Woodstock, anyone here go?

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was actually in Woodstock that day but I was there to see Belew, Levin, Mastelotto et al. There were many many many drum fills. Like a lot.

sptucker

Reaction score
I was 7 in 1969. Too young to attend Woodstock (since my parents weren't hippies), but old enough to still remember The Moonwalk!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was 15 . It'd be a couple more years before I went to live with the hippies and blow my mind . I had a lot of catching up to do .

I have two chums who were there . One claims it was outtasight , the other remembers it as a hideous experience .

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I was 12. My older brother was 19 and he went. He was an actual Hippie! (I was a bit too late -- a wanna be through most of the 70's.)
My brother had a miserable time, said he actually had to sleep in a mud-puddle.

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was 12 too, and pissed I couldn't go. Looking back - I'm kinda glad I didn't!

There was still a couple more years of hippies, Frank.
butchblake2.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My parents TRIED to get there in 69' as newlyweds, but they got stuck and didn't make it in.......suck for them and me!

I thought the 50th didn't happen due to no site???

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I went to see Social Distortion and Flogging Molly Sunday.

It was 97 degrees when the show started. T-shirts were $30 and beers were $11. That's enough in 1969 money to fill a VW Microbus with enough gas, sandwiches and brown acid to make it to Woodstock and last all weekend.

Yeah, I get it, the parking was a little challenging at Woodstock and there was some mud, but c'mon, it's been 50 years! Leave it alone, already.

KevinD

Reaction score
Michael Lang, one of the original Woodstock festival promoter/producers failed in trying to put together a large festival that would rival the ’94 version in terms of size and high profile talent but he could not pull that off for various reasons.

One of his challenges was finding a location that was willing to take on a festival of that scale. He was unsuccessful in securing a venue. I think that securing the venue was just another problem on top of the heap, especially the fact that the financial backers and a lot of the talent had pulled out over the course of time.
There was a much more subdued (and unrelated) commemorative concert event held at Bethel Woods, site of the original festival over the anniversary weekend.

Ringo played Friday night, Santana and the Doobies on Saturday night ( It was rumored that Santana was going to play their original ’69 set but I didn’t stick around to see what happened).

Creedence (or at least John Fogarty) played Sunday but some bad weather put a dent in that. (They get some nasty storms that come through there.)

I grew up in the area so I knew a number of folks who attended the ’69 festival, or worked at it in some way.

It was one of my old boss’s first days on the job at the phone company, he was like 20 and they put him in charge of all the phone lines (and booths) for the weekend… The way things ended up he figured it was also his last days on the job too :)

My dad’s friend was a NY State Trooper… not a favorable recollection.

Many attendees I’ve spoken to over the years don’t have a lot of great things to say about it, to many it was miserable experience, but experiences vary I guess, it is obvious that a lot of folks had a great time. In any case, there is a certain cachet they all get for being able to say they were there.

In fact I read somewhere that although ~500K attended the original festival, there are about 5 million people who now claim to have been there.

Latest posts