WORLD’S WORST DRUM KEY

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot I had this. Found it the other day among my kindergartner’s “tool set”. He uses it as a little hammer, and that’s all it’s good for.

One big problem with this HipTrix key: The head is too small to fit the head of a tension rod. Completely useless.

How hard is it to get that correct? How hard is it to manufacture the tool correctly to do one simple and specific task? I can laugh now, but I was pretty ticked off when I first tried to use it.

Are tension rods on drums in Shenzhen China across the board smaller than those used in the rest of the world?

I think it was $4.95 and I got my money back, not first without them insisting it is a standard key that fits standard tension rods.

Anyone have one of these un-HipTrix and does yours actually work?
D2CFE575-2E54-4CCC-A1E1-BEC70643D819.jpeg

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I clicked on this expecting to see a Dunnett drumkey...absolute horror to use.
I bought one of those Dunnett drum keys. It is off balance and in tight configurations, does not work well. I just don't use it.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the '70s I had a couple of Ludwig drumkeys that must've been made of pot metal. The first time I tried to tighten down a head the part of the key that fit over the rod split apart and disintegrated. I replaced them with a Rogers (steel) key that never failed.

P.S. My current Ludwig drumkeys work just fine, so Ludwig must've fixed the problem.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Back in the '70s I had a couple of Ludwig drumkeys that must've been made of pot metal. The first time I tried to tighten down a head the part of the key that fit over the rod split apart and disintegrated. I replaced them with a Rogers (steel) key that never failed.

P.S. My current Ludwig drumkeys work just fine, so Ludwig must've fixed the problem.
I did the same thing to a new one recently, after light use.

Last edited:

langmick

Reaction score
I bought one of those Dunnett drum keys. It is off balance and in tight configurations, does not work well. I just don't use it.
I got it for cheap, and still want my money back. :)

Not sure why in the heck it's magnetic, and I will never need that much leverage to tune a drum, maybe a marching snare, but doubtful. Pretty piece of metal, chrome is shiny, but a really weird design.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this drum key doesn't fit any drums? Sounds pretty worthless to me.

Conversely, one of the best keys I use is a Tama with a little knob on the top of it so you can spin the lugs when they're loose enough.
Yup. I love those. There are about 4 laying around from various Tama drums I bought. One of them broke down slightly in the socket and I forget which one it is. ha

BNK

Reaction score

Best drum key IMHO

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
[QUOTE="langmick, post: 2055365, member: 5825]
Not sure why in the heck it's magnetic...
[/QUOTE]

I'm not acquainted with the Dunnett key, but the magnet is a useful feature. It silences them when left on a tension rod. No rattle.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I like that Tama key too.
I also like the Pearl key with the large nubs on the ends for spinning the tension rods up or down.
I have a Yamaha Marching key with long "arms" for quick changes and it spins really fast and easily too.
I put Ludwig keys (on a cord) on all my snares (because they are Ludwig snares, so...) the quality is just fine for tweaking the tuning on a gig, or recording--PLUS I always have one actually handy, since it's not hiding under the bass drum haha!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another bad one...the Trixon Plastic job with the metal insert. Over time, the plastic pulls away from the metal tab so that your spinning the plastic outside, but the tension rod aint turning!!! Want to talk about frustration? Only good thing is that with the Trixon slotted rods, you can whip out a screwdriver and tighten that way.