Will The Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary Patina With Time?

codydee12

Reaction score
I own(ed)/play(ed) 30th Annerversary cymbals of all three periods: not empirically proven, but I would destinguish 3 main periods.

The first, from 2010 until 2012 (roughly) was the first period, when the cymbals had that extreme umbrella profile and kind of high pitch, very similar to some old K's. It has this golden color, fully lathed and they aswome when they age. The hats were super thin (below 600g for a 14"), the rides around 2300-2400 for a 22". Mine was re-lathed later from Michael Paiste down to 2200g. It sounds killer, but very special! Not "easy" to play, but tons of character. It has 5 rivets, but I prefer to play it without any rivets. You can see the wonderful patina in the attached photo.

The second version from 2012 to at least 2016 was the one with the patina, only partly lathed. They are dryer, but have those wonderful overtones. I love them, they look so beautiful and some (not all) really sound beautiful. They can sound very trashy, others are more on the cleanr side, some are very dry, others are more on the gongy side. I play an awsome 24", it is warped and not evenly plain, but who cares. Its a beauty! It is this one:

The third period must have started sometime after 2016. I was in Istanbul (not in the factory, but at the shops selling the agops) in 2018 and bought one of those newer 22" 30th, golden color, no patina, rather flat profile. It sounded a bit cleaner but had too much wash for my taste so I ended uo selling it again.
That’s pretty much the conclusion I have come to as well - 3 periods with 3 different characters to the cymbal - my favorite rides come from the first two periods. I have come to really like the 22 that’s the newest batch. Although it’s not what I wanted from a 30th (I wanted dry and patina), it’s unique and is different sound from my agop signatures.

Ultimately, I would like to get one more similar to the two you just shared. I love the sound of that 24! That has such a dry sound with a woody attack.

bergheimer

Reaction score
Yes indeed! That's what I love about this 24" 30th! Even though it's one of the lighter versions, around 2850g. Most of the 24" within this area are in he range of 3000-3100g. But as I said, it is warped like hell. (s. phozo below). I almost sold it because it kind of bothered me, but now I got used to it and I dont care:)

24" Agop 30th IV.jpg

codydee12

Reaction score
Yes indeed! That's what I love about this 24" 30th! Even though it's one of the lighter versions, around 2850g. Most of the 24" within this area are in he range of 3000-3100g. But as I said, it is warped like hell. (s. phozo below). I almost sold it because it kind of bothered me, but now I got used to it and I dont care:)

View attachment 504528
That's pretty crazy how much it wrapped. But sound is king at the end of the day. Glad you are liking yours!

Krys

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are the greatest jazz rides ever to me. The problem is they are so individual, it took me a year to find 20-22 pair that would sound great together. Finally!