Wireless Headphones for Electronic Drums

GaryB

Reaction score
I'm thinking to buy an electronic drum kit for practice. I've seen pictures of people playing them with wired headphones, but I worry the wire wrapped around my shoulder and down my back may drive me nuts.

Does anybody have any experience or suggestions about wireless headphones? I've read they can cause latency (delay) issues. Are there any wireless headphones that don't have much latency at a reasonable price?

Thanks!
Gary

Attachments

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Used wired. Unless you're running around stage. Simple crocodile clip (10 for £$2) onto your shirt collar at the back so the cable runs straight down your back.

IF you REALLY want wireless - then you need analogue wireless - not any form of digital. Then you'll have no latency.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny thing about drums and latency ...

Consider your rack tom. It’s roughly 3’ away from your ears so acoustically it would take 3ms from the time you strike it until that sound would reach your ears. If you put a mic 2” away from the batter head and then run that sound analog into your ears it would actually arrive 3ms earlier to your ears than it would acoustically.

You’re already hearing your bass player 10ms late due to distance. So even with a decent digital IEM system you’re cutting that latency down to 3ms. So what latency are you worried about? If you’re guitar player has a digital pedal he's added 3-9ms of latency to his playing. Does he complain?

It’s a complicated dance that is greatly feared by a lot of those with very little experience with it.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
One of the big problems with digital is so much runs on the jammed up 2.4GHz band. Filled with WiFi and Bluetooth...

Still moot anyway - as a drummer - just use wired unless you're running around :)

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Digital units are not restricted to the 2.4G ISM band. There are plenty of models running in the more conventional UHF band (470-608MHz in the USA).

For me ... I run wired (even though I have designed commercial digital wireless systems and antenna systems)

RIneuron

Reaction score
I would investigate in-ear monitors instead of headphones. Better sound in many cases, lightweight, and no worry about heat. There are several strings discussing this on the vdrums forum.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
I would investigate in-ear monitors instead of headphones. Better sound in many cases, lightweight, and no worry about heat. There are several strings discussing this on the vdrums forum.
Used cans in Ibiza in near 40C :) It's all very personal.

Bgood

Reaction score
I don't even notice the headphone wire anymore.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
No problem with the wire here either - but I'm not big on coiled cables. I like my cable hanging free - not choking me.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
I've been playing e-drums since 1997, in all that time I've used headphones and about 10 years ago switched to IEM. Once you get them correctly fitted you will NEVER notice the cord down your back, unless you forget and get up before taking them off. ;). Shure makes a moderately priced pair of IEM for under $100, they sound good and are very comfortable. If you will be playing out then don't skimp get pro IEM.