Will rewrapping a vintage kit kill its Mojo?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Will it change the overall sound of the drums negatively or do think the combination of the old wrap, the old glue and anything else thrown in when they were built should just remain this way."

Do what you will ... but you asked for input. This is mine.
Man, I will not enter into the "change sound" arguement. WAY too many opinions out there on that.
But ...
Gold Strata is a highly sought after finish.
Sell it and find shells that "need" a new finish.
There are plenty of Ludwigs that need a refresh from that era ... they are not difficult to come by ... and they are cheap (comparatively speaking).
Clean Gold Strata drums ARE somewhat difficult to come by.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is - NO...do NOT re-wrap Ludwig Standards. Doesn't matter what the shells look like. These drums are in demand right now. 3 ply Ludwig greatness, do NOT take a chance on messing with that under any circumstances. Upgraded spurs? yeah, I can see that.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’ve considered your question again and decided that since it’s your drums obviously that’s your decision what to do with them.

if it were me and I just wanted to change the look or something without damaging the value I would possibly look into a temporary re-wrap with overlapping wrap on either end along the lugs that way you can remove the wrap easily just by taking the hardware back off the drums.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1965 Slingerland Modern Solo 2R outfit. The eBay link is HERE

The seller says it's a "Jet", but it's really a Modern Solo with COB hoops and Tempo King Snap-on pedal. I did not pay what the auction shows! Anyway, on physical inspection, the wrap on all drums has micro-cracks everywhere! The majority of these cracks have opened up into pits, showing a whitish substrate underneath. My first ever drum catalog was the Slingerland 1968 and I just loved the Modern Solo 2R, wrapped in "Sparkling Red Pearl". I plan to bring this kit back to its former glory and am considering a re-wrap in Red Glass Glitter. Since I have no plans to ever sell them, the choice to re-wrap is mine alone. You have that option to do the same with your drums!

The kit also came with the hi hat, snare stand and an original drum throne! I also have 2 first-generation flush-base cymbal stands and a first generation, smooth-shell, GK Sound King COB snare drum. The kit will look just like the catalog picture when done. Well, except for the COB bass drum hoops!

-Mark
Sweet.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think refinishing a kit that needs it is awesome. It's the honorable thing to do.

But if you have the option to accomplish the same thing without destroying a prime example, that's even more honorable.

I don't know where I acquired such a morality about this...

...strange.

Couldn't you sell your set and just buy orphans to re-wrap? Ones that could use a rewrap? Less of an investment probably, as well.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a vintage drum lover, rarely any modern drum impresses me with looks and charm, some do but very few. Sound is a different story.

If the wrap doesn’t have any issues and you can live with it (color, style, etc.), I wouldn’t touch it. I think there is a cool factor of it being original, at least to me.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"well "vintage" to some people is anything over 25 years old. From the very moment. So..95? Something from 1995? Can't see rewrapping something from 1995 as a Giant loss.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"well "vintage" to some people is anything over 25 years old. From the very moment. So..95? Something from 1995? Can't see rewrapping something from 1995 as a Giant loss.
To me vintage is still anything older than 1990.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yea, there's Vintage "as a category" say manufactured from 1950 to 1970 for example, and then there's Vintage "as a time relative to the present moment"

You are talking about wrapping Ludwig Standards from the early 70s?
I'm sure it wouldn't detract Much and if it makes you feel better :thumbs up:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think they will look odd silver sparkle ...When I see those lugs I see those style wraps ...They just go together ..

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
It sounds like you are pretty decided on keeping them original, which I think is great. something is only original once and there are so many beat up, neglected shells out there that I would never see a reason to mess with a perfectly good set. I see it fairly often as well where someone says they are going to keep a set forever then end up either needing or wanting to sell later on. I look at original vintage drums as investments that will hold value.

I had a friend from high school that bought a 1969 blue sparkle Ludwig downbeat from a daddy's junky music store back in the 90's for something like $300. It was a late '69 set too as it had the new curved spurs that would be used through the 70's. He was unhappy about how the spurs worked and decided to add Pearl spurs to beef the set up. I begged him not to but long story short, he ended up selling the set and the mods really hurt the value. Plus there are very few downbeats from 1969 and even fewer with curved spurs so I was sad to see them get altered. Hindsight is always 20/20