Will I be able to do this with a 74' Super Sensitive?

SamuelPepys

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm buying a 74' Ludwig SS to replace a Pearl Professional Series snare with Pearl's own super sensitive mechanism. What I'm wondering is this: I mainly go for the medium tuned, super tight and dry, yet fat late 70's (or very early 80's) sound, and to really get that, on all my snare drums I tighten the snares to the point at which they choke the drum completely, and then I continue tightening until the drum opens up again fully, and you get all the beefy low end that you didn't have with looser snare tension, but with insanely clear and articulate ghost notes.

Now, can I do this with a Ludwig SS drum? Or does the mechanism not allow you to tighten the snares against the snare side head tightly enough to achieve the effect? On the Pearl SS, this is easy to do, but I heard someone saying you couldn't really do this on a Ludwig SS (don't know if they referred to all Ludwig SS snares, or just the 60's SS, as they had a different mechanism). I would really appreciate an answer by someone who's tried it or otherwise knows if it would work or not, as this would be a dealbreaker if it couldn't be acchieved. Thanks :)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I tighten the snares to the point at which they choke the drum completely, and then I continue tightening until the drum opens up again fully, and you get all the beefy low end that you didn't have with looser snare tension, but with insanely clear and articulate ghost notes.
I'd like to hear a sample of this......