WMP Camco Oaklawn 20 14 12 w/snare

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seeing Manny's beautiful champagne tuxedo kit prompted me to move this kit to the front of the cleanup line. I picked this kit up in Indiana over the summer from the son of the original owner; fortunately the original owner is still alive, so I was able to collect a bit of the history of the kit.

This kit is complete, missing nothing and, besides a bit of pitting on a few lugs, is in stellar condition. Been playing it as-is in the attic, but I went through a lot of covid restoration projects already, so it's time for this one. Let the cleanup begin.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's the shadow on the front bass drum head (dumb question sorry..) : )
around the edge etc
I can see a felt strip but what else is there
is it clear?

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what's the shadow on the front bass drum head (dumb question sorry..) : )
around the edge etc
I can see a felt strip but what else is there
is it clear?
Just the grime line where the 14 apparently sat; don't think it's all going to magic-eraser out, as there is a stain as well.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: JDA

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Beautiful find! Share some of that history when you get the chance.
That consolette rail looks rust free........

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the grime line where the 14 apparently sat; don't think it's all going to magic-eraser out, as there is a stain as well.
yea you might have to wet/brush it out (head off the drum!
far out man far out. knew I saw something)

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful find! Share some of that history when you get the chance.
That consolette rail looks rust free........
Not all that interesting, but it does shed light on the condition. The son said his dad played it one year in high school, and he was born in 1953, so the timeline sounds consistent. Then it sat in the closet in Indianapolis for the next 50-odd years. I asked about cymbals that came with the kit, where are the others? That's all he ever had, the son said. A pair of 10" UFiP hats and a 15" Ludwig Paiste 'ride'. Can you imagine trying to sound like Ringo or Buddy or whomever with just those cymbals?

Original heads all the way around, with his SSN lightly written near the rims. Good thing he didn't have an engraver!

Here's a question for you Camco cognoscenti- the 14x14 has ONE tension rod that is completely square headed. Did Camco go through a h/w change that would align with the oval Oaklawn badge era?

Another oddity is the lack of a badge on the snare; although it does have the key holder and vent. I hear that snares with no badge is not all that uncommon.

Attachments

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I wager that somebody on the production line forgot to soften those corners. Looks very early Rogers.
I'm not familiar with the un-badged SD thing. Are the rest of the badges "Oaklawn, Illinois" or "Oaklawn, Illinois U.S.A."?

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wager that somebody on the production line forgot to soften those corners. Looks very early Rogers.
I'm not familiar with the un-badged SD thing. Are the rest of the badges "Oaklawn, Illinois" or "Oaklawn, Illinois U.S.A."?
All the badges are USA, so I assume later in the 60's. As far as I can tell, they seem to be 4 ply vs 6, but the paint goes all the way up to the bearing edge, hard to tell.

Attachments

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FWIW on my recent restore I lacquered an old head and then applied a decal. That's why it looks so clean. The original logo head is beyond repair.