Willie's Drummer, Paul English, died

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just saw that on the news. I think he has been with him since the beginning, no?

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He was full time with Willie since 1966. Very sad day. He was a cool guy with a great vibe. He and Willie sure had some times together.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just saw that on the news. I think he has been with him since the beginning, no?
Yes, I believe he was. I think Paul had some health issues in recent years and his brother took over the drum set while Paul did percussion. I always liked Paul and he had the Waylon vibe going with the facial hair which further made him a favorite of mine.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
The article above notes that TRE COOL (of all people) subbed for him at a recent Willie Nelson performance in San Francisco that Paul wasn't able to play.

"In January 2020, fans of Nelson’s were surprised to see Green Day drummer Tre Cool performing with the country legend during a show at the Fillmore in San Francisco. Cool told Rolling Stone at the time that he had stepped in because English was sick."

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember him form those old 70's ads for Rogers...

ra1199

Reaction score
Saw him with Willie just a few months ago; glad I got to see this concert.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, yeah! Leave it to blueshadow to be the man up on Mr. English's work. Much appreciated, sir! I thought I read somewhere that he would busk with Willie in the 50's, on the street, just the two of them.

We've lost a real-deal guy from American culture.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Around 1990 an ABC newsmagazine did a special on the Highwaymen and I taped it on VHS (of course) and absolutely cannot find it since we moved a few years back. I distinctly remember it showed some pretty decent footage of Paul onstage with Willie--was it a black Rogers kit? Can't remember if it was a concert tom kit or not??

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The article above notes that TRE COOL (of all people) subbed for him at a recent Willie Nelson performance in San Francisco that Paul wasn't able to play.

"In January 2020, fans of Nelson’s were surprised to see Green Day drummer Tre Cool performing with the country legend during a show at the Fillmore in San Francisco. Cool told Rolling Stone at the time that he had stepped in because English was sick."

He's not named Tre COOL for no reason.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I saw Paul with Willie in the early 2000's and the whole band was great. I had no idea what to expect and I liked it a lot. Paul was just playing snare drum and brushes all night and it sounded great. I wasn't sure how it was going to sound with just a snare drum only but Paul did a fantastic job of giving the songs exactly what they needed. I think the most surprising part for me was Willie's guitar playing. Up to that point I had no real knowledge of Willie as a musician other than his classic songs and what I may have heard on the radio. I remember his first solo that night and I was scanning the stage looking for the guitar player that was ripping out these awesome country leads. After a few minutes of not finding the guy I realized Willie was playing them! I had no idea he could play guitar that well!

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember him and Rex Ludwick both in "Honeysuckle Rose", both playing Rogers Drums. Rex with the red Big R ones and Paul playing the black ones, of course. His were a mashup of script and Big R.

Latest posts