Wish me luck. Recording this weekend

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
My band was hired to record a 7 song (or more) EP. The guy has used studio musicians and a local producer with studio but liked the sound we got on our home studio better. So, with a super patient and supportive wife I will be taking over part of the house to record this weekend. I'm engineering, playing drums and part of the production team. We have 3 rehearsals scheduled and then Friday-Sunday recording. The goal is to get as many basic tracks done as possible. Drums are live in the room and the electric guitar amp will go in the closet, bass and keys will be DI'd. The artist/singer will be in my dinning room. There are french doors leading to the music room so we can see him. I have 6 independent headphone mixes so the mix should be good.

I'm excited and nervous. It's enough to just play let alone run the gear.

I'm using my DW kit, BB 6.5 for most songs and may use the DW thin aluminum, Acro or a COB supra for the low thuddy stuff.

I'll try and get some pictures Friday before we look too haggard....

mangosmoothie

Reaction score
I could never be a studio drummer. I' never happy enough with how it turns out.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would see if I could get someone else to run the equipment. I am, be default, the recording tech for our band, and dividing my attention between my drumming and running the DAW does not help my drumming.

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
mangosmoothie said:
Common problem.. Hindadoon gave me some interesting advice for this.

Get a good, solid take.. to the click, no mistakes, etc. Then, do another where you just let it fly. You've got your solid take, so you can just 'go for it' knowing you've got a keeper take.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
dtk said:
cool...sounds like a lot of fun and pressure.
on the odd chance you can get some time...are the DW alum and COB Supra 6.5 too?
The COB supra is a 5" the DW is a 6.5"

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
Stickinthemud said:
I would see if I could get someone else to run the equipment. I am, be default, the recording tech for our band, and dividing my attention between my drumming and running the DAW does not help my drumming.
no kidding.... I did this once before with my band. Material is harder and it was in a garage in Dec...cold, cold cold.......

theneonguy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great wifey there, Dave. I, too, record and drum simultaneously, and enginner the whole thing. Lots of fun once you get the ball rolling, as I'm sure you have before. Seems like you have the isolation down. I turned my home into a studio too, and use the dining room, which I sealed off, as the mixer/drum booth. It can be quite a task sometimes, to get players to go direct, in order to get clean tracks. Did you meet with any resistance on this? But, great work so far. Good luck and kick ass, man!

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
No resistance, they know i want them to sound good. With the GTR closed mic'd he will be fine in the closet. I'd like to mike the bass and DI it but.....maybe. I will use his output on the amp so it will have some tone to it. My son has a nice (old) SWR amp with a tube pre. I may have him use that. the GTR players have nice small tube amps. It's gonna sound great to have those babies turned up a bit. 22w fender deluxe reverb and a 18w Mesa lunchbox

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
biggator said:
Common problem.. Hindadoon gave me some interesting advice for this.
Get a good, solid take.. to the click, no mistakes, etc. Then, do another where you just let it fly. You've got your solid take, so you can just 'go for it' knowing you've got a keeper take.
There's a LOT of peace of mind for me knowing I have one in the can that will work. However, I've realized that most of the time if I try to "let it fly" it doesn't end up a keeper. I have to "sort of let it fly."