WNY drummers - Buffalo Drum Outlet is closing

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very sad, but I'm glad it's due to retirement and not something else. He deserves his upcoming time off for sure.

He ran an ethical store that gave all drummers great advice and NEVER tried to sell something we didn't need or want. I bought my first issue of Modern Drummer from him, along with cymbals, kits and everything in between, and even though I haven't been in the market for a lot of gear lately, he was always the "go to" for odd parts, sticks and heads. Sad but very well deserved!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love Paul. When I lived up in Buffalo, Paul was the man I dealt with for all my drum stuff. I picked up three kits (maybe more, don't fully recall) from him, a ton of cymbals and hardware etc ... man, I am so glad he is finally retiring, but it does have a cloud of melancholy to it. It is another page turn at the end of a chapter.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Good job, web-shopping enthusiasts, you’ve killed another drum shop!

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ummm....no, the owner is retiring after 40 years. Nothing to do with web shopping. As far as I know in a few conversations with Paul, his business was still going well.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paul closing the BDO has nothing to do with “web shopping”. He actually did very well during the pandemic despite having to close for a period. As soon as he opened up business picked right back up. He told me that during the shutdown he spent a lot of time with his grandkids and realized that that was what he wanted to do. I cant blame him. This has been a time of reassessment for many of us. It will be sad to see the store close. I remember when he opened and shared a little “insurance shack” With Zon guitars. He and I have had a long and fruitful relationship and I can only wish him the best. In the meantime. Ill be visiting as often as possible.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paul closing the BDO has nothing to do with “web shopping”. He actually did very well during the pandemic despite having to close for a period. As soon as he opened up business picked right back up. He told me that during the shutdown he spent a lot of time with his grandkids and realized that that was what he wanted to do. I cant blame him. This has been a time of reassessment for many of us. It will be sad to see the store close. I remember when he opened and shared a little “insurance shack” With Zon guitars. He and I have had a long and fruitful relationship and I can only wish him the best. In the meantime. Ill be visiting as often as possible.
If I'm not mistaken, that little shop with Zon was on Harlem near the 33. I remember I bought my very first Modern Drummer from Paul (Carl Palmer on cover) and from then on he was the "go-to" for everything. He helped me a lot choosing my only new kit purchase back in the 90's too.

Also, back in the 80's and 90's when clinics were happening more, I got to see Terry Bozzio, Liberty DeVito and others. End of an era for sure, but i'm very glad I got to be part of it all.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I got up to the shop a couple times a year. Paul helped me source out a batter-side snare for a Pioneer marching drum. I still use my logo cymbal bag. I happily played in at least two of the Woodstick events with a couple hundred other drummers sponsored by BDO. I’m glad Paul is able to retire and enjoy his time a little more.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, that little shop with Zon was on Harlem near the 33. I remember I bought my very first Modern Drummer from Paul (Carl Palmer on cover) and from then on he was the "go-to" for everything. He helped me a lot choosing my only new kit purchase back in the 90's too.

Also, back in the 80's and 90's when clinics were happening more, I got to see Terry Bozzio, Liberty DeVito and others. End of an era for sure, but i'm very glad I got to be part of it all.
Yes it was on Harlem.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No entrepenurs [sp] out there that could put their heads and money together to buy a drum business like this? If i was 40 yrs younger that would have been my dream job!

Snowdog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Always enjoyed stopping by and chatting with Paul, whether buying or selling/swapping gear or just catching up. Like a kid going into a candy store, I always had to come out with something. Paul was and is the best. Never be another like him, hope he enjoys many years of retirement!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny, I only live like 3 hours from there and have driven past it on the Thruway a trillion times over the years, but I never got to go there. Sounds like I missed something special.

edplaysthedrums

Reaction score
Paul is one of the finest men I've ever met, literally would give you the head off his snare, so to speak. I wish him all the best. We called BDO "Floyd's Barber Shop", because you can just go in shoot the sh*t and say hi. Will be missed.
Ed

Latest posts