Won't that extra gear make you louder?

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually when I come across comments like that, the person is worried that you will become more of a focal point than they are, like you're peacocking or something, and they have no way of competing for the audience's attention. They have an ideal visual of what a stage looks like with a band, and how they look in that situation. You brought an extra drum and destroyed his vision.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't need 9 cymbals and eight drums for some gigs it can make you clumsy.
and slow to react.
play the less is more - the "just right" theorem

Last edited:

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say don't bring a double pedal to a blues gig.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
you don't need 9 cymbals and eight drums for some gigs it can make you clumsy.
and slow to react.
the less is more - the "just right" theorem
I don't "need" more than snare, bass, ride, and hats. And don't see how bringing more devices to a gig makes one "clumsy." Besides, who appoints the judges who determine what's "needed" on a particular gig?

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Yes, many times over the years I'd encounter the directive, "just bring kick and snare, we wanna keep it down tonight." And yes, such people are excruciating.

Somewhat related are the fretty bettys who nut up when they see a larger set that isn't being constantly stroked stem-to-stern. They make me want to cart around a 78" gong and no mallet.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
My rock band was playing a party in a barn once and the 17 year old son of the benefactor wanted to sit in. When he sat at my 3 up/2 down with a pile of cymbals the first thing he said was, "I don't know how to play a set like this."

I just pointed and said, "Snare, bass drum, ride cymbal, hihats. That's the drumset. All the rest is optional color. Have fun."

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides, who appoints the judges who determine what's "needed" on a particular gig?

Maybe the band leader?

I kind of think he's within his right as leader to ask a question or even be concerned what things will sound like with all of that equipment. Maybe he has a certain stage look in mind and a sound that doesn't include extra toms or cymbals. And it's not like he told you to put the extra gear away. It was just a comment.

Again, if the guitar player bought a Marshal stack and a Flying V in for an ensemble jazz gig, would you not expect the band leader to say something?

LauraCai

Reaction score
I’m sure the leader did not mean this with the comment, but with everything else equal (playing dynamics, sticks, etc), a drum set with more drums might be slightly louder due to the resonance of the entire drum set when a drum is struck.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe the band leader?

I kind of think he's within his right as leader to ask a question or even be concerned what things will sound like with all of that equipment. Maybe he has a certain stage look in mind and a sound that doesn't include extra toms or cymbals. And it's not like he told you to put the extra gear away. It was just a comment.

Again, if the guitar player bought a Marshal stack and a Flying V in for an ensemble jazz gig, would you not expect the band leader to say something?
The leader has the right to say "the stage is small, so keep it basic," or "it's a really lively room and we need to keep the volume down" or even "I really like that kit you used for the last gig". A leader saying
"don't bring more than 2 toms or 1 crash" is micromanaging and condescending. As for the guitar example, I would expect the guitar player would have been told ahead of time what kind of gig it was and would know what to bring. Of course, we are talking about guitar players . . .

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m sure the leader did not mean this with the comment, but with everything else equal (playing dynamics, sticks, etc), a drum set with more drums might be slightly louder due to the resonance of the entire drum set when a drum is struck.

I think the key word there is "slightly," but in fact the comment that precipitated the thread was about the number of cymbals I brought. There was no discernible extra resonance from any part of the kit.

Malc

Reaction score
During the first lockdown I refurbished my 24" bass drum,and as it turned out rather well, I posted a pic of it onto my bands WhatsApp group. This generated a reply from our band leader commenting that a drum that big wouldn't work in the smaller pub/clubs we play as it would be too loud.
When we played our first gig after the lockdown restrictions ended,it was in just such a venue and I brought my 24"bd to try out,and again our illustrious leader complained it would be over the top,so I lied and said that I'd actually brought my 22".
Funnily enough,the levels were fine and I reckon no-one will ever know unless a tape measure ever makes an appearance!

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would never tell a guitarist he has Too Many pedals or Too Many strings.
But, as a drummer, I sometimes get told by my band mates to "scale back" or they would drop hints by calling me "Neil Peart", and I take it very personal.

On other occasions, they try to arrange a gig or a studio session to be Backlined so that I must play the house kit instead of bringing my own drum kit along.

It's Now been 4 months, with 2 shows and one studio session, that I've had to play on the house kit or someone else's drum kit.

Lately I am in the process of upgrading my drum kit, and my band mates are just keeping silent about it as though I were becoming "too good" for our band's music.
I thought they Needed a drummer, right!

"Too This" or whatever.
I can't even tune my drums right before we start rehearsing, because the guitarist needs to tune his gear and dial in his settings.
Oh really, the drummer gotta be quiet while primadonna tunes his gear?!
All the friggin time. And I'm growing to hate it to the point that I'm gonna lose my temper and burst out angry at my band mates.
Like Alucard releasing his vampire violence levels... that's Me now.

You wonder why Charlie Watts once punched Mick Jagger flat out cold, and put him in his place to Remind him Who is Who.
I wish I could do that, and put egos in deep check real quick.

I mean that. When other musicians come at me with that Be-Ess my first impulse is to knock their grillz out.
Because, why would they want me to join their band if I cannot play MY own instrument!

The drummer is Not a 3rd-class musician.
Bands need to stop treating the drummer as such, and work Together as a team with a common goal.
But first, leave the Egos home.
Because... the whole thing, to me, smells like one or more band members has an Ego.

Drummer's "too Loud" ?
Since when did Ferengi join the band!

Last edited: