Wood snare for <$300?

worldsbiggestjosh

Reaction score
I’m very impressed with the Tama Starclassic Performer B/B snare I just got. Pretty finish, diecast hoops, loud, $300.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pick your preferred dimension first; think hard.
Think long-term..
Pick, choose, settle on.
6.5 are special

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pick your preferred dimension first; think hard.
Pick, choose, settle on.
6.5 are special
It's for a friend. 5-5.5-6 could all work. Def 14". I think the best drum for the money is the crucial factor.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Tama SLP Fat Spuce is a great drum and gives drums thrice more expensive a run for the money. It’s usually listed at $329 but I know if you call the shops they will go lower.

Or buy used.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The best in what sense comfort; interest over the long haul. Big difference between a common 5 and and a 6.5.
Shallower drum the sound comes right back at ya. Deeper drum you can have that, plus ability to luxuriate a little bit. Then you have hoop decision. cast or Trip etc.
Pork Pie seems a fine choice if not seeking a vintage Lud.

Last edited:

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pork pie maple with the rosewood/zebra wood veneer Or a used pork pie cherry bubinga Both are incredible

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Pearl Modern Utility snare in 5.5 x 14". Street price is around $150 for the 5.5, $160 for the 6.5" and $199 for the 8" depth. Great drums. I hot rodded mine with some 42 strand wires and die-cast hoops I had lying around -- but they sounded fantastic right out of the box and really well built.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The best in what sense comfort; interest over the long haul. Big difference between a common 5 and and a 6.5.
Shallower drum the sound comes right back at ya. Deeper drum you can have that, plus ability to luxuriate a little bit. Then you have hoop decision. cast or Trip etc.
Pork Pie seems a fine choice if not seeking a vintage Lud.
I’m looking for a good deal for a friend who wants to buy an upgrade for another friend. Quality. There are a million sounds. They may all be useful. Best means quality construction, good sound.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I thought the INDe's would be out his range but yes, by all means, it's a great drum. I have three!

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know if they still have them, but GC was selling an 8x14 black Ludwig snare for $249 a while back. I snagged one to use on rock gigs, and have been really pleased.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Might cost you closer to $400 but a 60s one ply Slingerland will sound great and be worth what you paid for it or more down the line. Might have to deal with a testie clam shell throw off tho.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score

Latest posts