header.nohb.html

Worldmax Brass Snare

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
They also make a 12” black beauty model.

Except for the strainer those are great snares.
I’ve had only one WorldMax strainer with a problem, and it was Pearl-branded. One drum key screw stripped out its receiving hole threads. Other than that, I have had a ton of their throwoffs and they do a fine job. I’m not sure why people would complain about them, other than being less flashy or fancy than the big names.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve had only one WorldMax strainer with a problem, and it was Pearl-branded. One drum key screw stripped out its receiving hole threads. Other than that, I have had a ton of their throwoffs and they do a fine job. I’m not sure why people would complain about them, other than being less flashy or fancy than the big names.
Because the old ones would losse their tension very quick, or even went to off mode whilst playing.

I have had many in the early 00's and they almost all had the same issue that the ''complaining'' people had. It almost became a running gag on the fora back in the days. It seems you had luck.

This model mostly:
1663937573247.png

But it was an easy fix to replace it with something better.

I much preferred their old box model strainers, or even the Pearl-like model.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Because the old ones would losse their tension very quick, or even went to off mode whilst playing.

I have had many in the early 00's and they almost all had the same issue that the ''complaining'' people had. It almost became a running gag on the fora back in the days. It seems you had luck.

This model mostly:
View attachment 584086
But it was an easy fix to replace it with something better.

I much preferred their old box model strainers, or even the Pearl-like model.
Oh I see. That’s not the strainer I’m talking about. Not sure I had one of those at any point.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The tube lugs on their drums need some kind of lug locks on them, par for the course with tube lugs in general

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned one of these Taiwanese black brass snares with brass tube luges and single flange brass hoops . As good as any high ender out there . I generally avoid brass snares , but this one stood alone . 5x14 .

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I did not know all that either! Thanks for sharing it. I had heard that Rob Kampa was in charge now but didn’t know the story.
A tad more info leading up to Worldmax.
(lv my Taiwanese Imports now even more!)

Regarding the early 80's Exports and other models> (from pearl drum FB page)These were Made in Taichung, Taiwan at the Pearl factory. Interesting fact, the plant manager and brains of the factory was a gentleman named David Lo. In 1994, he left Pearl and started his own company, Worldmax.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting...Wasn't Mr Esposito of the new Walberg and Auge using Rob Kampa for new stuff...explains why it looks so much like Worldmax.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not know all that either! Thanks for sharing it. I had heard that Rob Kampa was in charge now but didn’t know the story.
I met Walt Johnston years ago - he was a great guy. He had done wonderful things at Pearl, and had a chance to join Gretsch in the late 80's, but that didn't pan out.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
A tad more info leading up to Worldmax.
(lv my Taiwanese Imports now even more!)

Regarding the early 80's Exports and other models> (from pearl drum FB page)These were Made in Taichung, Taiwan at the Pearl factory. Interesting fact, the plant manager and brains of the factory was a gentleman named David Lo. In 1994, he left Pearl and started his own company, Worldmax.
I think that factory was owned by Reliance and made the CB and Maxwin/Maxtone drums too right?

They looked to have the same hardware as the Pearl models too.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the one pictured above was pretty useless. Lost tension by itself etc.
Now I have newer Worldmax that has one that looks like basic Pearl-style strainer. That works fine.
Yes that’s what I’m thinking of. I’ve used a lot of those. They have several designs, different styles all on the same mechanism. Here is one, on my bronze Sensitone.

FA4E1EC7-103C-47CA-BE42-4F0B9ABC6C9B.jpeg

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think that factory was owned by Reliance and made the CB and Maxwin/Maxtone drums too right?

They looked to have the same hardware as the Pearl models too.
I'm not sure there's any connection

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's any connection

I was mistaken. Maxwin and CB were lower brands of Pearl. Like PDP and DW.

Here is my old 14x8 Maxwin that was also sold under the Pearl flag with “better” shells (I think it sounds great, even with the lesser shell).

It had a grey paint inside to hide the Luan.