Winter Namm 2020

Ox Han

Reaction score
winter namm 2020 coming soon! rumors and predictions start now....

new Speedking bass drum pedal from Ludwig
traveler set from SJC
TAMA Starclassic Birch snare
ATV aD5 5th anniversary limited edition...
Sweetwater has this SJC kit I think. It’s called “the busker”.

I like the sizes, but is that the worst finish ever. I know color don’t make a drum sound better but the reflective gold is an immediate “no” for me. I like the sizes though. The 20x12 is such a great size.

Last edited by a moderator:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of teasers on Ludwig's FB page. Thinking maybe something in oak on the way:
80989307_10157846569163529_6486432959594233856_n.jpg

And I guess this is at least the beater for the "new" speed king. The pedal itself looks like the Atlas, perhaps if not the new SK doesn't look any different. We'll find out. I like my Atlas but if the SK has a few improvements I'll be up for one.

82453136_10157861536488529_2497988971179540480_o.jpg

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Also if anyone gets by the Ludwig booth and they see Bob Henry could you get his contact info (email will do) I used to have it but changed internet providers and no longer have it.

bernard

Reaction score
- I recall being disappointed at how relatively fewer exhibitors were present compared to previous visits. I can't say as I blame them; being in a room surrounded by 9th graders beating the crap out of everything in sight for several hours a day, even with earplugs, would have made me a long term guest of the state. My hat is off to those of us who worked a booth without any homicide convictions.
http://instagr.am/p/B659UenlPjV/

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
- I recall being disappointed at how relatively fewer exhibitors were present compared to previous visits. I can't say as I blame them; being in a room surrounded by 9th graders beating the crap out of everything in sight for several hours a day, even with earplugs, would have made me a long term guest of the state. My hat is off to those of us who worked a booth without any homicide convictions.
The reason for fewer exhibitors has less to do with the noise (though noise is a major drag at NAMM), but more to do with the cost of manufacturers exhibiting and their ROI, or lack thereof. I'm not taking a shot at NAMM - it's a great origination and they've treated me well throughout the years, but when you look at what it costs manufactures to exhibit, i.e. booth space, freighting their goods, travel/flights, hotels, meals, etc it's a small fortune. And exponentially more for larger companies.

Manufacturers used to write business at NAMM, in some cases for the entire year, or at the very least they would come away with dealer commitments for new products, so it justified the expense, but that doesn't happen anymore. NAMM is still an important and influential trade show, but you're seeing fewer smaller dealers attend it due to the costs associated with traveling there. It's a Trade show, but fewer people from the Trade (music dealers) are attending. That's not good for manufacturers. An indicator that although our economy is supposedly strong, the music industry (certainly the drum industry) continues to struggle and is definitely not growing. Interesting times.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The reason for fewer exhibitors has less to do with the noise (though noise is a major drag at NAMM), but more to do with the cost of manufacturers exhibiting and their ROI, or lack thereof. I'm not taking a shot at NAMM - it's a great origination and they've treated me well throughout the years, but when you look at what it costs manufactures to exhibit, i.e. booth space, freighting their goods, travel/flights, hotels, meals, etc it's a small fortune. And exponentially more for larger companies.

Manufacturers used to write business at NAMM, in some cases for the entire year, or at the very least they would come away with dealer commitments for new products, so it justified the expense, but that doesn't happen anymore. NAMM is still an important and influential trade show, but you're seeing fewer smaller dealers attend it due to the costs associated with traveling there. It's a Trade show, but fewer people from the Trade (music dealers) are attending. That's not good for manufacturers. An indicator that although our economy is supposedly strong, the music industry (certainly the drum industry) continues to struggle and is definitely not growing. Interesting times.
- That makes too much sense. Thanks for weighing in.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Plus you can see pictures of everything new online and a deal is an email away. I'd like to make it out to winter NAMM one year before it's gone...I suspect in 10 years it will be, hope I'm wrong

Ox Han

Reaction score
Plus you can see pictures of everything new online and a deal is an email away. I'd like to make it out to winter NAMM one year before it's gone...I suspect in 10 years it will be, hope I'm wrong
I was going to write more or less the same thing. The internet has made NAMM almost obsolete and more expensive for companies. A company can announce new product launches, provide better demos of those products, and have a much larger audience all via internet. That SJC busker kit above is a good example. SJC have international audience, a better quality demo than you’d get at NAMM, and lower cost by using the internet.

NAMM still offers interaction and network potential for insiders, but it’s lost it’s cost effectiveness. I’m not sure it will disappear but it will have to become smaller, more exclusive and will probably have to find some kind of way to reinvent itself.

Latest posts