Winter dance party kit

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Hi all. Wondering if anyone can identify what I assume is Carl Bunch’s kit used on the 1959 Winter dance party tour.
This photo is of Ritchie Valens filling in for Carl when he was in the hospital.
It’s a pretty good photo but I can’t quite make out what brand it may be. Any guesses?
1593189746267.jpeg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm going to say WFL. Those look like WFL bass drum legs and the floor tom looks like it has spring loaded legs and a centered WFL keystone badge. Kind of hard to tell though. Cool pic!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here a black and white shot of the same set. Thats Carlo Mastrongelo of The Belmonts on drums.
Do the lugs look familiar? I'm thinking these are Slingy.

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, look at how the ride cymbal is mounted on the front hoop with that HUGE "L" rod. I dont think I've ever seen one that extreme before. I think maybe Ritchie didnt really know how to set up the drums correctly. The mounted tom looks really low.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Man, look at how the ride cymbal is mounted on the front hoop with that HUGE "L" rod. I dont think I've ever seen one that extreme before. I think maybe Ritchie didnt really know how to set up the drums correctly. The mounted tom looks really low.
I noticed that L Rod too. Can’t quite figure that out looks like it’s about to fall over. Looks like the Tom has a single flanged hoop on it as you can see the collar of the calf head. When looking at the floor Tom almost looks to me like it could have stick saver hoops.
With the angle of the bass spurs I would have to guess slinging also.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
LOL....Yea, I just think Richie set the cymbal straight , tightened the set screw and as he was playing the cymbal "crept" to the right. Very common with those old hoop mounts. I agree the tom is single flange. in another picture, I think I see the clips.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
When was the speed king first introduced 58 59? Ritchie looks like he’s sitting on a regular table chair which the amps are also sitting on. Looks like some old tangled extension cord running across the stage. Not very high tech!