Will drum prices rise?

dingaling

Reaction score
Sounds like lumber prices are going up for a bit. Not sure if that includes maple and birch, anyone think new drum prices will rise?

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, they already are starting to, and getting harder to find. Supply and demand, and not just drum prices - mostly anything.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sat down at the pad a while ago and wondered the same thing about sticks. It'll settle back down, but how long it'll take...?

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Drum prices have already been rising, even before the pandemic. Here's a few things off the top of my head that have risen in price recently...

--Yamaha Stage Custom kits went up by $30.
--Gretsch Catalinas have shot up by about $100-150.
--Ludwig Breakbeats went from $400 to $429.
--Ludwig Neusonics. Their main selling point was being USA-made for under $1000, but the most recent versions are now $1200.
--Barton drums started out pretty cheap with their Essential Maple/Beech/Birch lines, but they've shot up $200.
--Tama Speed Cobra & Iron Cobra Lever Glide hi-hat pedals went from $240 to $300!
--Drumheads? Maybe I just haven't bought drumheads in a while...how long have 14" snare heads cost $18? Seems only yesterday they were $14.

Last edited:

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wonder how many drum sets were in the containers stuck in the Suez? Shipping costs are up as well.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wonder how many drum sets were in the containers stuck in the Suez? Shipping costs are up as well.
Container prices have rocketed since March last year
40ft Container China->Europe - $2000 (2019), $8000 (now)

PPE equipment shipments for Covid (Containers at destination not emptied)
Huge demand for Sports/Leisure Clothing/Comptuer/Home office equipment - Home workers
Containers/Ships still out of position after Suez blockage - delays and ships re-routed

It'll not be until end of this year that prices may ease
Mick

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel prices , are decisive in the fluctuation of merchandise pricing , be it grocery produce, lumber or, in our case, drums .

The ocean going , diesel sucking , trans oceanic behemoths that deliver gear to us from you-know-where will remain more or less stable for a variety of reasons( silk road pipelines, eg. , Iranian connection) , but once it leaves our harbor docks .... kaching kaching kaching $$$$$

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hmmmm......lumber prices in general are up ~ 280% today v. pre-pandemic...

replacement cost of OSB was $10, is now over $45
2x4x9 was ~ $2.00....is now ~ $10

clearly this will translate into drum costs...
similarly many vinyl product lead times due to resin shortages are 20+ weeks v. pre-pandemic of 2-3 weeks

play what you have!

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just sat down at the pad a while ago and wondered the same thing about sticks. It'll settle back down, but how long it'll take...?
I'm always anticipating inflation and trying to figure out ways to beat it. I had a coupon for 20% off a GC order a while back, and there was already a good price on the sticks I use, so I bought 144 pair. Only 3 bananas so I'm set for a long time. I planned on 8+ years of heavy gigging but with a downturn and the pandemic it turned out to be at least 11 years of earning interest on maybe a $700+ difference instead of paying more for sticks. If gigs don't pick up much more than what they have( about 2 gigs a month so far) I might be set for life. Hey, if something terrible happens and I can't play 10 years from now, I can still sell them for more than I paid for them.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
I'm always anticipating inflation and trying to figure out ways to beat it. I had a coupon for 20% off a GC order a while back, and there was already a good price on the sticks I use, so I bought 144 pair. Only 3 bananas so I'm set for a long time. I planned on 8+ years of heavy gigging but with a downturn and the pandemic it turned out to be at least 11 years of earning interest on maybe a $700+ difference instead of paying more for sticks. If gigs don't pick up much more than what they have( about 2 gigs a month so far) I might be set for life. Hey, if something terrible happens and I can't play 10 years from now, I can still sell them for more than I paid for them.
Come again?

You bought how many pairs of sticks?!

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Come again?

You bought how many pairs of sticks?!
Yep. 144. I was playing a lot of hard rock gigs. With 3 hours of crushing backeats per night, that left stick gets to looking like a beaver chewed it up pretty quickly. I did separate them by density into boxes marked "heavy" (for the hard rock gigs) and "light" (for the blues, etc. gigs). It was several years ago and I'm only about a quarter of the way through them. I also have 20 years of razor blade cartridges. Sticks and blades take up almost no storage space, and are guaranteed to rise in price. No marketing is going to change my mind on those products in the coming decades.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shouldn’t this translate to higher prices for used gear?

Seems similar to the rise in used car prices with the chip pinch and low new inventory.
Theoretically, I think it should, but I suspect the used sector might adjust a little slower to pricing changes on new gear.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Shouldn’t this translate to higher prices for used gear?

Seems similar to the rise in used car prices with the chip pinch and low new inventory.
I think you're right. Used cars are getting tougher to find due to the shutdowns last year and fewer new cars rolling off the line.

There's a growing number of back-ordered drum products on Sweetwater right now, so the drum market could be moving in the same direction.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an inkling that wood prices would rise and this would translate into higher prices for drums and sticks . I have a kit being made by Summit drums that I paid for in advance and an add on N&C Tom on order it has already been paid for . I also got Jeff Rich to make me two bricks of sticks as well . I am not a stick breaker so two bricks will last me quite awhile . I am also somewhat unsure how gigs will be starting up again as we are still in lockdown in Ontario and they are talking about extending the lockdown .

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would guess that because of current geoeconomic conditions, in the short term that anything made from a solid block of wood has the potential of showing a significant price increase. Veneers (like 9/10 drums are made out of) would be less likely. Then you have to figure in the increased demand due to the pandemic and regular inflation (that included higher labor, taxes, etc.) so of course prices will increase due to one of many factors.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion, but it leaves out the fact that lumber prices have always fluctuated.

It was especially hard to forecast demand in April 2020 -- most experts thought home sales would drop significantly (since you couldn't actually "tour" a home at that time. Turns out, staying at home 24/7 created huge demand for bigger, newer houses -- creating this temporary blip while lumber mills and tree cutters are trying to hire back the people they laid off a year ago.

There's no lack of trees) Like gas prices settling out after the 2001 and 2011 spikes, the cost of wood will eventually reach equilbrium over time. Lumber will probably be a bit higher in the future, but not 200% higher.

As always, sorry to add facts to the discussion, but there you are!