WORLD’S WORST DRUM KEY

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not my worst but definitely my oldest and most cherished. I have no idea who made it but I purchased it in the 80s along with a my silver sparkle Mercury. Miss those drums!
Tackle instruments makes a version of this. Came with my stick bag.

C588296A-59D4-41AD-8B44-B3CA44B231CE.jpeg

langmick

Reaction score
[QUOTE="langmick, post: 2055365, member: 5825]
Not sure why in the heck it's magnetic...
I'm not acquainted with the Dunnett key, but the magnet is a useful feature. It silences them when left on a tension rod. No rattle.
[/QUOTE]

Not when the sizable mass on the handle causes it to flop off and onto the floor. It's a heavy unbalanced piece of metal and gets in the way of quick head changes. A strange design.

This is it.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/gibraltar-r-class-e-drum-key-metal

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then you have Arno and his drumkeys....

KevinD

Reaction score
In the early 80s I acquired a really cool looking Paiste drum key. Metallic blue with the orange Paiste logo with an orange racing stripe going around it, also had a hook/loop thing through the top of it so you could hook it to something.
The only problem was that the barrel of the drum key was so thick that I couldn't fit it on any of my drum's lugs as it would hit the rims (Pearl toms and a Supraphonic) and bind up. I tried persuading it...that just marked up everything.. It looked cool but was pretty useless until I put the grinding wheel to it.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides not working for you, that Hiptrix key looks like an ergonomic nightmare!
Best drum key i've found so far (after trying a bunch) is the Ahead "Grip key". It's comfortable (the grip portion is curved and wrapped in silicone), fits tension rods like a glove and has a perfect larger size compared to other drum key's:

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 2.29.56 AM.png

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I love this bruiser. It doesn't always fit where you need it to for memory locks, and you never need even a fraction of the torque it's capable of, but it's a champ at spinning tension rods off for quicker head changes.

Core Creek

Reaction score
So this drum key doesn't fit any drums? Sounds pretty worthless to me.

Conversely, one of the best keys I use is a Tama with a little knob on the top of it so you can spin the lugs when they're loose enough.
I recently found one of these buried with some of my drum stuff and it is amazing! Best I’ve ever used.

Worst... a plastic clip on key I bought 20 years ago that was designed to clip onto a stand. Great idea, but it was made of plastic and after about two uses it could no longer tune up a snare and started disintegrating.

Last edited:

fusseltier

Reaction score
There's no name on it, but in the Philippines they sell a Chinese tuning tool that barely if at all, is completely useless because it is too large of the square and at best you'll just ruin your tuning lugs. Just get a pearl, sonor or tama tool to be safe and able to use the tool. No generic Chinese tools.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
These Remo ones are big, but nice. I use two of them when I'm replacing heads.

This Evans one is nice too.

I have that Evans key and it’s a wonderful piece of tool engineering and execution, from its knurled top to the magnetic bottom. My favorite key.

Now where the heck did I put it?

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot I had this. Found it the other day among my kindergartner’s “tool set”. He uses it as a little hammer, and that’s all it’s good for.

One big problem with this HipTrix key: The head is too small to fit the head of a tension rod. Completely useless.

How hard is it to get that correct? How hard is it to manufacture the tool correctly to do one simple and specific task? I can laugh now, but I was pretty ticked off when I first tried to use it.

Are tension rods on drums in Shenzhen China across the board smaller than those used in the rest of the world?

I think it was $4.95 and I got my money back, not first without them insisting it is a standard key that fits standard tension rods.

Anyone have one of these un-HipTrix and does yours actually work?
View attachment 480961
maybe it is a metric skate key?

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another bad one...the Trixon Plastic job with the metal insert. Over time, the plastic pulls away from the metal tab so that your spinning the plastic outside, but the tension rod aint turning!!! Want to talk about frustration? Only good thing is that with the Trixon slotted rods, you can whip out a screwdriver and tighten that way.
will a dime fit?