Winter Namm 2020

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
... but when you look at what it costs manufactures to exhibit, i.e. booth space, freighting their goods, travel/flights, hotels, meals, etc it's a small fortune. And exponentially more for larger companies.

Manufacturers used to write business at NAMM, in some cases for the entire year, or at the very least they would come away with dealer commitments for new products, so it justified the expense, but that doesn't happen anymore. NAMM is still an important and influential trade show, but you're seeing fewer smaller dealers attend it due to the costs associated with traveling there. It's a Trade show, but fewer people from the Trade (music dealers) are attending. That's not good for manufacturers. An indicator that although our economy is supposedly strong, the music industry (certainly the drum industry) continues to struggle and is definitely not growing. Interesting times.
I have worked for MI companies that have spent more than $1M to come to NAMM. It definitely adds up in a hurry. I tried to convince them to fly their 100 top dealers to Hawaii and put them up in a hotel with hookers and blow instead of spending a million on coming to NAMM. It would have saved them a lot.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sweetwater has this SJC kit I think. It’s called “the busker”.

I like the sizes, but is that the worst finish ever. I know color don’t make a drum sound better but the reflective gold is an immediate “no” for me. I like the sizes though. The 20x12 is such a great size.
I don't mind the finish. The badge is what I can't stand. It is just too big, cheesy and garish. The price seems a bit high for what I am assuming is a Luan shelled kit.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I highly doubt that the NAMM show will be gone anytime soon. Booth space is nearly sold out every year, and attendance continues to grow. Now it does seem that
The comments section of Jared Falk original post is kind of revealing and very entertaining. He goes on to say that his complaint is ambiguous, not really about anyone in particular and he seems quite defensive

I dont know what consumers are supposed to take away from these ambiguous gripes anyway.
Always plenty of armchair quarterbacking to go along with NAMM. I don't see NAMM going anywhere anytime soon. Nearly sold out exhibit halls and record attendance year after year (even if you don't like who is attending). For some brands the consumer exposure is worth it. Seeing as dealers are generally conservative in their product offerings, it's up to the manufacturer to get the buzz going. And as I said on my facebook page, what's worse, the 4 days of NAMM chaos, or the bitching and whining about corporate rebrands, the noise level, how my feelings are hurt because I've been "copied", and NAMMthrax? My vote is the latter.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the 4 days of NAMM chaos,
That's why I'm only going 2 days this year instead of all 4 days ... after a while the noise level gets so bad in there.

I figure I can do all the networking with the companies I endorse in 2 days and still have a bit of time to walk the halls and look at other gear.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the finish. The badge is what I can't stand. It is just too big, cheesy and garish. The price seems a bit high for what I am assuming is a Luan shelled kit.
I like the gold finish. Reminds me of the gold wrap that Slingerland once used. Quite pretty, I think.

Turns out that they are mahogany shells. And the video I found at Sweetwater reveals that they are a very nice-sounding set of drums. The price seems like a bargain, to me.

GeeDeeEmm

Ox Han

Reaction score
I like the sound and that it's most likely Luan. Not digging the color, but I guess I'm the odd one out. Price is great for Luan drums in those sizes and that sound good.

I mean, if C&C charge $1799+ for a Luan kit, and the catalina clubs are $700 for a set w/ a 20", then $499 is a great deal

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the gold finish. Reminds me of the gold wrap that Slingerland once used. Quite pretty, I think.

Turns out that they are mahogany shells. And the video I found at Sweetwater reveals that they are a very nice-sounding set of drums. The price seems like a bargain, to me.

GeeDeeEmm
"mahogany" can mean a lot of things, most notably, luan. However, you can probably say the same thing about "luan"...I think that's a catch-all for "tree we logged on some Asian Pacific Island".

But there's nothing wrong with luan. People say it's trash, but then go onto praise drums made out of every kind of metal or plastic out there. I don't get why it's supposedly the only material out there that's unusable for a good sounding drum. I say, at least it's wood, and like any other wood species, some pieces are better than others.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would wish that, in light of today's news of Neil's passing, that DW does a Slingerland chromey or blackchrome tribute kit. Even if it's a one-off, it would be a nice tribute to Neil's heritage.
I’d consider A 2 nd mortgage for a Chromey ....