Workhorse Single Pedal

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to streamline my setup and get back to using what I really need and what has worked best for me in the past. One of my very favorite pedals was a Tama ImperialStar from about '77. I used this pedal exclusively for probably 15 years or more until it started feeling a bit sketchy. This was a nylon strap drive pedal, which I think was before companies really started using chain drive. Next was a Pearl P120 which was a chain drive, few bells & whistles, but a very solid dependable pedal which I also used quite a few years. I've gone back and forth with strap and chain drive pedals through the years with a variety of Mapex, Ludwig, Yamaha, etc. I like the feel of a strap drive but also feel that I get a bit more power with the chain drive. And, at my age, I'll all the take the extra help I can get. So, long story short, I'm thinking about looking for another Pearl P120. as I said I don't care about all the bells & whistles, infinite adjustments, etc. I don't even care if it has a footplate because from what I remember there wasn't all that much difference between the pedals I've owned with and without footplates. Plus, it's way easier to haul with no footplate. What y'all think about the Pearl P120? Other comments? Thanks!

PEARL P120 PEDAL.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
One thing I think.. helps them is replacing the stock beater with a Speed King/early Tama felt-type old-school- beater..

All are variations on the original (what was it gretsch/camco/fleetfoot)

the DW now is called (was 5000) - w/3 variants
good luck to ya.

Last edited:

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of the benefits of newer pedals with adjustment options is exactly what you mention - more power with less effort - obtained by cam shapes and adjustment options. The pedal shown is a basic pedal all companies make with standard features. If you don't need/require the extra stability of a base plate or any adjustment features, and like Pearl, the 530 is the current model and has an offset hoop clamp. It's dual chain, though.

You can find used 120's. Because they are "vintage" you may pay more than a new 530, or pedal from another company. Something to consider.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Jordan,

My pedal of choice is a Camco-by-Tama chain drive....since 1987...

Tama_MyCamcoByTamaChainDrive001.jpg

...does the job for me.

As for your question, the P120 is one of the great all-time pedals for a reason.
It works. Always.
If you're after a new pedal, it appears the P530 is the current version...

1589506886498.png

...Looks like a decent pedal, but then, so was the P120.
Whichever one you want, get it. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...also, Tama makes a nice little version of their Iron Cobra (which just about all of their pedals are based on now).
The HP30

1589507552942.png

Browny

Reaction score
I can't say a bad word about my Tama Iron Cobra 'Powerglide'. Been putting up with me stomping on it for 16 years with no maintenance aside from oiling the chain once about a decade ago and replacing the spring when it failed after wearing out. I've worn through a few old-school large felt beaters in that time. It doesn't fold down like that Pearl one, but I tend to like the solid base pedals for their stability and rigidity.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use a P-100 Pearl at my home office mess around kit (with a vintage Ludwig felt beater). However, my tried and true is a DW5000 accelerator - in my studio and also have one I gig with. Solid, reliable, great quality, and you can get them used in good shape for well under $150.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pearl Eliminator for most single pedal gigs. I just upgraded to Canopus bearings before the shutdown, so it will likely be even more dangerous. It's bit hefty compared to some, but it's idiot proof, easily adjustable, tough, and just plain works.

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
I'm trying to streamline my setup and get back to using what I really need and what has worked best for me in the past. One of my very favorite pedals was a Tama ImperialStar from about '77. I used this pedal exclusively for probably 15 years or more until it started feeling a bit sketchy. This was a nylon strap drive pedal, which I think was before companies really started using chain drive. Next was a Pearl P120 which was a chain drive, few bells & whistles, but a very solid dependable pedal which I also used quite a few years. I've gone back and forth with strap and chain drive pedals through the years with a variety of Mapex, Ludwig, Yamaha, etc. I like the feel of a strap drive but also feel that I get a bit more power with the chain drive. And, at my age, I'll all the take the extra help I can get. So, long story short, I'm thinking about looking for another Pearl P120. as I said I don't care about all the bells & whistles, infinite adjustments, etc. I don't even care if it has a footplate because from what I remember there wasn't all that much difference between the pedals I've owned with and without footplates. Plus, it's way easier to haul with no footplate. What y'all think about the Pearl P120? Other comments? Thanks!

View attachment 441525
It’s what I use

simple effective and inexpensive

imho some of the real expensive pedals just seem to have so much
“Stuff” down they feel kinda heavy
But tons of great stuff out there
50 years ago we had a sped king mostly

I do use a wooden beater though

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got one - Pearl P120 on ebay in great condition for $34 shipped. No frills, and it feels very solid for not having a foot plate. It had one of the old school Slobeat felt beaters on it. This should work out great.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you found what you're happy with, and that certainly sounds like a great price. For me it is the Tama Classic. I like the one I've been playing so much that I'm about to buy another one so I'll have one for the home and one for the gig set. I may even sell off my other single pedals at that point.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Its still a good pedal!
The one in that picture I got back in 1990. Still works great. :thumbup:

Elvis

Drm1979

Reaction score
I know that this thread started out about pearl bass drum pedals. Unfortunately I've not played one. However I do use a pearl hihat pedal that I've had for about 23 years. And with the exception of having to re-attach the chain to the pedal one time I have had zero problems with this pedal. So I can attest to the fact that pearl hardware durable and very well built. My current bass pedal is a dw3000 single chain drive pedal. No crazy bells and whistles. Just one adjustment spring and a foot plate. But I've had that one for 17 or 18 years and it is a workhorse. Only had to oil the chain once due to getting squecky.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know that this thread started out about pearl bass drum pedals. Unfortunately I've not played one. However I do use a pearl hihat pedal that I've had for about 23 years. And with the exception of having to re-attach the chain to the pedal one time I have had zero problems with this pedal. So I can attest to the fact that pearl hardware durable and very well built. My current bass pedal is a dw3000 single chain drive pedal. No crazy bells and whistles. Just one adjustment spring and a foot plate. But I've had that one for 17 or 18 years and it is a workhorse. Only had to oil the chain once due to getting squecky.
I also have a Pearl Hi-hat stand I've owned for over 20 yrs. It's always been totally dependable. I'm not a fan of their tom mounts but other than that I've always had real good luck with all pearl hardware for the most part.