Woodstock, anyone here go?

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As we are celebrating the 50th anniversary I’ve been thinking about the festival and wondering if anyone here went and wants to share their experience. Thanks!

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
did not go, but played the song tonight at our gig......................and avoided the brown acid.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We lived about 2 hours north of the festival site. My two older brothers, who were in their late teens at the time, pleaded with my parents to take the family car. My parents refused, which was wise given that people had to abandon their cars miles from the site.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Was at the 25 th reunion in '94. If you remember they sold tickets Ticketron (mail in) ahead of time ($160 ) there were designated parking areas some which were 40 mi from the site. All designed to alleviate traffic at the site. Busses were supposed to pick up at the parking sites a lot of which never happened. I know a few that went and never even got to the concert site.

By the time we got to Woodstock (actually Bethel) Staurday morning, the town was in fkn ruins, the gates and fences were all crashed down, we walked right into the site , no ticket, no nothing. Tents and passed out bodies everywhere , it was pretty muddy and fkd up looking. We got lucky,cops lets up park our Rv out on the highway exit ramp and got a ride to the site from some locals with flatbeds with moving blankets for 10 bucks. The whole scene was absolutely crazy and by nightfall the place was packed, 9 inch nails mosh pit was a most scary thing, we got out of there for the night before we got trampled into the mud.
I'm good for a long long time~!

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was in Vietnam. Central Highlands, some of the most mountainous jungle terrain in the country, with the 173d Abn. Heard about it on AFN Radio, and read about it 2 weeks latter.
That is what I think of when I 'hear' Woodstock.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went. Saw Richie Havens, and split right after. The crowds got me nervous. I was not feeling well, and could to bear to stick it out.
That, or I saw the movie 5 times, and imagined I was there.
But seriously, I made the trek.
Good movie tho.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Nope, but wish I had. I was 15 and on vacation with my family.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
that month I turned 13 so the juices were flowing but was not really aware of it....until the Life magazine came out.....and then the triple album and began the pouring over that..

Last edited:

KevinD

Reaction score
Yesterday I played a gig up there at Bethel Woods for a semi-private event, part of the 50th Celebration (not on the main stage). Well attended, a number of folks who lived in the area back (along with some attendees) in '69 were there and related some interesting stories.

Yesterday there were a lot of warnings of massive traffic congestion in the area due to people showing up to commemorate things but the authorities were pretty good at filtering out anyone without a ticket or some sort of pass. In general things were pretty subdued, Santana and the Doobies were playing last night, (I didn't stay for the show) but the "activity level" was probably about the same as any normal concert up there.
I had a great time and got to play with some really strong players that I had never met before.

I grew up not too far from there but for the original event I was too young (just learning to walk) so I didn't make the first one :)

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would have loved to attend the 50th but for the hot shower and flush toilet buzzkill.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
My minister attended as a teen and I have a good friend who was one of the camera men onstage for the movie. I did attend the Sky River festival near Seattle the year before Woodstock though.

Philly James

Reaction score
I was 14 that year, so no chance I was going. I grew up in a fairly conservative German-American household, so I never even thought of asking permission. I heard older kids talking about it, but I probably wouldn’t have liked it anyway at that young of an age.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
A sort of ironic story. I have been a roofing contractor for 35 years...just retired. I got a call one night about a cedar roof job in Newington, NH. The guy was very pleasant on the phone, and somehow we got into the discussion of the arts and music. He said he was involved in films and I asked if there was anything I would know that he had been involved with, and he said Woodstock. It was Michael Wadlieigh the whole time. He even wanted to come see me play locally, This was his girl friend's family farm and they were going to spruce it up.

It was a trip meeting him; he met me walking down a dirt road all dressed up like 40 years hadn't passed. One thing I remember was the red, white and blue headband he was wearing. A firm hand shake and then we went into the farm house to discuss roofing this place. As it turned out I never got the job, for whatever reason...probably price. I thought this was such a chance meeting!

Last edited:

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also 14, and wished I was there, however, for some people who attended, they had a great time but others had a miserable time. I often wonder what my experience would have been. Either way, it was the most important event of the era in terms of the hippie movement and the anti war crowd.
It is and will always be my favorite album and movie.
To you GCort49 and all the other Viet Nam Vets on this site, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
My minister attended as a teen and I have a good friend who was one of the camera men onstage for the movie. I did attend the Sky River festival near Seattle the year before Woodstock though.
Did you see Zeppelin and The Monkey's?

-------------------------------------------------------

My father's side of the family is from New York, although Long Island.
My oldest cousin was about 17 at the time.
My uncle wouldn't let him go. He told me he was so pissed he spent the whole weekend in his bedroom.
He did mention, however, that when he opened his bedroom window, he could hear the concert.
That's pretty loud, consider the concert was 85 miles away.

...what I'm wondering is when are those dam buses they sent from Monticello going to show up? :scratch::dontknow:

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was in Vietnam. Central Highlands, some of the most mountainous jungle terrain in the country, with the 173d Abn. Heard about it on AFN Radio, and read about it 2 weeks latter.
That is what I think of when I 'hear' Woodstock.
Either way, you would have been up to your ears in mud, rain, bugs, poor bathing facilities, lack of food....but stateside, at least nobody would have been shooting at you.

Latest posts