resonance but just controlled enough .
This particular bass drum has become my favourite bass drum .
I hear you. My favourit sound is running the drum closed but I’m preparing for a recording session where I need a short deep thwack.

What It Is

Reaction score
Might you try a Remo CS Smooth White with the Dot? I believe SC used to use the CS Dots on the bass drum. Maybe it will bring that sweet spot (ha!) of "thwack" that you're looking for?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Might you try a Remo CS Smooth White with the Dot? I believe SC used to use the CS Dots on the bass drum. Maybe it will bring that sweet spot (ha!) of "thwack" that you're looking for?
Actually that was my first thought :) but I’d have to special order it since my dealer doesn’t carry it nor the clear CS and the session is tomorrow.