Will rewrapping a vintage kit kill its Mojo?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider myself a true Vintage Drum guy but do appreciate them. Over the years I’ve had several Ludwig Standard kits come and go. Always loved the way sounded and of my other kits always had the best resale value which is why the came and went. I now have another in the sizes I like 22-12-16 and the gold strata in pretty good shape for a kit this old. (Funny thing, of all the Standard kits I’ve owned, not one ever had a date I could see inside ) but I am also think of having it professionally rewrapped. Will it change the overall sound of the drums negatively or do think the combination of the old wrap, the old glue and anything else thrown in when they were built should just remain this way.

Myk

Reaction score
Any pictures?, what is the reason to rewrap?

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless you change the edges up the wrap won't change the sound. I have wrapped several kits of various brands all with good results. At the end of the day they are your drums so do what makes you happy!

I will say I had many collector kits (the ones I would sell for a lot) that I never touched the bearing edges. Some of those kits looked great but did not sound as great as the kits I kept for myself that I would work on the edges to make them tune up easier.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
If they sound good now, they'll sound good after wrapping. But, ya know, wrapping is not easy or cheap. If you really can't live with the color {I personally like it}, I 'd consider selling them and buying what you want. They'll drop by half in value from rewrapping.That said, one of my favorite kits was a rewrap. But, the wrap was cracking and splitting....
IMG_1558 (1).jpg

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I can live with the color they are now...I was just curious if it would affect the sound. I’m aware it would kill the value but come on, silver glitter!!!

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I think there would be many more people interested in buying the set in the original finish, than if it were rewrapped.
I understand that. I don’t think I’ll be selling this one either way. I’ve learned my lesson and the Standards have that “Ludwig” sound I’m looking for.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As was said- there are plenty of vintage Ludwig sets out there with hammered wrap and bad rewraps. Buy one of those and make it Silver Sparkle.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
If it was a kit that I knew I was going to keep, I wouldn’t hesitate to rewrap them in a color that I love!

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Very few of our kits are going to end up in that mythical 'drum museum' (except my Rosewood Buddy kit :blink:), and anyone who would pay big bucks for it, already has one or more of them, and will soon be unloading them in the Big Boomer Sell-off. So I say rewrap them, and enjoy them as you please.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1965 Slingerland Modern Solo 2R outfit. The eBay link is HERE

The seller says it's a "Jet", but it's really a Modern Solo with COB hoops and Tempo King Snap-on pedal. I did not pay what the auction shows! Anyway, on physical inspection, the wrap on all drums has micro-cracks everywhere! The majority of these cracks have opened up into pits, showing a whitish substrate underneath. My first ever drum catalog was the Slingerland 1968 and I just loved the Modern Solo 2R, wrapped in "Sparkling Red Pearl". I plan to bring this kit back to its former glory and am considering a re-wrap in Red Glass Glitter. Since I have no plans to ever sell them, the choice to re-wrap is mine alone. You have that option to do the same with your drums!

The kit also came with the hi hat, snare stand and an original drum throne! I also have 2 first-generation flush-base cymbal stands and a first generation, smooth-shell, GK Sound King COB snare drum. The kit will look just like the catalog picture when done. Well, except for the COB bass drum hoops!

-Mark

Attachments

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sell it and buy another kit in silver sparkle. I'm not a hardline 'preserve the vintage drums' kind of guy, especially if the finish or the edges are shot. In this case though, gold strata is a cool and unique finish. If it's in at least ok shape, sell it to someone who'll appreciate it. IMO, it would be a shame to trash that finish.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider myself a true Vintage Drum guy but do appreciate them. Over the years I’ve had several Ludwig Standard kits come and go. Always loved the way sounded and of my other kits always had the best resale value which is why the came and went. I now have another in the sizes I like 22-12-16 and the gold strata in pretty good shape for a kit this old. (Funny thing, of all the Standard kits I’ve owned, not one ever had a date I could see inside ) but I am also think of having it professionally rewrapped. Will it change the overall sound of the drums negatively or do think the combination of the old wrap, the old glue and anything else thrown in when they were built should just remain this way.
It will lower it's value, what is wrong with that finish??

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
If the current wrap is in tolerable condition, you'll lose mojo and value if you rewrap it. Those Ludwig Standard sets had colors not available elsewhere. That's one of the cool parts of them.

Latest posts