Will rewrapping a vintage kit kill its Mojo?

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are currently 22 pre CBS Fenders on Reverb that are refinished/repainted.

I guess I stand corrected, but as a guitar player and a guy who has been around guitar guys I've never ever heard one say they want to refinish their guitar or were looking for a refinished guitar. Like never. Wounds, scratches and wear marks were a badge of honor.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I stand corrected, but as a guitar player and a guy who has been around guitar guys I've never ever heard one say they want to refinish their guitar or were looking for a refinished guitar. Like never. Wounds, scratches and wear marks were a badge of honor.
You don't really hear drummers talking about it that much either- but worn gear was never cool to most drummers.

Most drummers do turn their noses up at rewrapped sets- at the very least as a bargaining chip.

I don't really see anything inherently wrong with a rewrapped set- but there are so many hammered sets out there that it is painful to see a nice original 40+ year old wrap get removed these days.

Guzowskip

Reaction score
Do people have string instruments re-finished, ever?
This is wide open question. As a general rule, I'd say never for acoustic instruments, especially if truly vintage. We have a family heirloom violin from 1667. My dad had it valued by one of the major international auction houses.... They said that after more thorough evaluation it could be worth $250K but since it had been refinished somewhere along the way which would adversely affect the tone. The best we could expect would be $10K IF we had it restored to playing condition.

For solid-body instruments I suspect it's less of an issue other than for those who demand "original" finish. For drums, wrapped and natural finish drums sound different to me.. I guess because the wrap is, in effect, another layer on the shell and the type of bonding adhesive also affects the shells' timbre.

Latest posts