Woohoo! I just got my first ever custom BD head....

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gigs are picking up and in 2 weeks my band plays its first unrestricted outdoors festival, no masks, no bubbles, no nothing. So I've started dressing the drums up for the occasion with custom heads. Like a kid on his birthday.... View attachment 510142
Very cool! Who made yours? Did you design it?

I just got mine last week from DrumArt. I had a great time making it. Problem is, I designed so many it was hard to choose just one!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you the SalebarbeS or the Alebarbe ??
Its Salebarbes plural... It's a sort of round fishing net that you put chum in, throw in the water somewhere accessible and you go and pick up whatever the sea brought at a later time. Generally used by poachers for some illegal lobster diners ... Since we're a band of guys originally from different fishing villages on the east coast of Canada that were highly unlikely to ever play together, we thought it was a fitting name...

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since we play a blend of Cajun and country, our songs often contain some "Ti-Fer" (litt. Little Iron) wich is a traditional cajun triangle. On a gig just before the pandemic, the bass player who plays the Ti-Fer on the acoustic songs, broke his... Breaking aTi-Fer is unheard of since it is made out of iron almost 1/2 inch thick. We thought, if we rock enough to break iron bars, man, the broken Ti-Fer has got to become our Logo. So that's why if you look closely at the upper right corner in the logo, you see a break....

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in 1990 I was playing my Ludwig Classics (with their 26" bass drums) in an experimental/fusion band. When we began playing at clubs I had a printing company I worked with make a couple of clear transfers with the band's logo, and I put them on a couple of 26" Remo Ebony heads. My drums proudly wore these heads for the next three years until the band broke up. I kept the heads as souvenirs of a great band.

IMG_0846_S.jpg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in 1990 I was playing my Ludwig Classics (with their 26" bass drums) in an experimental/fusion band. When we began playing at clubs I had a printing company I worked with make a couple of clear transfers with the band's logo, and I put them on a couple of 26" Remo Ebony heads. My drums proudly wore these heads for the next three years until the band broke up. I kept the heads as souvenirs of a great band.

View attachment 510173
Dog Neutral.... Love it!!!

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is Dog Neutral ???
It was the end result of a band-naming session that dragged on for so long that everyone was getting punchy. One of us said we should call the band "Dog Park" and somebody answered "No, we should call it Dog Drive" and somebody else said "How about Dog Neutral?" And we all laughed so hard we decided that would be the band's name. Just enough Dada to perfectly fit that band's personality.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drum Art is the king of heads. I've got several different ones that they've made me over the years. Their customer service and response used to be great, but I've contacted them twice since the beginning of the year to inquire about getting another head made, but zero response in almost eight months now. Anybody know what's going on with them? I still want to continue doing business with them, but hey, this is stoopid.

IMG_2066.JPG

2020-08-22-006.JPG

2020-07-17-Perrys023.JPG

2016-04-23-001.jpg

2019-03-10-045-medium.jpg

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My not really a band but I registered the name anyway. I have no bass drum to put it on though. And it doesn't seem right to put it on just one since it features a double kick. (The Bones of Rath were a gang of bullies in the kid's radio drama "Adventures in Odyssey")

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My not really a band but I registered the name anyway. I have no bass drum to put it on though. And it doesn't seem right to put it on just one since it features a double kick. (The Bones of Rath were a gang of bullies in the kid's radio drama "Adventures in Odyssey")

Looks to me like you're in the market for a bunch of trombone players!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yeah - I've always loved the JB horns. And any bari/bone heavy section. My dream has been to do hard rock with an integral horn section. Not just hits on a couple tunes, but pretty much take AC/DC + Def Leppard, replace the 2nd guitar player with a horn section, put em in a bag, shake, and see what comes out. It'll probably never happen, but I'd love to get a group that plays to keep their chops up and maybe puts on a small show a couple times a year to have some goals.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drum Art is the king of heads. I've got several different ones that they've made me over the years. Their customer service and response used to be great, but I've contacted them twice since the beginning of the year to inquire about getting another head made, but zero response in almost eight months now. Anybody know what's going on with them? I still want to continue doing business with them, but hey, this is stoopid.

View attachment 510217

View attachment 510218

View attachment 510219

View attachment 510220

View attachment 510221
Great heads... (I'm a dog afficionado...)

I'm surprised to hear about poor custommer service from DA, they've contacted me first thing the next morning ftom my order to get a better quality file, two days later the heads were shipped, they arrived in three days. So I've got absolutely no complaints there. Maybe the boss took some time away from the computer during Covid and your messages are from the back log that he hasn't had time to open yet. Or maybe your adress somehow got assigned to the spam folder, It happens often in my mailboxes that random emails just start getting caught by the spam folder. I don't know...

Last edited: