"Wood" Bass Drum Beater

harry

Reaction score
Anyone here use a wood beater? I've pretty much used a "hard felt" beater all my life. How's it compare? I'm thinking about trying one on a new/old Speed King I have.
Harry

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would a wood beater add more "smack" to a kick, like a 22"? I need more definition in my kick without sacrificing body.

grumpy409

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone, I use wood beaters with a patch on all of my sets.....nice thump especially on the 28"s.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
grumpy409 said:
Greetings Everyone, I use wood beaters with a patch on all of my sets.....nice thump especially on the 28"s.

that`s how i would put it, a nice thump, it`s almost like it makes a rounder note.

harry

Reaction score
grumpy409 said:

"Thump"..is what I'm looking for. Think I'll order one!!
Harry

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
Used to use them wood beaters all the time (but have been using the hard felt part of a new multi-faceted Tama beater of late instead); they're rally cool and much better than hard plastic or acrylic beaters imho. Be aware that one needs to replace bass drum patches (like good 'ol Moleskins :D ) frequently to avoid damaging batter heads, tho... :idea1:

-elcid

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i normally use a ludwig vintage wooden beater with a speed king or speedmaster. i have previously used the gibraltar stick on pads for the skin. but leddybdp turned me on to the moleskin idea. in fact, my wife bought me a new box today. three big moleskins that could be cut in halves for 5 bucks i think. (dr. scholls......not just for toe corns any more!! :D ). all my bass drums are 22. the wood beater wakes them up a pretty good bit.

mike

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
mlayton said:
i normally use a ludwig vintage wooden beater with a speed king or speedmaster. i have previously used the gibraltar stick on pads for the skin. but leddybdp turned me on to the moleskin idea. in fact, my wife bought me a new box today. three big moleskins that could be cut in halves for 5 bucks i think. (dr. scholls......not just for toe corns any more!! :D ). all my bass drums are 22. the wood beater wakes them up a pretty good bit.

mike

Yes indeed...Moleskin parches...the BD batter heads saving mainstay of 'ol drumming farts the worldover since the '50s!!!... :D :D :D

-elcid

harry

Reaction score
Yes indeed...Moleskin parches...the BD batter heads saving mainstay of 'ol drumming farts the worldover since the '50s!!!... :D :D :D

-elcid[/quote]

MOLESKIN...Learn something new everyday!!

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
harry said:

Got something else too...did 'ya know Moleskin patches are made out of bull's foreskins and that's why are so though and durable?... :lol: :laughing6: :laughing8: :laughing5:

-elcid

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
elcid said:
harry said:

Got something else too...did 'ya know Moleskin patches are made out of bull's foreskins and that's why are so though and durable?... :lol: :laughing6: :laughing8: :laughing5:

-elcid

gee thanks elcid. that sure makes me feel good about handling them today.... :shock: :wink: :lol:

mike

grumpy409

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone, I used to use moleskin years ago. The beater patches that come with the Remo bass heads are tougher. I believe they are made with kevlar....the stuff used in bullit proof vests. When I moved up to a double pedal, I had to add a patch and could not cut it to fit with regular scissors. I had to nip at it with side cutters.

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
mlayton said:
gee thanks elcid. that sure makes me feel good about handling them today.... :shock: :wink: :lol: mike

Just wash 'yer hands with alcohol after handling the stuff and you'll be OK, Mike!... :lol:

-elcid

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
grumpy409 said:
Greetings Everyone, I used to use moleskin years ago. The beater patches that come with the Remo bass heads are tougher. I believe they are made with kevlar....the stuff used in bullit proof vests. When I moved up to a double pedal, I had to add a patch and could not cut it to fit with regular scissors. I had to nip at it with side cutters.

Kevlar, huh? Perhaps I should go modern and get me some of 'em Remo patches!

Hey...just noticed that I hit my 1500th post!... :D

-elcid

Drummer Dave

Reaction score
I use a wood beater with a small patch on my 20' bass drum. One of the things I just " had to have " but never use is a felt square beater. I never new they had one in wood.
Dave
4164SB said:
I use a square wood beater on clear batter heads...

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
elcid said:
grumpy409 said:

Kevlar, huh? Perhaps I should go modern and get me some of 'em Remo patches!

Hey...just noticed that I hit my 1500th post!... :D

-elcid

youre a 1.5 guru, or a .75 drum czar.....depends on how you look at it......nice milestone my friend..

mike

harry

Reaction score
mlayton said:
elcid said:
harry said:

-elcid

gee thanks elcid. that sure makes me feel good about handling them today.... :shock: :wink: :lol:

mike

+ 1 on that!!!
Harry

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to use a wood beater most of the time - but years ago, switched to the hard plastic side of the DW beater. And pretty much never with a patch or impact pad. Really don't care for the sound or the feel of impact pads for the lion's share of applications.

I find the hard beater against the bare head puts a nice point on the sound, yet allows me to play with full dynamics - loud to very soft.

David

Latest posts