Winds Player Late to the Drum Game

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
I started on clarinet in ~2003, switched to saxophone 2 years later, and in the past 6 years have relearned clarinet and picked up flute, trombone, and some trumpet and cornet. Drums came around 2016 and have been more of a main instrument than anything besides saxophone since. I've really enjoyed finding my own sound on each of these instruments, as that's been a huge part of my journey on saxophone. My current non-drum instruments are as follows:

-Early 1900s Holton soprano w/S-80s in C* and F tips and a Meyer 5M
-1959 Martin Committee III alto with 80s Meyers in 5M and 6M and early Bergs in 100/2 and 110/2
-1956 Martin Committee III tenor with a Ponzol HR 110, Berg 125/2, and Tenney Tonemaster 7
- Late 1900s Conn Naked Lady bari with Jody Jazz Jet 7, Otto Link 9*, and Berg 110/0
-late 1900s LeBlanc wooden low Eb bass clarinet with Vandoren B50
-Selmer Series 9 clarinet with Vandoren M30
-Armstrong intermediate open hole flute with B foot
-1940s comm iii alto and tenor as backup horns

-1935 King Silvertone trombone with Conn 3
-1960s King Silversonic Trumpet with Monette 2B
-Early 1900s King Silvertone Cornet with Bach 7C

Just about all of these I've acquired locally through used marketplaces, and I've gotten some phenomenal deals. All my saxophones were $500-1000, excepting the Holton soprano, which was like $90. The King trombone and trumpet were about $400 each and the cornet was also about $90. I used the money I saved from these low buying prices to have overhauls done on most of them, which felt like a good investment. I love playing them all even with my limited capabilities on the trumpet and cornet. Coming from about 15 years on modern saxophones, mostly Yamahas, I've also enjoyed the very different world of Martin and Conn horns. Two Olds Super trombones and a Conn Coprion preceded my King trombone but have since been obviated by it. I'd love to try some King saxophones sometimes, particularly super 20s and Zephyr Specials, but am in no hurry as long as I'm being taken care of by these Martins.

Music is such a huge part of my world, I could talk about it forever probably but I'll leave it there for now.

onacarom

Reaction score
It's funny to see a wind player going towards the baería ...
Many people think that drums are just rhythm ... I think that the drums, a good rhythm that catches, that gives ground and that opens spaces for other instruments is the basis of all music.
The chords on the guitar, when we play alone, are a percussion within a harmony ...
When I see drummers using their 2 hands and 2 feet independently I always admire myself ...@Rhythm Block

Stay safe!

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
It's funny to see a wind player going towards the baería ...
Many people think that drums are just rhythm ... I think that the drums, a good rhythm that catches, that gives ground and that opens spaces for other instruments is the basis of all music.
The chords on the guitar, when we play alone, are a percussion within a harmony ...
When I see drummers using their 2 hands and 2 feet independently I always admire myself ...@Rhythm Block

Stay safe!
Totally agree. I believe drums can serve as a melodic instrument or a purely supportive rhythm instrument, or anywhere in between. But the most fascinating part of playing is exploring the abstract realm of "felt but not heard," and finding the most beautiful colors to paint with without ever fully understanding why. Just like with any other instrument though, playing is an act of collaboration that demands constant adaptation.