Worldmax Brass Snare

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Got a line on a WM 6.5 brass snare.
Looked at YTs of it but would like some opinions here as what you think of them.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The WorldMax drums are absolutely great drums. I have owned several, especially when you take into account that MANY of the lower-cost black on brass drums from major manufacturers use exactly the same shell. Ludwig's Black Magic (I just bought another one of those), Pork Pie BOB, PDP had a version, they were all the same drum. They tune easily and have a fantastic tone and response. In fact, the first one I bought was a Ludwig Black Magic after doing an A/B test with a Black Beauty at my local shop. I bought the Magic because I felt that it was 90% of the tone for less than half the money. No one listening to the drum is going to miss that 10% anyway.
Bottom line, if it's a good deal, you'll be glad you bought it!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the WorldMax 7x13 in the "Deluxe" hardware setup. The single-flanged hoops and tube lugs are all solid brass, and that drum is incredible.

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I love mine - I had a snare I wasn't using so I bought a pre-drilled 6.5x14 ( for 8 tube lugs only ) and switched the hardware. I use it quite a bit

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive owned a 6.5 BB for several years but had to sell it.
I agree with you, Loss,about that 10%.
Im doing a swap in a few days.
Looking forward to it!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I owned three different models of WM and each was a gem. I'd put the 5x14 up against a Supra any way of the week. In fact I also owned a Supra Brass Edition and the WM was more than it's equal. I preferred the WM. The only reason why I don't own any now is I "discovered" that my preferred snare drum sound is from wood (with a hammered bronze and hammered aluminum coming in a close second.) And, no, WM is not paying me to say this :)

varatrodder

Reaction score
I have the 6.5" with 8 lugs. Built it with parts from DFD. It's my primary snare, and it's every bit as good (if not better) as most other brass drums I've played. As others mentioned, it's the same shell used on several other brands' black brass drums.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I owned three different models of WM and each was a gem. I'd put the 5x14 up against a Supra any way of the week. In fact I also owned a Supra Brass Edition and the WM was more than it's equal. I preferred the WM. The only reason why I don't own any now is I "discovered" that my preferred snare drum sound is from wood (with a hammered bronze and hammered aluminum coming in a close second.) And, no, WM is not paying me to say this :)
Sure,sure. Lol
Im sold!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s a nice deal on a 7x13 Black Magic...

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I owned a Pork Pie BOB 14x6.5" for many years; toured with it all over the U.S. and tracked several sessions with it.

Badge said "Made by an American" on it and Bill Detamore's signature and handwritten serial number inside the shell, but Bill once told me it was an early run drum, as most BOBs were apparently made overseas. I'm not positive if Bill sourced the shells from WorldMax and then did all the assembly in the U.S., or if it was indeed a 100% American made shell.

In short, if it was the WorldMax shell, then those WorldMax shells are outstanding.