header.nohb.html

Will a Sonor slotted key work on Premier Slotted lugs?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I'm looking at some Premier drums and I don't have a Premier key. Looking online it appears that Sonor slotted keys are semi-reasonable to acquire vs. expensive vintage Premier keys....but will a Sonor work? I'm thinking yes it will, but thought I'd check for sure. Anyone have a spare of either they'd want to sell? Anyone know of a generic equivalent ? I have an older multi tool (bought from Cherie Willoughby) that does have a slotted key on it so I'm not dead in the water if I buy the drums (and, of course, a flat screwdriver will work in a pinch) but would like an actual key for use at gigs.

Back in the day we used Premier marching drums in the High School band. Lots of those keys floating around, should have snagged one of them funny furrin' keys then... but who knew? ;)

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both Sonor and Premier kits. The blade of the Sonor key is a bit thicker than the Premier version and sorta works but not all that great. I located a reproduction Premier slotted key but often times I’ll just just a quarter ($.25 for our worldwide friends).

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I'm looking at some Premier drums and I don't have a Premier key. Looking online it appears that Sonor slotted keys are semi-reasonable to acquire vs. expensive vintage Premier keys....but will a Sonor work? I'm thinking yes it will, but thought I'd check for sure. Anyone have a spare of either they'd want to sell? Anyone know of a generic equivalent ? I have an older multi tool (bought from Cherie Willoughby) that does have a slotted key on it so I'm not dead in the water if I buy the drums (and, of course, a flat screwdriver will work in a pinch) but would like an actual key for use at gigs.

Back in the day we used Premier marching drums in the High School band. Lots of those keys floating around, should have snagged one of them funny furrin' keys then... but who knew? ;)
I had the L shaped Sonor key and it worked on my vintage premier stuff.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the same issue a few weeks ago. The early 90's Sonor key works.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've done whole kit heads change/tuning with a flat-blade screw driver and a quarter. Not fun...
Do yourself a favor and get the adequate tool. Or else you might become lazy about tuning and start to be more and more to tolerant of wonky tones, maybe even lose interest in what are( when properly tuned) perfectly good tubs.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
As stated above, this key is readily available and will fit your Prem while also giving you a regular key on the other end.

2CD0AE43-39FF-4D91-A5D3-10F2CE80A332.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I knew you guys would know.

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looking online it appears that Sonor slotted keys are semi-reasonable to acquire vs. expensive vintage Premier keys....but will a Sonor work? I'm thinking yes it will, but thought I'd check for sure. Anyone have a spare of either they'd want to sell?
Hey Kevin, I've got about a half-dozen of the L-shaped Sonor keys. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one for free.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Kevin, I've got about a half-dozen of the L-shaped Sonor keys. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one for free.
I just now saw this. I'll shoot you a pm soon. Thanks!